Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesmoorhsmmm
Stranger
 User Gallery
low pin count....
    #3644827 - 01/18/05 08:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hey i have birthed my first cake and i was wondering why my pin count is a little low. rh is 90-95 temp is 75ish and they get inderect sunlight for more than 9 hrs a day. also 3 air exchanges a day too. i have 4 pins actually i harvested one shroom because the veil broke and 3 more pins are growing, but thats it!! any suggestions would be apreciated! thx!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: low pin count.... [Re: smoorhsmmm]
    #3644892 - 01/18/05 08:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's hard to obtain the desired cropping surface with pinning for cakes in my opinion. You can provide the perfect environment for fruiting (what you described is ideal, but RH should be 95+ for cakes) and it just doesn't work out because cakes are picky bastards. Just because a cake colonizes nicely doesn't mean the substrate moisture content is just right for nice, even flushes. Never had luck with cakes myself, a few shrooms here and there like you mentioned.

Dunking is a new thing since I've played with cakes, and it seems to have (partially) solved the problems I described about substrate drying out. 12 hour dunk in water, and shoot for 95%+ RH, try that out next run.

HD

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinesmoorhsmmm
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: low pin count.... [Re: Holydiver]
    #3644933 - 01/18/05 08:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hmm maybe i will up the rh, but i did dunk the cakes for about 10 hours too and rolled them in verm. thanks for the insight!

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3645275 - 01/18/05 09:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sometimes that's all you'll get from BRF cakes. I've found that double-end casing them works great. You can find the Tek for this here .

And here is a pic of one of my BRF/Verm cakes after double end casing. I didn't even dunk it.

--------------------

Offlinesmoorhsmmm
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: low pin count.... [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3645648 - 01/18/05 10:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hmm ok so basically wait for pins to form in jar before birthing, then let it flush once and then put wet verm on the other side of the cake, so both top and bottom have verm sticking to it, then spray lightly the top of the cake everytime you spray the fruiting chamber. is that basically all? ooh ps i didnt wait for primordia to form before i birthed and dunked on my first cakes, any adverse effects doing that? thanks... :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :crazy2:

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3645796 - 01/18/05 11:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I never let invitro pins form either. I just wait until 3 or 4 days after the cakes are visually fully colonized and then I birth them. I usually don't dunk though it is recommended. All I do is give them a light rinse then roll them in dry vermiculite then spray it until it glistens with moisture. The reason I roll it in dry verm is because it sticks better. After that I saturate some vermiculite to the point that it is very wet but not dripping then I place it in a saucer. I place the cake down on top of that and add some wet verm to the top of the cake as well. Hope this helps and GL.

--------------------

Offlinekiss
numbnuts
 User Gallery

Loc: under your bed
Re: low pin count.... [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3646321 - 01/19/05 12:31 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Do yourself a favor and try your hand at casing afew jars. I see alot of newbie getting nervus about it, but it's no big deal...really.
No need to be affraid about anything, and their are some many benits to it.
I've never done the cake thing myself, but for 2+ yrs. I devoted all my jars to casings with either using the just straight plain ol vermiculite.
BRF or not, some folks I have seen on here say that it's not worth your time if your substrate is BRF....complete BS if you ask me!
The folks that tell you this must be having some sort of problems them selves or an ego trip!
The hardest part of the hobby is pretty much complete, once your jars are 100%. Alittle bit of cow dung and verm. will make even the best cake look sickening.
No need to waste the space in your tub, only to yeild half of what you will get when you case.
Well you asked for some juggestions and this is what I give...
Good Luck!

--------------------
see dick drink
see dick drive
see dick die
don't be a dick!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation