Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBigBobbie
Stranger
Old Casing to Spawn
    #3640138 - 01/17/05 07:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey ya'll,

For my first mushie grow I'm doing 6 1/2 pint cakes and using 4 more to case with, all Eq. I was thinking, after 2-3 flushes off the cakes and casings, can I just use them as spawn to mix with some sterilized straw and poo? This is assuming that there is no mold or problems with the cakes and casing. Seems like a waste to just throw them out, and it?s a wee bit cold out to throw them outside.

Thanks,
bOB

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Old Casing to Spawn [Re: BigBobbie]
    #3640190 - 01/17/05 07:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldn't suggest that, in theory it could work but you want the youngest/freshest spawn material you can get to have the bulk material work in your favor for pinsets, flushes etc. That is spent substrate on it's last leg, not a fresh batch ready to colonize straw/poo.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineBigBobbie
Stranger
Re: Old Casing to Spawn [Re: Holydiver]
    #3641383 - 01/18/05 12:08 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If I'm just tossing these cakes though, mixing say, half the casing with fresh grains, wrapping in plastic and hopefully letting it develop. New growth would begin correct? Or does the culture still age and become weak?

Thanks,
bOB

Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!
 Arcade Champion: Poker

#3641425 - 01/18/05 12:14 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

it need nutrients, they have already either been used up or on the last tiny bit of them, you could toss them in the fridge and wait for warmer weather to start an outdoor TEK but i'd sat toss em if they stop producing

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #3641431 - 01/18/05 12:15 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Spent substrate is pretty worthless, last thing I'd do is use it to colonize fresh grains with.  Why not just get a new culture going?  I'd pitch those spent cakes/casings. :cool:

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Old Casing to Spawn [Re: Holydiver]
    #3643622 - 01/18/05 04:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Its got nothing to do with anything mentioned so far, but they're right, you shouldnt do it. The nutrients in the casing have nothing to do with the new casing, the new casing should have straw or shit to provide all the nutrients it needs. The problem is the older mycelium will be less resistent to contams and will also grow slower since it been in fruiting mode for 4-6 weeks or whatever after 2-3 flushes. When your using bulk its pasteurized and time is important. You want it to colonize quickly so that it doesnt contaminate, using older casings will work against this goal. Thats why fresh spawn should be used...it will quickly take the bulk and fight off contamination.

If however you can get it to colonize the bulk completly without contaminating it would fruit just fine. However those older grains could also cause it to not make it as many flushes before becoming contaminated. Either way, contamination will be the issue with this..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #3643652 - 01/18/05 04:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BigBobbie said:I was thinking, after 2-3 flushes off the cakes and casings, can I just use them as spawn to mix with some sterilized straw and poo? This is assuming that there is no mold or problems with the cakes and casing.

Yes it's possible to do...but it's risky....chances are you will end up with contams.

Guess it's up to you....do you feel lucky?
Well do ya punk!~
"In my best Clint Eastwood voice"

lolzz

Good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineBigBobbie
Stranger
Re: Old Casing to Spawn [Re: Roadkill]
    #3650872 - 01/19/05 11:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks ya'll. By them time I'm finished with them it'll be early spring so I'll just refridge for a 3-4 weeks and throw them outside and see what happens. Throwing them in with some pasterized straw and poo outside should be ok just to let them go correct? Does anyone have any links for outside cultivation? I found a couple on this site, but any more info is hard to find.

Thanks,
bB

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation