Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Imaginary Friends and Ghosts
    #3649122 - 01/19/05 06:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

At a certain age, young children are discouraged from treating their imaginary friends as real as it is perceived to be psychologically unhealthy.

Yet, at the same time, the child is encouraged to believe that deceased Grandma's spirit is still watching over them.

I fail to see any real distinction whatsoever.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Imaginary Friends and Ghosts [Re: Swami]
    #3649217 - 01/19/05 06:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's mostly about shutting them up.

Tell them their imagination is just an illusion, and maybe they'll stop calling you in the night saying they're scared of monsters under the bed and ghosts in the closet.

Tell them that people they love who have died are in a better place and looking down will make them shut up and think it's OK because they'll join them one day.

Or, perhaps shutting up isn't the right word, making them docile seems more fitting. Look at Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes, he has what some would consider an overactive imagination with ghosts and monsters and such and it always causes problems for his parents. If someone were to die and he thought they were gone forever, he would cause even more problems, while if he thought they were in Heaven he may feel a bit less sad.

Lying to kids to the extent of making them docile has never been frowned upon, as shown by Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Imaginary Friends and Ghosts [Re: Ravus]
    #3649258 - 01/19/05 06:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

When I was four, I had an evil babysitter tell me that if I continued to suck my thumb, the Scissor Man would come along and snip my thumbs right off. Maybe that explains why I am so fucked up today...

Eight-finger Jack

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3649261 - 01/19/05 06:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's opinion that some of these invisable friends children refer to are imaginary. Many cases are documented where children gave names, ages and info about "playmates" who showwed up, that were traced to people who lived in the area long ago and passed away. They have identified photos of them, out of several to choose from. Thats up for your own personal investigation to beleive or not. All the eveidence I have seen and come across was more then convincing to my "gullible" mind.

Many spiritual types, remember angelic visits from when they were children and were told to quit imagining such things as children and then they shut down their own sixth sense abilities and wish they were allowed and encouraged to develop them further instead.

Oh heck, My daughter and her crew of angels started visiting me and my husband about two years before she was born and it turns out tons of parents are experiencing this and books are being written on it.

I see the contradiction you are pointing out and I wonder how many who discourage interaction with imaginary or maybe not imaginary beings, also are the ones that tell them loved ones on the other side are around and with us in spirit.

If children are able to form bonds with their parents and siblings here, and also form healthy relations and interactions in this tangible reality, I see no harm in it either way. I encourage the use of imagination with my daughter as it comes in handy for problem resolution and finding alternative solutions in child and adult life.

If you are looking to point out what a bunch of hypocrites the human race is overall thats not hard to do. If it wasn't for our ability to be forgiving, I would have resentful grudges against everyone I have ever known including myself. :crazy:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3649300 - 01/19/05 06:26 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
When I was four, I had an evil babysitter tell me that if I continued to suck my thumb, the Scissor Man would come along and snip my thumbs right off. Maybe that explains why I am so fucked up today...

Eight-finger Jack

How bout it when it works in reverse is right. My daughter was at a nieghbor friends and heard her mom tell her friend that if she tells lies, red devils will appear and burn her. My daughter NEVER would go back to their house. I didn't want her to after I heard that either.

An adult who tells a lie to get a child to stop lying- classic human hypocricy. No wonder her daughter had a lying problem. Whose to say how the devil burning images are going to have an unhealthy impact up the road too.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (01/19/05 06:27 PM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3649578 - 01/19/05 07:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

:shocked: :thumbup:

:heart:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Loc: state,country,etc.
    #3649627 - 01/19/05 07:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
At a certain age, young children are discouraged from treating their imaginary friends as real as it is perceived to be psychologically unhealthy.

Yet, at the same time, the child is encouraged to believe that deceased Grandma's spirit is still watching over them.

that kind of action is logical if you believe that kids
friends are not real and that souls do live after death.

Why do you ask this question, when you already know
what the beliefs of those people are. They act accoarding to those beliefs.

--------------------
"..and suddenly it began to rain"

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3650393 - 01/19/05 09:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I encouraged active imaginations in my kids. I have also always encouraged them to have an open mind, but to use their judgment skills as well. The imaginary playmate thing came and went without my interference. My son would actually assume an alternate persona (between the ages 4-7) for days at a time. He would speak in a different voice with different mannerisms, and refer to himself (Damien) in the third person. During these times he called himself Mr. Bee. When he was Damien, Mr. Bee resided in his baby blanket until the time he would again seize control of Damien's body. I thought it was funny and fascinating all at once. He turned out all right...he is certainly one of the fastest electric guitarists I've known and is well above average intelligence.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3652450 - 01/20/05 08:23 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The real distinction is the grandmother was once a real person. It makes more sense to urge a child to cherish a real person that once existed than an imaginary one.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology