Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineadam0421
Stranger

Mini Straw Casings?
    #3635675 - 01/16/05 04:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I know straw is generally used for bulk production but I was wondering how well it does on a smaller scale. Basically I'm going to have some WBS fully colonized here in the next couple days and wanted to try making a small straw casing to get the hang of how straw reacts and moisture needed and all the little things that u dont learn until u try something. I'm planning to go bulk in the near future but dont have the money or supplies right now to do it. Would a small straw casing give me an accururate representation of how a big container (70 gallon) would operate?

--------------------
"You know what cheers me up when I'm feeling shitty? Rolled up Aces over kings. Check-Raising stupid tourists and taking huge pots off them. Stacks and towers of checks I cant even see over. Playing all-night High limit hold'em at the Taj, 'Where the sand turns to gold."
-Edward Norton from the movie rounders

"You can't bluff someone who isn't paying attention"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mini Straw Casings? [Re: adam0421]
    #3635812 - 01/16/05 05:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

sure, what are your plans?

--------------------
buh

Offlineadam0421
Stranger

Re: Mini Straw Casings? [Re: shirley knott]
    #3635846 - 01/16/05 05:44 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I was planning on using a 6 qt sterilite container which is about 12 inches long 6 in. wide and 6 in. deep. was going to pastuerize enough straw for about a 4" base, mix a quart of colonized WBS in with the straw, then pack it down in the container and place plastic wrap directly over the straw, cut a few holes in the plastic wrap and place the lid on the container then place in incubator. was going to case with 50/50 verm/coco mix. Everthing with that plan sound alright?

--------------------
"You know what cheers me up when I'm feeling shitty? Rolled up Aces over kings. Check-Raising stupid tourists and taking huge pots off them. Stacks and towers of checks I cant even see over. Playing all-night High limit hold'em at the Taj, 'Where the sand turns to gold."

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3637934 - 01/17/05 06:40 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

straw = straw :grin: :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mini Straw Casings? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3639029 - 01/17/05 12:57 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds just fine to me...I've done just that a few times. Warning though if your using tin foil casing containers...my straw/myc ate right through it. I'd place a few layers of tin foil inside..havnt had a problem eating it away like that.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineadam0421
Stranger

Re: Mini Straw Casings? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3639213 - 01/17/05 01:38 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Sweet, thanx for the tips, I love this place. I was just planning on using a small tupperware container, with tin foil on the outside just to block light and was just going to use (saran wrap??) plastic to cover it on the inside while it's colonizing.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3639253 - 01/17/05 01:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

May as well just line the inside with tinfoil...makes for easier cleanup in the end of the tupperware containers too. Plus tin foil on the outside doesnt stay on too well..

Plastic wrap to cover while colonizing works.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
    #3639254 - 01/17/05 01:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I suggest wrapping ducttape around the outside, as tinfoil can tear off and make messes and stuff. Tape sticks and stays right where u put it.

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mini Straw Casings? [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #3639268 - 01/17/05 01:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Duct tape+high humidity and washing = a big mess and contam heaven after time and multiple uses. Not that it doesnt work...tin foil inside just makes it easier all around..

--------------------

Offlineadam0421
Stranger

Re: Mini Straw Casings? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3639412 - 01/17/05 02:27 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

sweet. once again more stuff that u would really only learn with experience, thanx for the input. Tinfoil on the inside is sounding like the route to go

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3639730 - 01/17/05 03:53 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Tinfoil inside better option then tinfoil outside cause it rips apart so damn easily.

atm I have 3 half a pints of straw.. :p

Remaining "failures"... which I dont want to toss so I cased some half pints.. ;P One will be going into fruiting chamber 2morrow I suppose, the myc is coming through the casing layer so.. We'll see.
I had a half a pint of wbs which I threated as a cake, with vermlayer and 4 inoc-holes. Was to test a (my first) selfmade syringe on with PF Classic.
When it was almost ready I saw greenmold in the top. :evil: Bad applying of vermlayers can lead to this.... :wink:

I threw the upper 50% of teh wbs away. But could not just toss it all.
SO I put the half pint in the oven with some pre-soaked straw pasteurized and added the spawn after cooling.

So far no green monster, not in THAT casing/jar... :frown:

Hehe thats in a straw tub with B+. Muchos greenos bastardos in there.
Cause I overheated it after spawning 50% of the myc died, now all kind of contams are fighting for there piece of straw in there. I cut the bad parts away inclusing some of the good parts. I cased 2 half pints today. Hope they  will be fine. cause I dont have any B+ spores I must save the strain! :laugh:

Ok good luck,
MF

--------------------

OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Re: Mini Straw Casings? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3639898 - 01/17/05 04:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Dude the duct tape could work too, there's weatherproof duct tape, i use it and haven't had problems, even w/ 100% humidity during fruiting.

--------------------
check out www.island.org Started by Bruce Eisner, it's an organization trying to make Island by Aldous Huxley a reality.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: Mini Straw Casings? [Re: Elfmachine]
    #3640017 - 01/17/05 04:59 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I havent alufoil in the jars right now, Seen the size of it Ill use alufoil outside. Wanna be able to use them as pf cakes as well itf.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mini Straw Casings? [Re: Elfmachine]
    #3643526 - 01/18/05 01:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Perhaps...I just have used alot of duct tape in my closets, taping up seams of plastic and such. In high humidity over a few months the duct tape turned green. I believe though "weather resistant" over time and washings it could wear down and become infected anyway as long as it still has the strings. Thats the part of duct tape thats the problem....

Besides all that, foil on the inside of any container, clear or not, just makes things easier because clean up is a snap. After 6-8 weeks in the casing container the casing can eat its way in well. When you dump it, you just wrap up the tin foil into a ball and you have a nice clean container ready to go into the dishwasher and not needing a prescrub.

Like I said, either works, I just go the tin foil inside method.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag