Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Milk Thistle Extract

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Liver protection
    #3653898 - 01/20/05 04:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I heard awhile ago of an substance developed for the strengthening of the liver for patients with a history of liver disease. I was interested in liver replenishing drugs for my alcoholic and other issues, lol. I am not to worried, it would just be nice to have something to protect the liver some more for bringe drinking, etc.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Liver protection [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3654003 - 01/20/05 04:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Milk Thistle is the main and well known liver function booster, although there are a handful of others.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Liver protection [Re: dblaney]
    #3655945 - 01/20/05 11:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Right, but don't forget the Coenzyme Q10 which tends to become depleted in taxed livers.

Fluxburn - you're gonna get more than gastric reflux and heartburn with binge drinking. Binge drinking already reveals one pattern of alcoholism. Prevention is the only way out, there is no cure for damaged livers. Take care of yer health bud.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
    #3656413 - 01/21/05 12:54 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the milk thislt tip, i think im gonna go out and buy a bottle

:faded:

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: Liver protection [Re: MrBump]
    #3656631 - 01/21/05 01:38 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Take burdock root, and dandelion root in conjunction with milk thistle. Your liver will be operating very well, it may even cause your metabolism to increase.

--------------------

OfflineMrBump
 User Gallery

Re: Liver protection [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #3656795 - 01/21/05 02:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the advice.

i have seen milk thistle on the shelves of most pharmacies, is burdock root also widely available? i have never heard of it.

--------------------

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Invisiblehellbender

#3656842 - 01/21/05 02:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

There are a couple of supplements that may be worth looking into. I'm currently taking one called SAM-e (S-adenosylmethionine) specifically for the potential liver benefits. I'm not quite sold on it yet, however. It's pretty expensive ($35/month or more), but I got two months supply free, so I'll be doing some research in the meantime.

Quote:

SAMe, the amazing "super-nutrient," can single-handedly normalize liver function. How? SAMe is the central player in liver biochemistry. It does two crucial things: It methylates, and it transforms itself into the liver's most vital substance, glutathione.

The liver contains the third highest amount of SAMe in the body, after the adrenal and pineal glands. SAMe is so important for liver function that it can be considered an essential nutrient for that organ. In addition to its many other functions, SAMe plays a leading role in liver regeneration. The liver has special SAMe enzymes just for regenerating tissue.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag97/june-report972.html

RU-21 (aka The KGB Pill) is another possibility. I haven't decided if it's worth trying, but it seems interesting. A pill is supposed to be taken before each drink, so it could get expensive as well. It's not supposed to affect how drunk you get and claims to help prevent hangovers, while protecting the liver.

Quote:

RU-21 balances alcohol metabolism by slowing down the process of ethanol oxidation into acetaldehyde, so less acetaldehyde occurs in the first place. It then speeds up the process of acetaldehyde decomposition into acetic acid, and then into water and carbon dioxide, which are harmless. RU-21 also helps the body balance the metabolic processes in liver, heart and brain cells and increases oxygen absorption by cells. As a result, RU-21 prevents acetaldehyde from causing damage to vital organs and functions of the body, and also reduces alcohol cravings and prevents the dreaded hangovers.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/10/prweb85398.php

Quote:

RU-21 is a safe and effective dietary supplement made up of Monosodium Glutamate, Succinic Acid, Fumaric Acid, Vitamin C and Glucose (Dextrose). It contains no wheat, yeast, binders, preservatives, granulators or disintegrators.

http://www.ru-21.co.uk/faq.asp

Here's another article and the main website:

http://www.sundayherald.com/38923
http://www.ru21.com/

So does anyone have any experience with either of them? Any ideas, opinions or proof positive or negative about the benefits they claim?

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

#3656864 - 01/21/05 02:24 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The ru21 stuff is worthless from my experience. I tested it for drinking, got trashed and the next day I had a nasty hangover like usual. No difference whatsoever taking 2 pills before drinking and 2 after.

--------------------

Edited by Fluxburn (01/21/05 02:26 AM)

Invisiblehellbender

#3656902 - 01/21/05 02:33 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I figured it'd be hit-or-miss at best with the hangovers, but I'm still curious about the supposed liver benefits. Is there anything legit about the science behind it?

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
    #3656965 - 01/21/05 02:53 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

thecornking said:
thanks for the advice.

i have seen milk thistle on the shelves of most pharmacies, is burdock root also widely available? i have never heard of it.

Its not too widely available, but if you go to a whole foods store you should be able to find it no problem.

--------------------

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

#3657019 - 01/21/05 03:16 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ah, I will try that milk crap, but that KGB crap is just some commercial scam. This reminds me of crest and all those Ultrasonic tooth brushes, which is hillarious. The reason why its so funny is in other parts of the world, like Asia they don't even brush their teeth.So literally, they are expanding to new markets in asia. I love American consumerism, now everyone has a goddamn car alarm. I am sorry, my car has never been stolen and if it was the alarm aint doing to much good.

This country literally is just a big commerical, selling crack to babies! Well it isn't crack, but they way they advertise to children, it might as well just be crack. I remember my Mom spending tons of money on my stupid toys, whatever I wanted. This society is so sick, so materialistic sometimes. I love the stupid woman that drives around with the new audi a4 with the shinny glasses like she is the shit. I think its funny because the people who have the nicer cars don't flaunt the shit like they are all so cool. Wait it wasn't even an audi a4, it was a vw passat. You got to love people, I am cool because I have a car and shinny glasses. I mean my parents have way nicer cars then that, but they don't try to look all super cool with some futuristic, almost gay glasses.

--------------------

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #3657177 - 01/21/05 04:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

THere is a supplement/milk thistle derivative called, "Silymarin," if I'm correct on the spelling.  Might not be.  I'm drunk.  CHeck yerselfs.  Elfs. :cheers:

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
    #3657354 - 01/21/05 06:10 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

This is what you have been looking for: (please read carefully)

Aloe vera for Alcoholism

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

OfflineMrBump
 User Gallery

Re: Liver protection [Re: Sterile]
    #3658067 - 01/21/05 01:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

OK, how do you administer aloe vera into your system?
the article didnt touch on product names....

--------------------

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

#3658556 - 01/21/05 03:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Fluxburn said:
I heard awhile ago of an substance developed for the strengthening of the liver for patients with a history of liver disease. I was interested in liver replenishing drugs for my alcoholic and other issues, lol. I am not to worried, it would just be nice to have something to protect the liver some more for bringe drinking, etc.

If you're binge drinking on a consistent basis a supplement isn't going to lessen the damage you do much at all.

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#3658854 - 01/21/05 04:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You need some good old Ayurvedic healing
you cant argue with 5,000 years of practice
Neem is a good tonic for spring and summer time because of its cooling qualities. For those who drink alcohol it is a must to protect the liver. Not recommended if your are bothered by extreme coldness for it is cooling to the system.
Liver & Spleen Rejuvenation
Botanical ingredients: Herbal Extracts of: Neem leaf (Urtica dioica) Bhumyamalaki (phyllanthus niruri) Guduchi herb (Tinospora cordifolia) Barberry root (Berberris vulgaris) Rhubarb root (Rheum palmatum) Licorice root (Glychyrrhiza glabra) Dandelion root (Taraxacum officinale) Gentain root (Gentiana macrophylla) Gotu Kola herb (Hydrocotyl asiatica) Madder root (Rubia tinctoria) Sarsaparilla root (Smilax) Skullcap herb (Scutellaria) Cumin seed (Cuminum cyminum) Coriander seed (Coriandrum sativum) Milk Thistle seed (Silybum marianum) Bringaraj herb (Eclipta alba)

Herbal Powders of: Amalaki fruit (Emblica officinalis) Turmeric root (Curcuma longa) Cardamom seed (Elettaria cardamomum)

All preserved nicely in Herbal Ghee, to trap the essence, unlike a pill or powder mix.

:jester:

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
    #3660705 - 01/21/05 10:12 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Milk Thistle Extract

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being