Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAbeZard
Loc: Charleston, SC
pre-casing results of 1st timer
    #364650 - 08/01/01 09:28 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Just sharing my (subpar) results in case they are helpful for any other newbies. Also, if you have feedback to share, please do so.

1) Sterilization and Inoculation
On July 3, I sterilized 10 1 pint jars- 5 with organic white rice flour+ vermiculite and 5 with organic rye flour + vermiculite. Using the "shroom wizard"s tek (first I found on the web) I scraped spored from a print into each jar the next morning.

2) 3 weeks later- losing patience.
The wizard said 3 weeks! Although most jars are showing something, not much is happening. There are splotches of white here and there.

3) Modifications speed up colonization
I punched holes in the jars with a nail and put them in my new terrarium at 80-88 degrees (up from 70-75 before). I inject about 4 cc of water in 2 of them that look dry. Air, heat, and (in 2 cases) water will hopefully get things moving.

4) Colonization speeds
3 days later and . .wow! puffy, cumulus-like billows are showing up on several of the jars. I am amazed at the difference a few extra days(and the mods?) made.

5) Uh-oh, funny colors.
A couple of the jars look weird. One show almost nothing, so I open it to peek inside and there is a splotch of white with a splotch of green. I empty it behind my wolf's house. Maybe it will turn into something later.

6) Where it stands
It looks like I'll only be able to case 4-6 of the original 10 jars. I hope I can get enough in a first flush for 2 people to trip!

7) Status Report-
the 5 rye jars:
1 is at 70%- looks good
1 is at 40%- looks good
1 is at 5%- not much happening
1 shows not change
1 was tossed- green stuff

the 5 rice jars
2 are at 70-75%- look good
1 is at 20% but looks healthy
1 is at 80% but shows some orange . . (toss it?)
1 is at 70% but the colonization has a red-purple tint (toss it?)

Next time, I am going to use spore solution in a syringe and a verm layer on top of the jars. I feel I may not have gotten the (apparent) contaminants if I had done that.

Hope this is helpful to other newcomers and if any veterans want to help, please chip in with you 2 cents.

Abe

Abe Zaardvark
From historic coastal town in Southeast

--------------------
Abe Zaardvark

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: pre-casing results of 1st timer [Re: AbeZard]
    #364677 - 08/01/01 10:24 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Shroom wizard`s is a marginal tek at best. Nice casing method but the rest is kinda shaky. Yeah, that verm layer is very important.

OfflineMindQuester

Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: pre-casing results of 1st timer [Re: puscle]
    #364692 - 08/01/01 10:48 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Verm layer is very important. Might want to use brown rice instead of white rice. Your jars are definitely showing some inconsistencies. Most of my friends batches might have one or two jars with inconsistencies, but even that is rare. Most of the time they colonize fully between 12-21 days.

My presence here, any of the words I read, or any of the words I write are for the specific purposes of researching a novel in progress.
There is a good Mindquester and a bad Mindquester.

--------------------
My presence here, any of the words I read, or any of the words I write are for the specific purposes of researching a novel in progress.
There is a good Mindquester and a bad Mindquester.

OfflineAbeZard
Loc: Charleston, SC
Re: pre-casing results of 1st timer [Re: MindQuester]
    #364775 - 08/01/01 01:15 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

MIndquester-
I just couldn't find any organic brown rice flour. Now that I know I can grind up some rice in my coffee grinder, I'll do that for next time.
Yes, the inconsistencies befuddle me- wish I knew why.
BTW, where did you find that rotating tree of life? Are you a kabbalist or did you just think it looks cool?
Abe

Abe Zaardvark

--------------------
Abe Zaardvark

OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
Re: pre-casing results of 1st timer [Re: AbeZard]
    #364849 - 08/01/01 03:04 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

My friend's cakes are still not colonized, and it has been 6 weeks. Out of 8 1/2 pint jars, 1 contam and the 7 are still good, almost done. Strain: PC Gulf Coast grown in 1/2 pint BRF/Verm... Weird huh?

Edited by Shiznitz on 08/01/01 04:06 PM.

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures