Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Worry
    #3637164 - 01/16/05 10:53 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Worry is an addiction
That interferes with compassion.

Worry is a problem that seems to be rampant. Perhaps it is due to the nature of our overly advanced civilization; perhaps it is a measure of our own spiritual degeneracy. Whatever the source, it is clear that worry is not useful. It is a cancer of the emotions - concern gone compulsive. It eats away at body and mind.

It does no good to say, "Don't think about it." You'll only worry more. It is far better to keep walking your path, changing what you can. The rest must be dissolved in compassion. In this world of infants with immune deficiencies, racial injustices, economic imbalance, personal violence, and international conflict, it is impossible to address everyone's concern. Taking care of yourself and doing something good for those whom you meet is enough. That is compassion, and we must excercise it even in the face of overwhelming odds.

Whenever you meet a problem, help if it is in your power to do so. After you have acted, withdraw and be unconcerned about it. Walk on without ever mentioning it to anybody. Then there is no worry, because there has been action.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
Re: Worry [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3638419 - 01/17/05 10:43 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I am consumed by worry. But what I worry about is that others may be suffering or may encounter suffering.

In what way does compassion dissolve worry? It feels discompassionate to not be concerned with the well being of others. So I hold on to the worry for fear of losing compassion.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: Worry [Re: Source]
    #3638544 - 01/17/05 11:15 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Worry is certainly a fearful state, its only remedy is to look at who is experiencing this fear and rest in that space. Its a practice one has to repeat over and over, but carefree confidence arises out of this space we look to for refuge!

Compassion doesnt depend on worry, we can of course have both, but the worry and the compassion are related to the experience and the observer. Look directly at who is experiencing this worry, then let go and relax.It will disolve into that pure compassionate space as it is.

Then even the observer will not be present as the expereince and observer are dependant upon one another. When one disolves they both disolve leaving just pure open awareness.

--------------------

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3638547 - 01/17/05 11:16 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Worry creates anxiety. Anxiety causes action. Worry prompts us to act. If we worried of nothing, nothing would be done.

--------------------

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
Re: Worry [Re: Sinbad]
    #3638705 - 01/17/05 12:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I am able to remain in the 'witness' state and disidentify with the experience of worry and suffering for limited amounts of time. I have not experienced the state of self and other disolving into pure awareness...or maybe I have but I haven't labled it as such.

I think I could remain as the witness for the rest of my life but I am not sure what would prompt me to act to relive the suffering of others from such a place. Kind of the point Jux made.

I don't know, maybe there are no 'others' to help.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Worry [Re: Source]
    #3638852 - 01/17/05 12:28 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Being a witness is like remaining inside a cage, the worry you are experiencing is probably a result of non-action, try first to activly help with awareness of yourself and others needs, this will contribute significantly to the quality of your practice. When balancing between self and other one discovers a middle ground.

In looking for an observer you find none, and in looking at the experience you find nothing solid which you can grasp. This is the moment of the indivisablility of self and other.

In the fault of remaining as a mere witness one continues with a dualistic distinction between self and other.

Try to become as aware of your surroundings, environment and others as you are of your own thoughts, feelings and emotions. In finding nothing substantial in either subject nor object, you reveal the illusion.

In short perceiving the impermenant, illusory nature of all phenomena, rest in your natural state as it is! No manipulation is required! If you have trouble with this technique, take a look at the Simple Meditation Technique post. There are much better methods for dealing with such obstacles there.

Do not take my words as truth, instead test out the methods and discover whether they work or not. If not search for other methods.

The best thing to do, is find a teacher who can guide you and with whom you can have close and direct contact! This is always the best policy when embarking on any spiritual path.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3639007 - 01/17/05 12:53 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Worry is anxiety. It is my constitutional enemy as a 'Meso-Ectomorph.' I am not plagued by other existential malaises like guilt, shame, boredom, or regret, but anxiety is my enemy. Your expression "cancer of the emotions" is brilliant. Cancer is at the peak of my anxiety scale, and as I am to undergo surgery on Thursday for a lump in my armpit - even though the surgeon who probed me said he's "98%" sure that it's not cancerous - I'm beginning to develop nervous bowels. I survived Malignant Melanoma in '96, and so the cancer fear is not an irrational or phobic thing.

Now Freud and certain Existential psychotherapists like Irv Yalom point to death as the ultimate source of anxiety. If we look closely, many of us have spoken at length about 'ego death' on psychedelics as important - but few have expressed the importance in terms of practice for physical death. It is not the actual moment of the separation of consciousness from bodily processes that is behind my anxiety, it is the immediate cause of death that is. I prefer a vascular event, like the stopage of my heart - with enough warning to lock-in-lotus posture, ideally, first. I would rather not die from cancer (my astrological sign).

My Lady stays logical with me. Do not worry, it is not merely useless, it is destructive. If I have some cyst or benign thing, then all this psychobiological self-torture is weakening my immune system, screwing with my adrenals and endocrine system, etc. I have to stay in 'the Witness,' the 'Center' and watch my own psychological drama with "Unbearable Compassion."
Really, this is not the same thing as feeling self-pity or feeling sorry for myself. It is not a feeling-state at all. I must watch Markos' thoughts and cut at their roots continually with the Sword of Discriminating Wisdom. I 'feel' good, I am healthy, not losing weight, good appetite, vigorous sex drive. One, single 1.5 cm lump does not translate into Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Such thoughts are nothing less the kind of demonic assaults that St. Anthony of Egypt struggled with. This s**t is what Freud called "The Pathology of Everyday Life." My soul is a battlefield - I will win. I will not surrender to fear, mortal terror. As I learned in complete serenity on my first Windowpane LSD trip on July 1, 1972 from my tripping buddy Kenny B. : "If ya die...ya die."

Peace be with you, and me. 'The peace that passes all understanding.'

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Worry [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3639298 - 01/17/05 01:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

If you soley remain in 'The witness' position like a person looking out from behind a window, this creates anxiety. The sheer horror of not being able to help because your stuck behind this metaphorical window.

The illusion of self and other must be broken in order to be free from the cage of non-action. Is this feeling of being trapped and isolated what you are experiencing? If this is the case then the worst thing you can do is retreat into 'The witness' position as this is like running and hiding into the corner of your cage.

Im sorry to be so metaphorical and depressing but i know no other way to describe this condition. Basically one needs to be free of the notion of self. This illusory self creates all obstacles in life, without it we would be free to help others in an unlimited fashion without hope or fear.

We would just spontaniously act in the most apropriate way to benefit others becuase we would see the suffering of other without the compliactions of self and have no choice but to act! Our nature would demand our action!

If we continue to ignore our nature, then experinces of depression and hopelessness (in the negative sense)continue to prevade our lives, as we go against, ignore and reject our true nature which is both wise and compassionate.

To observe onself is fine, but to ignore others and soley concetrate on ourselves for our won benefit is in complete contradiction to our real nature, and we feel it! This is where all the negative emotions arise from. Our distorded views we place between ourselves and others.

In Tibetan there doesnt exist a word for guilt. Only when we act in complete contradiction to our real nature do we waste our time. Hence why here in the west we say that 'guilt is the biggest waste of time'!

Does anyone disagree?

Practice Kindness and Generosity in an unlimited fashion towards others, and these negative emotions and distinctions will be undercut!

Dedicate all merit gained from such actions to the benfit of others, and make the wish for all beings to be free from suffering and its cause.

Of course to practice meditation for onself at first is essential, how can we help others unless we have sorted ourselves out firat. But we should always dedicate such merit gained from meditation to the benfit of all beings, so that the practice becomes a cause for us to attain enlightenment so that we can benefit infinite beings in an unlimited way  :crazy2: :wink: :laugh:.

--------------------

Edited by Sinbad (01/17/05 02:04 PM)

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3639849 - 01/17/05 04:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Great topic to touch on Skorp. I come from a line of chronic worriers, my grandams, mom , it slipped me, and now my daughter. It annoys the hell out of me too. I do not understand worry.

ya, it looks like it is a form of care and concern. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I think it's drama shit. Said in a theatrical voice, "Look at me in my worry for that which has not even happened. See the depth of my care and concern for that which not even is. I am so caring and concerned look at me look at me so caring, so concerned."

It is useless. Worry is misplaced fear of what hasn't even happened. Worry is the product of imagining the worst and then becoming paralyzed in fear of thoughts that the worst you imagine may happen.

What that has to do with genuine care and concern for what actually is I have no idea.

Worry does not take action, it can't. before going to bed, my daughter asked, "where's the cat". I said, i don't know look for her. My daughter stood around moving into worry, what if she is outside, we can't leave her outside over night, what if this and that happens to her she carried on." I said again, Look for her and make sure she is inside. Daughter standing around, Dad says she's in. Okay then, I said. But where is she said Arielle, what if she is outside and again the worry and what if. Again, I said, then find her so we know for sure where she is.

She stood around dwelling in this drama of what may not be and what may be and I didn't get it, I just stood their dumbfounded for a second in witness of this display of drama at its finest.

I asked her, how is worrying going to ease your fear? Where is this fear even coming from, as for all you know, she is curled up safe in a closet. Should the worry not start until after you can not find her in the house I thought? Even then, should it not start until after you can't find her in or out? WTF? Even  then, what does worry do to solve a potential problem? Who says there is a problem? What makes a problem a problem anyway?

Odd how this worry drama took place right after I read this post last night so I gave it a lot of thought by just having witnessed it's absolute uselessness.

(the cat was in by the way)

Think of when one is in a state of worry, which usually leads to panic which is even worse. What is the cause? A thought that something bad has happened or will. Right from the get go one in worry has stepped out of here and now reality and into delusion.

Someone please equate worry with genuine care and concern because I can't no mater ow i look at it. care and concern moves to prevent and that takes action. Personally, i think worry is for the lazy.

My grandmother would not let me and my sibs ages 4-11 play outside when she watched us because something "might happen". Was that it or was it easier to keep her fat ass on the same spot of her favorite couch where she could see us indoors then to get up and go out with us and supervise. How easy to create fictitious outcomes to keep her rendered immobile and from taking active actual responsible care to go with us. Laziness discussed as worry and concern.

It dawned on me my daughter pulled the same drama shit so I would go looking for the cat cuz she was to lazy to. If not lazy, it's the fear of taking responsibility. Obviously she cared about the cats well being, but how was standing their worrying herself into a frenzy taking active care.

Obviously, my grandmother cared that we did not get hurt or taken away, but how was her worry, if not lazy, her taking active responsible care.

Note that the active word is missing wither way, fear of responsibility or laziness same difference to me.

How is worry useful? The minute ones begin taking active care in the form of being responsible to see something through safely, worry is no longer at play. Worry is only at play while in inactive fear of taking responsible action.

If you really care about something then take active responsibility for seeing it through safely. If it is a situation far beyond your control, then, let it go as worry is useless and only makes your state of being worse. Worry has no impact on the actual reality at hand.

Worry to me is nothing more then fear of taking responsibility and turns into laziness and drama shit to support the laziness to support the fear of responsibility for inability to see life through safely.

Just my observation on it. So, maybe i should start a post on where this fear of taking active responcibility for seeing life through safely comes from without rendering everything into a state of paralysis. Imobility to secure things is not where its at. Thats being imprisoned not living freely or fully. :nut:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: Worry [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3640003 - 01/17/05 04:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

great post jig-jig in my family the biggest worry wort is my father. everytime when i go out for a drive or out to a club or just even out everytime without fail he says "be careful", "make sure you have your safety belt on", "take it quitely", "stay out of trouble" soon reply with does that make you feel better that you have said that? is that going to stop somebody hitting us in a car? in all our years of living have you known us to get into trouble? no i am going to take it loudly. and i go on and on. but next time when go to step out of the door the questioning begins again. but then you have to think is it worry or habit?

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Edited by spudamore (01/17/05 04:58 PM)

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Worry [Re: spudamore]
    #3640079 - 01/17/05 05:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Habit? could be. A habit of expressing a feeling of helplessness i suppose it is. All I know is, worry is not healthy and it is useless, and sometimes, worries can cause your worst fear to happen in a self fullfilling prophecy way.

We create the tragic outscome and then sat, "see, I told you that would happen" so we can confirm our need to stay feeling helpless and imobile and inactive from taking responcible active care or just moving into trust and letting go.

Funny to hear your dads worrying self. It is annoying to be around isn't it? If you guys catch me enganging in worry talk here, slap me, okay.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: Worry [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3640110 - 01/17/05 05:17 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hahahhaha its annoying and funny at the same time, just to see a person to act a certain way when they don't have to, if something is going to happen its going to happen wether you worry about it or not there is nothing that is going to stop it.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3641114 - 01/17/05 09:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The advancement may be a factor since many of us are in a rush because we have the ability to get more things done at once.

Worry is a reaction from the mind forcing its will upon reality. Our ego says "something should be this way" and when reality gives us something different, we react instantly with uneasy emotions. If we had a concept going around that showed us how we cannot get what we want and still be happy, then we would progress a lot further.

whether it's advertising, movies, tv, video games, our world is getting quicker...and so i think it's reasonable to say that the mind itself will reaction emotionally just as quick.

"but it now" "call now and we'll slash one payment for you" "you better hurry, sales like these don't last forever"

hurry hurry hurry, and when we are hurried...we are also worried. uneasy because this..this and that needs to get done, and as quickly as possible.

if we are constantly in a rush, and we also have an emotional attachment (an addiction) towards what gets done, then there's more of a chance for us to encounter uncomfortable emotions

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Worry [Re: kaiowas]
    #3641205 - 01/17/05 09:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Worrying is the fucking shits. Probably spent over a three quarters of my life just worrying about everything. It's miserable and I'm glad I've shaken it.

To anyone who's worry stricken, here's some good vibes.  :sun::sun::sun::heart::heart::heart::yesnod::cheers:

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order