Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNewf
Stranger
 User Gallery
fantastic wild one from this fall - anyone id it?
    #3637531 - 01/17/05 12:47 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It was a poor season for wild ones this year up north but I came across some interesting ones including a huge chantarelle patch. This particular one looks like an anamita but I can't find it in any of my guides...at least not to my satisfaction. Print was cream to white. Here's a pic.

Any thoughts on ID

Edited by Newflee (01/17/05 12:50 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePlatinumCaps
Cocaine $ells

Loc: Vansterdam
Re: fantastic wild one from this fall - anyone id it? [Re: Newf]
    #3637631 - 01/17/05 01:53 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Amanita Var. Formosa indefinetly =D

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #3637981 - 01/17/05 07:05 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

definitely amanita

I have doubts about it being A. muscaria var. formosa as was suggested above though. lack of a prominent annulus and basal rings make me think it could be something else. I found some similar amanitas last spring, the closest I could get to on an ID was A. gemmata, still not sure about them though. I definitely wouldn't eat it, if that's why you're asking...

DH

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #3638139 - 01/17/05 09:06 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hrm, what is your general area?

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleNewf
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: fantastic wild one from this fall - anyone id it? [Re: canid]
    #3639046 - 01/17/05 01:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Habitat was a fresh (not dry) green grassy ditch. Several were discovered within a few square feet and nowhere else throughout my season of hunting. I was thinking it was the Yellow- orange fly as well except the caps were not planar on any of the specimens. In fact the large one pictured was near the end of it's life and was obviously far from planar....but what a monster.
No I had no intentions of eating it and I even kept them separate from the rest of the mush collected that morning. Nothing that cool looking could be edible. Might trip REAL hard though. In hind sight I should have saved a spore print for Microscopic exam or plated out a tissue culture.
Here's another group of what I thought was probably Honey mushrooms that were growing in mass at the base of a lone young wild oak bush. I didn't eat these either because I was not 100% convinced they were honey. Past their prime anyway if they were.

Keep the ideas coming :crazy: :thumbup:

Edited by Newflee (02/19/05 03:08 AM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3639148 - 01/17/05 01:27 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You should also check Amanitas for bruising. Your specimens at first glance suggest to me the species group near Amanita rubescens.

Your other mushrooms are definitely Honey Mushrooms. The major thing to check out with them before eating is that they have a white spore print, not brown (which would indicate Pholiota).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleNewf
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: fantastic wild one from this fall - anyone id it? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3640237 - 01/17/05 05:41 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the info.
Here a nother group that are super common among the dense moist birch and poplar forest here. They smell very pleasntly mushroomy and have a white print. Cap is sunken. Any ideas?

Obviously too dirty to print for culturing purposes let alone eat. Typically they are covered with decomposing leaves in fall before poking through in quite a grimy state.

Edited by Newflee (01/17/05 05:44 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3640563 - 01/17/05 06:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Those look like the very common Russula brevipes. Try cutting the gills with your knife to see if they bleed juice (often milk-like). If they bleed then they're actually a Lactarius species. If they don't, then they're Russulas.

These Russulas are very hot tasting (like very hot radishes) and they are strongly not recommended for eating.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleNewf
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3641199 - 01/17/05 09:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Cool, thanks for the reply.
I have a couple more that you can take a stab at.
The first group of pictures will appear very similar to the second, however I had reason to group them as shown for photos.

and the second,

and finally, anyone want to pinpoint the oyster species here. Found on a fallen birch.

That's all she wrote for this past season. The chantarelles that I have no photos of were the best find followed by a lone morel that I found right next to my driveway last spring. Bolettes are common too but I somehow come across them after the insects have had their way with them.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3641501 - 01/17/05 10:29 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The 2 collections of white mushrooms look like Leucopaxillus or one of the very similar looking Clitocybe species. Unfortunately they are very difficult to distinguish from each other accurately. None of them are worth eating.

The Pleurotus looks to be one of the many difficult to separate from each other species near Pleurotus ostreatus. A possibility is Pleurotus pulmonarius. All of these similar species are edible and worth hunting for. Verify that the spore print is white to pale lilac (not brown) before eating.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleNewf
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3641666 - 01/17/05 11:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks Toxic, You know your stuff.
The only thing that I ate from last summer were some beauty chantarelles (found about 10 lbs wet and still have at least a quarter pound dry), the morel and as many shaggy manes as I can find. I grow oysters so I had no reason to eat the wild ones, and those particular ones were a tad past their prime. I would have plated out some tissue if they were in better shape however as they are for sure a different type than the pearls I cultivate.
I'm new to this site and wealth of information so this summer I'll have a great reference to work with.
-40C here right now so all our strange little fungi are sleeping. Just Birch polypore poking around.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures