Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Stan Lee's Spidey Score Settled
    #3654890 - 01/20/05 07:51 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...movies_eo/15744

A court in New York has ruled that the 82-year-old creator of Spider-Man is due millions of dollars in unpaid profits from Marvel Enterprises for the success of the Spider-Man franchise and other Marvel Comics-based films over the past seven years.

U.S. District Court Judge Robert W. Sweet found in favor of the comic-book legend on Monday and ruled that Lee is entitled to a 10 percent share of profits earned by Marvel since November 1998.

No official number has yet been released, but considering Marvel has banked $50 million alone for the first Tobey Maguire- and Kirsten Dunst (news)-starring Spidey flick, Lee is up for some major cash.

"It could be tens of millions of dollars," Lee's lawyer Howard Graff told the Associated Press. "That's no exaggeration."

As for Lee, who oversaw such unforgettable characters as Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Incredible Hulk, Daredevil and the Fantastic Four, he says he is thrilled with the settlement but unhappy that he had to resort to legal wrangling to get paid.

"I am very gratified by the judge's decision, although, since I am deeply fond of Marvel and the people there, I sincerely regret that this situation had to come to this," he told the Hollywood Reporter. (The combined worldwide box-office grosses for Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, X-Men, X2, Hulk and Daredevil exceed $2.7 billion, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com, of which Marvel gets a small percentage. Spider-Man 3 and X3 are in the pipeline and the long-awaited movie adaptation of the Fantasic Four is due out this summer. A big-screen version of another Marvel favorite, Iron Man, is also in the works.)

Marvel reps say they plan to appeal the decision, and attorney John Turitzen was quick to point out that Lee won't be receiving cash from some of the merchandise from Spider-Man and The Hulk films, which didn't fall under this ruling.

"We intend to appeal those matters on which we did not prevail and to continue to contest vigorously the claims on which the court did not rule," Turitzin said in a statement.

Nevertheless, Graff calls the win a resounding victory and admonishes Marvel to pay the piper.

"The court essentially ruled in our favor virtually across the board," Graff said. "This is a sweeping victory for Mr. Lee."

The ruling is a long time coming. Lee began with Marvel in 1939, and served as writer, editor, art director, head writer and publisher for the company before effectively retiring from active duty and becoming chairman emeritus. He filed the lawsuit in November 2002, pointing out a clause in his contract that entitled him to 10 percent of TV, movie and merchandising deals, an amount he thought was significantly higher than the $1 million-per-year salary he currently receives. Marvel tried to find a loophole in the wording.

But it seems that Lee has prevailed. "In short, the first sentence of [the contract] is not ambiguous," Sweet said in his ruling "It provides that Lee is entitled to share in the results of Marvel's arrangements for movie and television productions involving Marvel characters."

Lee's lawyer says the victory is bittersweet.

"The foundation of [Marvel] was based on characters he created, and to have to ultimately sue to enforce an agreement under which they were supposed to give him his fair share was very disturbing," Graff told the Hollywood Reporter. "We're certainly hoping that Marvel, after they recover from the sting of this decision, will determine that it's time to own up to its obligations to Mr. Lee."

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Stan Lee's Spidey Score Settled [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3654917 - 01/20/05 07:59 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Stan Lee. Good on him.

I once owned Issue #1 of several Marvel comics and traded them away not realizing they would ever be worth serious coin. I had first issues of X-Men, The Silver Surfer, Daredevil, Iron Man, and The Fantastic Four. Probably others I've forgotten, too.

Marvel Comics were always several notches higher than DC Comics -- Superman, Batman etc. Come to think of it, I had first issues of several DC Comics as well. My comic book collection started in 1960 or maybe 1961, but when I hit thirteen or fourteen I just lost interest. The ones I had left disappeared in one of our innumerable moves.

Ah well.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Stan Lee's Spidey Score Settled [Re: Phred]
    #3656480 - 01/21/05 01:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Now maybe he can finally buy all those super powers!

Like immortality.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3657498 - 01/21/05 08:20 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i'm embarrassed to say and happy at the same time to mention that I still have all the comic books I had when I was younger. I have a some early issue spidy and some #1 X-men etc. They're worth quite a bit of money now.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3657643 - 01/21/05 10:05 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

pinksharkmark said:
Stan Lee. Good on him.

I once owned Issue #1 of several Marvel comics and traded them away not realizing they would ever be worth serious coin. I had first issues of X-Men, The Silver Surfer, Daredevil, Iron Man, and The Fantastic Four. Probably others I've forgotten, too.

Marvel Comics were always several notches higher than DC Comics -- Superman, Batman etc. Come to think of it, I had first issues of several DC Comics as well. My comic book collection started in 1960 or maybe 1961, but when I hit thirteen or fourteen I just lost interest. The ones I had left disappeared in one of our innumerable moves.

Ah well.

pinky

Wow Pinky, that sucks. It's cool to hear that you used to have those though. I want that Fantastic Four #1.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Dovers - The Third Eye

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
Re: Stan Lee's Spidey Score Settled [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3657699 - 01/21/05 10:30 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I used to have the first 30 or so spiderman with kraven the hunter,mysterio,electro,sandman,rhinocerous,chameleon,green goblin etc. Under the advice of my teachers my parents threw out all my comic books one day while i was at skool :frown:

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Stan Lee's Spidey Score Settled [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #3657708 - 01/21/05 10:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I have the kraven, electro and green goblin ones. I collected wuite a bit (2 or 3 cases). i'm betting they're worth about $3000 to $5000. who knows. They're in the attic at the moment all bagged up.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Stan Lee's Spidey Score Settled [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3657821 - 01/21/05 11:18 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I have the kraven, electro and green goblin ones. I collected wuite a bit (2 or 3 cases). i'm betting they're worth about $3000 to $5000. who knows. They're in the attic at the moment all bagged up.

On the nightly news sometimes in the future:

Crackerville(AP) - Innvertigo's house was broken into and all of his valuable comics were stolen.  Police have no clues.

In other news, Randalflagg was recently seen at a comic shop hawking some very valuable comic books.  He was quoted as saying, "Oh yeah...I've had these things for years and I came to the conclusion that it was time to sell them.  I have taken pride in keeping and caring for these books over the years, and I hope that the new owner of them will be as dedicated, caring, and honest when it comes to the world of comic books as I am."

:smirk:

But seriously, I am a comic collector myself.  I have about 800 of them.  I had some Amazing Spidermans from the 60's and a Superman from the 50's but I had to sell them during my days of poverty.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Stan Lee's Spidey Score Settled [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3657901 - 01/21/05 11:54 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

BREAKING NEWS:

Innvertigo goes on a shooting spree; takes out entire community.

The accused has been quoted as saying " the fucker took my books, I had no choice". The accused is said to be unstable and plans to plead insanity.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion