Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

some writings you may find interesting
    #3645407 - 01/18/05 10:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i'm taking a course right now called the ascent of humanity. it's about about the rise of technology and its effect on us humans. very interesting. the prof's a pretty cool guy. something tells me he's eaten his share of our favorite fungus.

here are some of his writings. they're quite a bit longer than what you're probably used to reading from a computer screen, but they're interesting:

money and property

"On all levels of being, we are living in an age of fragmentation: the dissolution of the community, of the extended family, even of the nuclear family; the categorization and labeling of the world; the division of knowledge into fields. All of these may be seen as..."

the triumph of technology

"For at least 200 years now, futurists have been predicting the imminent rise of a technological utopia, or "technotopia", founded on the premise that technology will free mankind from labor, suffering, disease, and possibly even death. This view is implicit..."

the ethics of eating meat: a radical view

"Most vegetarians I know are not primarily motivated by nutrition. Although they argue strenuously for the health benefits of a vegetarian diet, many see good health as a reward for the purity and virtue of a vegetarian diet, or as an added..."

excerpts from "the yoga of eating"

-"Reliance on willpower reveals a profound distrust of one's self."
-"We overeat not because we enjoy food too much - it is because we don't enjoy it enough."

intellectual property: is it theft?

"Back in February, well before the recent crackdown on illegal file sharing, I asked my class how many of them download copyrighted materials from the Internet. The show of hands was unanimous. "According to the legal definition," I said, "you are all thieves. But stealing has a moral..."

opening to life: Autoimmunity and the Spirituality of Fermentation

"Different societies exhibit different disease patterns. In the modern era, the most rapidly growing and most lethal diseases are almost all some variation of autoimmune dysfunction. Diseases such as autism, diabetes, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis..."

the matrix

"Why does The Matrix enjoy near-universal appeal among college students? Of course it's got great kung fu, nifty special effects, an intriguing story, and so forth, but I think there is more to it than that. The main premise of The Matrix is that the reality presented to us is phony..."

the illness seeks the medicine

"As individuals and as a society we seem drawn to behaviors that contribute to our own destruction, behaviors that keep us in a low, unhealthy, depressed state of existence. Seeing the destruction wrought by diets, habits, and lifestyles, we decide to make a change. A kind of self-disgust motivates..."

radical reconnection

"The desire to seek out patterns and make connections ? to find the reasons for things ? is a fundamental characteristic of the human mind. No wonder, then, that when..."

youth

"What is the cause of the riots that are increasingly common in university towns around the country? Some say alcohol; others cite some mysterious moral degeneration, along the lines of "Young people these days?" Or maybe it's the ambient violence in our society, or the architecture of student apartments, or the parties..."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: some writings you may find interesting [Re: ]
    #3649597 - 01/19/05 07:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Nice links. Thank you.  :thumbup:

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology