Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Ranch Dressing, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Karo: mycelium taken from a fruiting jar.
    #3648553 - 01/19/05 03:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I did something that I don?t know if it can work; I would love and appreciate comments on it.

I did karo tek, pc for about 30 min. Then I inoculate it, with mycelium, and here comes the nasty part, from a substrate that was out of the jar, in the fruiting chamber? I did this cause that casing its all I got. I sterilized a spoon and took a little piece of mycelium/substrate from this casing. I may be wrong but, from all the posts that I have read (I do use search), all say u have to inoculate with spores or fully colonized cake in the jar.

I was obsessively careful with sterilization. I used anti germs wipes, soap, Lysol, spry with alcohol (with a garden spryer that, oh my God, would sterilize Dracula?s coffin), used an airtight globebox, and a sealed jar, no holes. (I pc it with loose lid and foil layer and then just screw it after transfer).

The jar is incubating right now, under 80 F, in the same glovebox (haven?t taken it from there). It?s been about 30 hours now. There is a lot of substrate in the bottom (vermiculite).

Do I have a chance?
How does contams would look like?
Has anyone done this?
I?ve heard that it is difficult to identify contams in liquid, would smell be a trustable way?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Karo: mycelium taken from a fruiting jar. [Re: cuatiklad]
    #3648909 - 01/19/05 05:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You'd probably notice color before a smell...I was going to try this once but feared that it'd rot ,lol, but thinking about it, i don't see why it shouldn't, what you threw in there is basically what would grow in there...but then again it didn't start from in there striaght from spores, i.e, it's not use to that kind of cult. and may not except it, but then again i'm not sure...and steryling is a good thing...until you get lysol in ur cake and then end up fruiting the freakiest mushies ever, (mutants), never had it happen...but ive heard of lysol and things of that nature causing mutants(typically non-ediable...atleast u wouldn't wanna try heh)....so try not to get that in ur sub....Ever...lol.

But Gl, i'd be intersted in hearing or finding out how it goes...so far all of my karo jars have failed, and i used spores : /...

Gl

-gnostic

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: Karo: mycelium taken from a fruiting jar. [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3649975 - 01/19/05 08:39 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds pretty iffy. I wouldn't be the ranch on it turning out well. Still, you might be able to improve your odds a little.

Let's say that you have 100 ml of liquid in the jar. Inject about 10 ml of peroxide from the drug store. (It will say 3% on the bottle.) Keep the jar out of the light and hope for the best. The peroxide might beat the contaminants down. Can't hurt.

--------------------
Don't panic!

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Karo: mycelium taken from a fruiting jar. [Re: ticktock]
    #3651332 - 01/20/05 01:49 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

you could do what you were talking about if you took the mycelium from inside the casing. its like doing a g2g transfer so a flow hood or glove box would have helped. I just sort of did the same with the ports that im growing. I took a knot off the agar and put it into the karo. Hopefully i can use this as a quick fruiting substrate and get some portabellas

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #3651410 - 01/20/05 02:13 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You would have been better off taking some of the substrate and putting it in a jar of sterile water and stirring it up and making a mycelium syringe.
Then using the mycelium syringe to inoculate some new jars rather than starting a Karo jar...IMHO.

Quote:

Do I have a chance?

Maybe

Quote:

How does contams would look like?

Do you mean what would contams look like?

There are many different types of contams...color is a good indication of having a contam...at least with cakes and casings.
There are Green, Blue Green, Black, Red, Yellow, Pink and even White colored contams.

Quote:

I?ve heard that it is difficult to identify contams in liquid, would smell be a trustable way?

Cloudy liquid is a sign that you might have a contam...I've gotten those before.
Smell can be another way...I have had smelly contams in liquid cultures before.

Good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Karo: mycelium taken from a fruiting jar. [Re: Roadkill]
    #3652012 - 01/20/05 04:40 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Next time when you remove a peice of mycelium dip it directly into straight 3% hydrogen peroxide for 30-60 seconds then dump the peice into the karo with a little peroxide (up to 10:1 solution of water to 3% h202) and you'll have a MUCH better chance of survival. H202 will kill spores without doing much damage to mycelium.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Anonymous

Re: Karo: mycelium taken from a fruiting jar. [Re: ticktock]
    #3655657 - 01/20/05 10:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Do you have "growing mashrooms: the easy way"? the guy there sugest, for agar or liquids, concentracions of 6 - 8 ml... per Liter!! I know 10:1 nis what is used in misting, etc... but isnt too much for a liquid midium?

Oh, this goes for scatmanrav too.

??

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3658115 - 01/21/05 01:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

First off, you could use up to 50% for a liquid medium. Second off...really when you use a 10% amount of h202 also your talking about .3% of actually h202...not very much (since you start out with the 3% h202 you buy in the store before putting it in the 10% solution. You wouldnt really want to use half 3% h202 and half water...that could damage the mycelium quite a bit...but it would probably work and not kill it. Less would be more effective.

Second off, a liter is 100ml...6-8ml for a liter is less then 10% (just slightly though). I'd say use 10ml for every liter, but thats just me, but I do eyeball it too so maybe I got more, maybe less. Either way right around there is good....h202 is very good at killing spores, doesnt take much..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Anonymous

#3659766 - 01/21/05 07:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

thank you. it seams like common practice in the forum... i'm a newbie.

By the way, I think a liter is 1000 ml, not 100 ml.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Ranch Dressing, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation