Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

How to keep jars warm: Insulating Box + Heating Pad
    #3649639 - 01/19/05 05:29 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I figured, I ask so many stupid questions and you guys always help me so, I will try to make a contribution. I hope it doesn?t suck; inputs of experts are welcome.

This is exclusively for people that use a Heating Pad during colonization of big number of jars but, due to cool weather, heating pad is not enough. This could help you save energy and finally achieve those 85 F that you want with your heating pad. It is assumed that you have a Heating Pad

Insulating Incubator:

This is to make an Insolating Box were you can store the chamber you use to incubate your jars. You put the heating pad inside, over the chamber, close the box and you will achieve the ideal 85 F you wish. Plus, the Box provides darkness and, sprayed with Lysol, keeps contams away. The Insulation material keeps heat inside, keeps temperature stable, protects from sudden drop of temperature.

Materials:

1.- Tape (can be duct tape or any other that can do the job)
2.- A roll of Insulation Foil: It seams to be an exotic supply, but its not; You can certainly find it in Home Depot or alike, for 14.95 or less. I show a picture of one below. There are several brands. This is a construction material usually used to foil the walls of houses from inside, to save heating energy. My idea come from finding out that the walls of the hose where I live are wrapped in this thing.

3.- A Thermometer with cord. (Optional) (In any K mart you will find these thermometers with cord, like the one shown in the pic, for $ 10).
Process:

1. See the pic I?ve attached, and you probably wont even need to keep reading.
2. There is no science or method to cut the pieces that will conform the box. Personally, I took the chamber were I was planning to store the jars and wrap it with the Insulation Foil to have an approximate measure of the size of the pieces I had to cut. The box must be bigger than the chamber.
3. Then, I cut the pieces.
4. To make the rectangular structure, fold the pieces with a lot of pressure, It wojnt look perfectly folded, but it will be enough. 
5. Use the tape to join the pieces. It is Important to tape the box from inside and outside, so the box is airtight. A little hole will make a big difference, heat will escape through it.
6. I bought at Kmart a digital thermometer (in the pic) for $ 10, which comes with a cable and temperature sensor at the end of it. Put the jars inside the chamber as usual, place the sensor inside the Chamber with the jars, then you close the chamber and put it inside the Isolating Box, and place the heating pad over the chamber.
7. Close the Box leaving the thermometer and the heating pad control outside, and seal the Box with soft tape (that you can remove when you want to open the chamber), again, carefully to leave the box airtight, I use the typical transparent one.

Notes:
These steps are absolutely unnecessary; you can make the box however the hell you want.
You can omit the chamber and put the jars directly inside the Insulation Box. However, the heating pad can?t be in direct contact with the jars. A way of overcoming this is to tape the heating pad in the ceiling of the box.
Heating Pads are available in pharmacies, kmarts and even in grocery stores. Mine cost me $ 14.

Hope this helps someone.
:tongue2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: How to keep jars warm: Insulating Box + Heating Pad [Re: cuatiklad]
    #3649810 - 01/19/05 06:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I thought I was the only one who did that...

I also have 2" "Foamular" Pink Rigid foam insulation on the top of the cabinet, just inside the lip, on the outside. You can see the edge of the pink insulation on the top of the photo.

The heat sources are...
- My oven when cooking
- Direct heat from a terrarium heat pad (Cobra-Mat), stuck to an upside-down steel cookie sheet.
- Indirect heat form an electric Coffee-Mug-Warmer, with a jar of water on it, Four inoculation holes let water slowly out to ensure my goods don't dry out.
- Heat from my house, since this is in the upper part of my house, the air is almost a constant 78F outside the chamber.

The electric heat inside is controlled by a dual plug controller temprature "Zoo-Med" electronic lizard heat controller.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Anonymous

Re: How to keep jars warm: Insulating Box + Heating Pad [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3655619 - 01/20/05 08:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

yeah... but even with this thing, I do need the heating pad.
Dont think would work with just puting it close to a heating source.

Do you think its the "2" "Foamular" Pink Rigid foam insulation "?
by the way, what is that, is it expensive?

Do you have a system to keep the terrarium worm? 9that it doesnt involve water). i use a heating pad but I berely get to rise the temperature 2 or 3 Farenhigt set in high.
Ideas?

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: How to keep jars warm: Insulating Box + Heating Pad [Re: cuatiklad]
    #3890633 - 03/09/05 12:33 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

this is very very ingenious, nice job cuatiklad!! 5 shrooms for you

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

OfflineSardo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: How to keep jars warm: Insulating Box + Heating Pad [Re: Anonymous]
    #26500713 - 02/23/20 11:41 PM (4 years, 25 days ago)

I too just bought a heating pad. Specifically a seedling heating pad to heat my rye berry inoculation bags. Also bought a temperature and humidity gauge which attaches to the heating pad.

I don't quite understand whether I place the heating pad inside or underneath the mono tub. I will also use it to maintain temps once fruiting starts. In that case, it seems a necessity to place the pad underneath some how.

Can it be in direct contact with the mono tub?

Any thoughts on the matter would be very much appreciated.

--------------------
Not all who wander are lost.

OfflineMr.Wizard
Harbinger of Hallucination
 User Gallery

Re: How to keep jars warm: Insulating Box + Heating Pad [Re: Sardo]
    #26500721 - 02/23/20 11:50 PM (4 years, 25 days ago)

This thread was 15 years old bud.

In general heating pads are not recommended, room temperature is. I do use one sometimes as it gets very cold here, and I like the cold. I still place it indirectly a few inches under the shelf my stuff is on. It bumps it up 10 degrees easy.

You wanna stay above 65, and below 83. The lower the temp in that range the slower growth will be, but it will slow contams more than myc. Approaching 83 and above will create a better environment for contams to grow rather than your myceleum.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix