Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, HEPA Filter, Hydroponics Supplies, Mycobags, Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
plant friend for shroomies?
    #3649007 - 01/19/05 05:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hey guys...anyone else ever think of putting a tiny house plant in like a 1-2liter bolle or something and putting it in the terrarium during fruiting. ever try it?
I bet if i had the space for some tent setups in a grow room I'd grow some plants in there too  :stoned:

--------------------
check out www.island.org Started by Bruce Eisner, it's an organization trying to make Island by Aldous Huxley a reality.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!
 Arcade Champion: Poker

Re: plant friend for shroomies? [Re: Elfmachine]
    #3649128 - 01/19/05 06:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

plants eat co2 alot slower than shrooms put it out so the difference wouldn't be noticible

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: plant friend for shroomies? [Re: penlight438094]
    #3649145 - 01/19/05 06:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

plus the whole contam factor.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3649507 - 01/19/05 07:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

penlight438094 said:
plants eat co2 alot slower than shrooms put it out so the difference wouldn't be noticible

False...

Plants will absorb all the CO2 that you can throw at them, (Except saturation.)

Green-house farmers pump CO2 into green-houses, and they only limit the amount so that humans don't die or get sick while they are in there.

However, they only absorb CO2 it in light.

Yes, I have setup several projects with alternating green-houses Day/Night, with great results... I am looking into a similar setup for mushrooms.

The best setup that I can think of would be a seporate chamber that the air recirculates into, containing orchids. The chamber would need a contam filter, or a double air-pump setup. One pump in the shrooms, pumping into a stone in the orchid side... and vice versa. (Orchids LOVE high humidity, and make tons of sugar... EG absorb a lot of CO2.)

The second best setup would be to have the mushrooms above the orchids, with a cloth layer between. (Reducing contams, and diffusing the light for the orchids.)

Distilled water also absorbs CO2 more readily than air, which is why you bennifit from daily water changes, and air exchange. CO2 + H2O = H2CO3 (Carbonic Acid, Soda Water, Selser)
http://chetday.com/distilledwater.htm

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/19/05 07:04 PM)

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: plant friend for shroomies? [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3649515 - 01/19/05 07:02 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ZeroArmy27 said:
plus the whole contam factor.

this would be my worry.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: plant friend for shroomies? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3649537 - 01/19/05 07:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Grow grass on sterile clone gel. Can't get any more sterile than that!

If it is a hydro setup, you don't even need gel... just suspend the seeds on a screen in the fog. (For ultrasonic humidity controlled fruiting chambers.)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Offlinepenlight438094

Re: plant friend for shroomies? [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3649538 - 01/19/05 07:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LaughingJim said:
Quote:

penlight438094 said:

False...

Plants will absorb all the CO2 that you can throw at them, (Except saturation.)

Green-house farmers pump CO2 into houses, and they only limit the amount, so that humans don't die, or get sick while in there.

However, they only absorb it in light.

Yes, I have setup several projects with alternating green houses with great results... I am looking into a similar setup for mushrooms.

The best setup that I can think of would be a seporate chamber that the air recirculates into, containing orchids. The chanber would need a contam filter, or a double air pump setup. One pump in the shrooms, pumping into a ston in the orchid side... and vice versa. (Orchids LOVE high humidity, and make tons of sugar... EG absorb a lot of CO2.)

The second best setup would be to have the mushrooms above the orchids, with a cloth layer between. (Reducing contams, and diffusing the light for the orchids.)

Water also absorbs CO2 more readily than air, which is why you bennifit from daily water changes, and air exchange. CO2 + H2O = H2CO3 (Carbonic Acid, Soda Water, Selser)
http://chetday.com/distilledwater.htm

true but he is refering to putting a single plant or a few in his terrium and while plants will absorb all co2 thrown at them that process takes time. say for example there is a terriumm with 8 casings and a single 8-10inch plant, that plant wouldn't do much

--------------------
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3649551 - 01/19/05 07:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I suppose that a wax plant would not help, nor would an aloe... but any leafy plant will absorb most of the CO2.

Plants absorb almost all of the ground CO2 created durring the whole night, within the first two hours of sunrise.

Generally, a greater percentage of the "Plants", there are always exceptions.

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (01/19/05 07:11 PM)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3649562 - 01/19/05 07:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It would be much better to change your distilled water frequently. (But rather costly.)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Offlinepenlight438094

#3649579 - 01/19/05 07:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

so this could potentally work then

--------------------

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #3649986 - 01/19/05 08:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I don't see why not personally. It is a good idea for a commercial business that are into growing mushrooms and plants. The Orchid example put forth by LaughingJim is a wonderful idea. Placing a filter between the two areas would be necessary IMO to keep contamination from crossing from the plant side to the shrooms (as was stated). But, the high humidity will not be good for HEPA style filters, and the filter itself can become a site for contamination.

If you plan to place plants in your fruiting chamber, then you need to treat them just like any casing. Those plants must be grown in a sterile environment from the beginning. Also, plants like much more light than mushrooms, so you would need to work something out there as well. We cannot artificially produce "too much" light for plants with present technology. Some mushrooms however, are very sensitive to bright light...

I think the double sided chamber would be excellent if you had both a plant and mushrooms to cultivate...
I wonder what combination comes to most minds?
Bet its not orchids and oysters... :smirk:

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineJonnyPoo
Stranger
Re: plant friend for shroomies? [Re: ATWAR]
    #3650015 - 01/19/05 08:48 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

just remember, pretty much everything is possible, but plausibility is the question

OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Re: plant friend for shroomies? [Re: JonnyPoo]
    #3650154 - 01/19/05 09:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

lol awesome. I would definitely like to try growin' some plants in one chamber and shrooms in another. and as for the light...i was thinking filtered daylight for the shrooms and direct for the plants. or rather an opaque shroomarium and a clear container. This actually seams quite brilliant. If I would have the plant inside a closed rubbermaid shroomarium I was thinking a bottle terrarium for the plant, w/ maybe a filter patch and use a flouro.
I had done some mycobags a while ago in a shroomarium w/ a flouro and i put a plant in there in a bottle. I only had 3 bags, there weren't any problems but i don't know if it helped. the plant did fine too.

--------------------
check out www.island.org Started by Bruce Eisner, it's an organization trying to make Island by Aldous Huxley a reality.

Edited by Elfmachine (01/19/05 09:16 PM)

OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
    #3650282 - 01/19/05 09:31 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanx guys, I know I'll eventually get around to setting something up like this. I think I got a fair amount of info here.
-set up 2 chambers/tents and connect them w/ some tube/duct w/ filterers. prolly 2 ducts w/ fans, 1 from shrooms to plants and the other vise versa.
-no waxy plants
-consider grow gel/hydroponics
-plants only use CO2 when they photosynthesize, so give them MADD light all day long.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3651788 - 01/20/05 03:56 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I believe its just difficult and costly for the average user to setup...plus just another thing to learn and deal with. The possiblity is there but you would need to use a high humidity plant and filters and such. Of course how long will a HEPA last constantly pumping air through it, especially constant 99% humid air? and the filter would be on the one comming into the chamber, might the humidity not go into the orchid chamber through the non filtered side and then not be able to get back through the filter as well? Well get pics and post if you ever do it.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, HEPA Filter, Hydroponics Supplies, Mycobags, Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation