Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder, Peat, Perlite, Scales, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
First Time Cultivation Qs(A faliure, more or less)
    #363682 - 07/30/01 06:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hey everyone. I just thought I'de share some problems I've been having cultivating shrooms. I Innoc'ed 12 .5pt jars around 5/20 with Tasmanian P Cubensis spores purchased from Sporeworks. Two jars became contaminated between the time I inocc'ed and the time I had to leave for vacation. Then, I was on vacation from 5/30-6/7 and 6/10-6/24 so I never had a chance to birth them when I probably should of. Deciding, with a little advice from this board, that it would be fine to leave the jars in a dark place so they do not pin, I come back 6/24 and birth 5 cakes into a large tupperware container with around 1.5" of perlite at the bottom. From the start when I birth them, I notice some nasty brown colors, but no smell so I thought I was fine. So, I birthed 5 cakes, and left the remaining 5 to sit out in the sun. Nothing happens for a while, while i religously fan twice a day and even mist (quite heavily, as I discovered now). So, I got bored waiting and decided to use some remaining jars for a casing. I crumble one jar and use it to make a 'thick' casing in a small bread tin, and use a different one to make a 'think' casing. All casing were 50/50+- (I used Jiffy Mix, its peat moss and vermiculite with a little lime in there to balance pH). I set the casings in with the jars. So, I wait a little while longer, and finally! One or two of the jars pins! I was very excited. So, I wait for the jars to pin some more and fruit. During this time, the casings are nicely formed and some pins develop on those too (first the thick one, with 20 pins, and then the thin one, with about 5 at the time [which supprised me, they were in a 5x2inch area or so, very heavy pinning. When the veils started breaking on the pf jars, I harvested most of the mushrooms from them, Including the little ones that wern't growing/growing very slowly. I left one growing on two cakes that wernt ready, in my opinion. The problem was, is these mushrooms were tiny. Like, 3"-4" tiny. However the veil had broken, so I just said '::shrug:: must be somethin to do with the strain.' So, anyway, after the first 'flush' from the cakes (2 of which were still dormant), I decided to use 2 of the remaining 3 that were supposed to grow invitro (but were still also dormant), and make a huge casing. So, I sliced 2 cakes into 1/4"ish wafers and placed them onto a layer of vermiculite in the large tupperware. I then covered it with Jiffy Mix. Also, the casings were starting to fruit now. One (whos growth was x10 faster then the rest for some reason) was already at full maturity due to my mistake, so I made a spore print. The rest of them were starting to slowly mature. From what Ive heard, slowly is the keyword there. Unfortunately, the thick casing developed a greenish mold on it, so I harvested what I could, and ditched it. I don't have a scale, but from the looks of it, I really got jipped in these. SO, right now I have 1 'invitro' jar, that hasn't even pinned yet, 3 jars in the terrarium (two of which still have the runts developing on them from leftovers of the 1st flush), 2 jars in the terrarium that lay dormant, and a thin casing (that developed many more pins, 20 at my last count), and the large casing in the other tupperware thats about ready for me to induce fruiting on. I have gotten only mabye, 3 or 4 dry grams max off this array of growing methods. It is slightly upsetting. Also, strange things happen to the mushrooms. Too many aborts, I believe. Some mushrooms, halfway between pin and dropping spores just turn a darker color (the cap) and start growing much more slowly. MUCH more slowly. I wonder, am I to fault somewhere in there? The temperatures I try to keep around 85*, but even that is very difficult to manage in Houston, TX. Realistically, I'de say it's closer to 90* during the day. I let them get light usually once a day, but unfortunately sience this operation is taking place hidden from my parents, some days it is just impossible to do so. The humidity is good, I think. When the casings were growing mycellium, I misted the tupperware to the point that there was some condensation on the sides. Now that I wanted to induce fruiting, I have simply stopped misting and let the pearlite take care of humidity. Is there anything wrong with the 3 jars that lie dormant? I made the large casing out of 2 jars that seemed somewhat dormant, will those still fruit? Also, I ordered more spores( Thai- Koh Samuai and Equadorian), and I am in the process of preforming the honeywater mycellium tek. I innoc'ed the honeywater two days ago, and I only see marginal growth. Is that normal? A sign of being too hot, mabye? Also, my grinder broke, so i decided that mabye cooking the rice would work too. Would it? I cooked enough rice for 6 jars, filled em up, innoced one of each (1 thai, 1 eq) with the spore solution, and Im going to innoc the remaining with the honeywater. Well, thanks for all your help in advance, I know this was a lot to read.

PS- After sharing with friends what little shrooms i was able to reclaim, we found out the power of those sons-of a bitches. It was all our first time to trip, but for our first times... Me and X, shall we call him, were trippin balls. Couldn't sleep. but we didnt see anything . Now Y, on the other hand... Y was convinced he couldnt get up to take a smoke break because the angel of death in the corner would kill him if he did. Also, he saw 'goofy' in his cealing fan. crazy things, shrooms are. And we all took 2g or less dosages (no scales around here, hard to measure out). THANK GOD FOR SHROOMS!

PPS- all the cooked rice jars contamed before i even innoced them. damn. the honeywater is prooving unsuccessfull too. i must have a green thumb (as in trichoderma ;))

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Re: First Time Cultivation Qs(A faliure, more or less) [Re: Keev]
    #363860 - 07/31/01 12:17 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, I tried to read all that but just couldn't keep up. :smile:
Also, I noticed you posted this same exact post at Mycotopia 10 days ago. 
How about updating things, I'm sure some of that info is outdated now and maybe some of your questions have answered themselves.
Try breaking it up into a couple of different posts so that you can get better, more specific answers to your questions.
This post has had plenty of views but no responses, most likely due to the length of the post.

Temporary Mycotopia replacement forum:

Re: First Time Cultivation Qs(A faliure, more or less) [Re: Vitticeps]
    #364157 - 07/31/01 03:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I agree i got half way through and called it quits.

Loc: UK
Re: First Time Cultivation Qs(A faliure, more or less) [Re: L3D]
    #364191 - 07/31/01 04:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I've been wallowing in my own confused, insecure dellusions

I've been wallowing in my own confused, insecure dellusions

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder, Peat, Perlite, Scales, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation