Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Air Stone, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

What to put in this s.o.b (fruiting chamber)
    #3648686 - 01/19/05 04:25 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well, i'm getting a 10gallon fish tank aq. tomorrow. I figured that it'd be nice and wouldn't look weird sitting somewhere around the house. I've already made a post about this, but i'm lookng for a bit more input and hopefully a bit more expertise as well.

It's a standard size 10 gallon, _x10x12, something along those lines. Well, i was going put in just perlite for humidity and I don't know what to put in for air exchange, I'm hoping that maybe a local fishstore would have one, i kind of a nOOb when it comes to an automated chamber, but i'm looking to change that...I've got bubble wands and can get geo-lite rocks or lava rocks...so maybe a pmp?...I don't really know, but i'd like to use this fish tank. aq., any one wanna help me out?.....

well, thankx fer your help

-gnostic

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
Re: What to put in this s.o.b (fruiting chamber) [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3648779 - 01/19/05 04:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

well maybe i can be a source of inspiration. i just picked up two 50 gal plastic tubs and 4 smaller non see-through tubs (i think there each like 8 or 10 quart) to put my wbs in. i'll fill the small tubs once colonized, cover w/ plastic wrap and tin foil for a few days (to keep them dark), cold shock n the fridge, place 2 in the 50 gal. tub n put perlite around the smaller tubs to help keep humidity high, all covered w/ glass hopefully i'll have some good boomhowers w/ this setup, GL on whatever you decide

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: What to put in this s.o.b (fruiting chamber) [Re: SoK]
    #3648797 - 01/19/05 04:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm doing something like that, Fishtank with plastic containers inside with my wbs spawn (got horse poo :laugh:). But my job's going to require me to be gone for longs periods of time, therefore i won't be able to stick around and fan every 4-5 hours and mist. Well, i'm not so much worried about humidity, i'll probably just end up using perlite, it's not as messy as people say, you just gotta watch yourself w/ it. I'm just concerned about the co2 levels, it'd suck to get past 10000rrm(w/e it is lol)...Id just hate to come home to my beautiful babies Slaughtered b/c i couldn't figured out how to automate my system, it's really not that complicated, but i jus need to know what to go out and look for....I know that i cant use an air pump cuz i need air Exchange...but i donno...maybe im wrong....its crazy.....kinda

OfflineMig
Stranger
    #3648799 - 01/19/05 04:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I'm just thinking out loud here, but with an aquarium you are limited to all the inputs and outputs being on top. If you were to use the bubble wands, having the air exhaust holes on the top is probably Ok, since the wands stir up a larger volume of air/CO2.

But, if you were to do a bubble stone in a container of water, then you would need the exhaust holes on the bottom.

I guess my point is, I think you need to stir the air up pretty well in order to have your exhaust hole on the top. But I'm a noob, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: What to put in this s.o.b (fruiting chamber) [Re: Mig]
    #3648842 - 01/19/05 05:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm def. not a nOOb....until we start to talk about automated systems :rolleyes:

I know that co2 is heavier than o2...therefore having your co2 empty out on the bottom and the o2 come through the top is best (double tubs)...but i'm trying to make it look nice....which is proving to be kind of difficult, when peeps come over i dont want them to really think anything of it, this way it kind of Fits into its surroundings....I'm thinking maybe a co2/o2 exchanger i can pull it off....maybe something that has a hose that leads to the bottom and sucks up a bit of "co2" every 3-4 hours or so and lets in air from another hose towards the top, or something of the sort, i'm new to all of this so i probably sound like a moron, i know next to nothing about devices that i could utilize....i know what i need to do but not What to use...that's why i posted :thumbup: : :sniper: :rolleyes:

....any one got any other ideas?....

OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
    #3648954 - 01/19/05 05:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

in my current tank, i have an air pump fed into a cut-top 20oz. bottle with a little vent at the top... i should cut a hole in the bottom now that i think about it... you think that could possibly be causing my mushrooms to abort pretty early off my brf cakes? i fan them at least twice a day, usually more, but you got me thinkin...

as for your setup, the tube i have bringing filtered airpump air into the tank could just be set at the edge of your fruiting tray so that it's constantly blowing fresh air on your casing, but if you'll be gone for long periods, than it might dry out the top layer... hmm... that is a prob. maybe the airpump on a timer w/ perlite humid. and just whenever your in you could mist your casing i guess that would take some experimentation though to see how quicly the casing layer dries out

InvisibleDK1
Male
    #3648966 - 01/19/05 05:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hows it going to look like something normal when theres mushrooms sprouting out? lol. Use your geolite or perlite and an air diffuser such as a bubble wand but don't use the crappy air stones that are available. That should provide plenty of gas exchange.

OfflineMig
Stranger
    #3648988 - 01/19/05 05:31 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I too have a 10 gallon aquarium. It sucked as a incubator, and it's useless to me as a fruiting chamber (I too need 100% automation). The reason I eliminated it as a FC was the simple fact that I couldn't drill holes in it. Without that ability, I would have to devise an elaborate system for air exchange (or at least somewhat elaborate <g>).

On the other hand, I have a wonderfully simple and automatic fruitng chamber made from a Rubbermaid container, and now that I think about it, all because I could drill holes in it. Granted, it looks like something out of a Frankenstien movie, but I have a spare room that it goes in, so nobody sees it any way.

In any case, I really think you'll be fine with a couple of bubble wands in the Perlite layer, and exhaust holes in the top. Just make sure the air pump you use pushes out enough air (which I'm sure won't be a problem seeing how it's only 10 gallons).

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3649022 - 01/19/05 05:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Fish tanks work. But, ambiant air must be right temp. Heating pad underneath over/heats one - fast.

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3649893 - 01/19/05 08:22 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Get a full plexiglass top, one that fits over the edge, not inside the lip. Then drill/melt two holes in the top, on opposite sides. Large enough to stuff an air line inside.

In one, attach your bubbler wand, sitting in the pearlite/water. The other should almost touch the bottom of the tank, but not quite. That same hose, that almost touches the bottom, should come up, and out at about the same length. So that it can hang over the edge, into a tall glass of water on the outside.

Air will come into the tank from the pump, through the bubbler, into the CO2 rich air, and will roll out the hose that almost touches the bottom. Excess air will bleed slowly out the top, where the plexi-glass rests on the lid. To force all the air out the tube that rests in the glass of water on the outside... place something like a heavy book on top, or a heavy fishtank light.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: What to put in this s.o.b (fruiting chamber) [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3649900 - 01/19/05 08:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The water in the glass is for collecting moisture that drips from the high humidity tank, and to stop contams from getting sucked into your tank. Going back through the hose, growing inside the hose itself.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: What to put in this s.o.b (fruiting chamber) [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3650395 - 01/19/05 09:58 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Intersting...So, you're saying that that o2 will be pumped in via my pump ( :laugh: ), and that the co2 will go through the tube and into the nice little cup with water....Well, should I fill the cup with water or just let it fill up, and how thick should the hose be, the one that doesn't touch the bottom? And why would the co2 flow up it and wouldn't that only circulate only a little bit of air and how long should I run the pump everyday  :grin:

Sorry for all the dumb nOObie questions, i'm only nOObish when it comes to these automated systems :rolleyes:....but thankx :smile:

-gnostic

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
    #3650492 - 01/19/05 10:22 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

A lot of people here picture the CO2 laying on the bottom like water under oil. It's my opinion that this is a false image. There's a good deal of kinetic energy knocking molecules around and mixing them up. Also, we are usually heating from the bottom, so convection raises whatever is on the bottom. Whatever air we are adding is probably cooler and denser than what's in the chamber. It wants to lay in the bottom until it warms up.

Soooo. Holes in the bottom. Holes in the top. The CO2 is going to come out if fresh air is being forced in. I wish that I had a CO2 sensor to prove it. I think that my chamber does as well as any, and it is only vented at the top. JMHO

--------------------
Don't panic!

InvisibleJimber510
Traveler
Re: What to put in this s.o.b (fruiting chamber) [Re: ticktock]
    #3650540 - 01/19/05 10:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I agree w/ ticktock... Magash reccomends putting the holes at the top of the PMP. That way the air will move "through" the chamber and mix well, providing plenty of air exchange. I would turn it into a PMP and just use less geolite/hydoton and less water in order to keep the humidity lower for casings.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3650639 - 01/19/05 10:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

For the last year I've been running a 90 qt clear sterlite tub with
2in of perlite and 1in of water.Have left it for up to 2 weeks,putting in new birthed cakes(12)and returning to spores everywhere.Even higher than the shrooms left standing.

For the spores being higher than the shrooms I believe that the wickering effect creates a current in the tub.By adding a pump with wand I found spores at tub and lid.

I believe there is plenty of current in there for FAE but then I'm always stoned so I might of been seeing things.

I hope this made sence maybe $0.02.  :grin:

:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Edited by KaptKid (01/19/05 10:59 PM)

Offlinelargosnook
2 glassesicewaddawiddice
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gettin' Lucky in Kentucky
Re: What to put in this s.o.b (fruiting chamber) [Re: KaptKid]
    #3650763 - 01/19/05 11:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, I am using a 20 gallon aqarium as a fruiting chamber now, its working perfect. I have a double output 40-60 gallon pump shooting fresh air into the chamber via 2 6' hoses. I cut about 8 holes into the first 2' (4 holes on each side) of each hose. I taped the hose to the bottom of the aquarium, taped the 2 hoses up the inside wall to the top. I cover the chamber with a piece of clear plastic wrap. It has a frame around the edges of the plastic to fit below the rim of the chamber, sealing it except for where the hoses enter the chamber. Good for air excchange. I fan before I go to work and before I go to bed. So far its working fine but upto this point, I've only had pf's in it. But my casings should do fine too.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: What to put in this s.o.b (fruiting chamber) [Re: largosnook]
    #3653340 - 01/20/05 01:48 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds good so far, I think I know what laughing Jim meant and it'll work regarless of where the co2 or anything is. I'm basically making a + pressure and allowing it to move out through the other hose and let it go through water, Intersting...Hey Jim, how long should I run my pump everyday? 24/7 or just like 12 hours a day? I've got a 10gallon tank and I've got 2 rather big sized buddle wand, they almost go from one side to the other, but not quite....Well, thankx a bunch everyone :laugh:

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3653343 - 01/20/05 01:49 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

O, and should I put some h202 in that water in the glass? I'll have sum in the tank as well but i'm just making sure :laugh:, thankx

-gnostic

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
    #3653367 - 01/20/05 01:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

O, and should I put some h202 in that water in the glass? I'll have sum in the tank as well but i'm just making sure , thankx

Your stuffs lookin good, GL - I have read 1:10-1:20 water/hydrogen peroxide (%3) is usally a safe bet in everything you do while working with your grow.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Edited by Civ (01/20/05 01:56 PM)

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Re: What to put in this s.o.b (fruiting chamber) [Re: Civ]
    #3653459 - 01/20/05 02:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Get a couple of 10+ gal aquarium air pumps. Even 1 would probably do. Then get 4 (2 hoses per unit) plastic hoses that should be right next to the pump at the store. Plug 'em in and put the business end into ur tank, or blowing directly onto a cake or casing.

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Air Stone, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation