Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoojijoo
FunkMaster
KARO TEK *DELETED*
    #3635950 - 01/16/05 06:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by oojijoo

Reason for deletion: pvt

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemickywilliams2
journeyman
Re: KARO TEK [Re: oojijoo]
    #3636130 - 01/16/05 06:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The quicker you use it the better. Liquid is contam prone and myc will die eventually.
I usually wait until its about the size of a coin.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #3636189 - 01/16/05 07:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Get some decent sized clouds going, and then use it.

The great thing is you can put it away in the incubator and it will re grow :grin: , however if it gets to big , and you havent used enough, just toss it in the fridge(in the butter/cheese (whatever) section, keep it dark :wink: )

And the culture will slow down again.

Easy.

--------------------

Offlineoojijoo
FunkMaster
Re: KARO TEK *DELETED* [Re: oojijoo]
    #3638583 - 01/17/05 11:25 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by oojijoo

Reason for deletion: pvt

InvisibleNOS4A2
This is the way

Loc: -tite Flag
    #3638597 - 01/17/05 11:29 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I see many people's liq cultures in large jars and it makes me wonder how you get at it with a syringe?

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: KARO TEK [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3638636 - 01/17/05 11:38 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

My foaf uses rubber tubing. Two installed on each jar lid. Stuff polyfill in both, provides gas exchange. Syringe fits perfectly in rubber tubing end. Insert syringe into tube, tip jar, pull plunger back. Lid example & jars shown above:

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3638681 - 01/17/05 11:51 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Pic should explain it - better.

--------------------

InvisibleNOS4A2
This is the way

Re: KARO TEK [Re: agar]
    #3638737 - 01/17/05 12:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

My only question about your setup as clever as it is- when you suck out from the jar you will be creating a vaccum and as soon as you pull that syringe out you'll be sucking contams won't you? Unless, you pinch off the tube before removing syringe, remove syringe, then fill tube with polyfill, then remove hemo.
Just thinking out loud, you prob already thought that thru. Just don't remember you telling anyone. So making a long enough tube would be very important to keep in mind when fabricating, right?
thanks for your ideas. What do you use to keep the tube attached securely to the jar?

GL ALL

NOS

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3638802 - 01/17/05 12:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

NOS4A2 said:
My only question about your setup as clever as it is- when you suck out from the jar you will be creating a vaccum and as soon as you pull that syringe out you'll be sucking contams won't you?
NOS

Other tube has polyfil filter material in it. No vaccum created.
Underside of lid, where tubing comes through, use RTV high temp silicone. Hole in lid is SLIGHTLTY smaller than tube - anyway. So it's a snug fit. Used silicone, just to insure no leaks.

This is the type silicone:

--------------------

InvisibleNOS4A2
This is the way

Re: KARO TEK [Re: agar]
    #3639006 - 01/17/05 12:53 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds good. Now where do they sell surgical tubing in stores?

--------------------

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3639060 - 01/17/05 01:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Judging by the size I would probably hit an auto parts store and check out the vacuum hose section. Most of them sell clear vinyl tubing there in a few sizes.

InvisibleNOS4A2
This is the way

Re: KARO TEK [Re: metasin]
    #3639082 - 01/17/05 01:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Vinyl's kinda stiff rather have latex(surgical)

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: KARO TEK [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #3647325 - 01/19/05 07:33 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I did something nasty, I would love and apreciate comments on it. I did karo, pc for about 30 min. Then I inoculate it, with mycelium, and here is the nasty part, but from a substrate that was out of the jar, in the fruiting chamber? I did this cause that cake its all I got.
I was obsessively careful with sterilization. I used anti germs wipes, soap, Lysol, spry with alcohol, used an airtight globebox, and a sealed jar, no holes. (I pc it with loosy lid and foil layer and then just sealed it after transfer)

Do I have a chance?
How does contams look like?
Has anyone done this?

Invisiblemadsickpenguin
Re: KARO TEK [Re: cuatiklad]
    #3647429 - 01/19/05 08:28 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Can you draw the liquid myc into the syringe and then store the syringe for later use? Or would one have to worry about the myc growing inside the syringe?

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
Re: KARO TEK [Re: madsickpenguin]
    #3647560 - 01/19/05 09:16 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

that's what the cat. had myc stored in fridge and in syringe for almost two month before it noc'd up the latest batch of jars. no probs, no contams. do not know what max length of fridge storage in karo or syringe is, though.

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: KARO TEK [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #3647598 - 01/19/05 09:27 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:
Get some decent sized clouds going, and then use it.

The great thing is you can put it away in the incubator and it will re grow :grin: , however if it gets to big , and you havent used enough, just toss it in the fridge(in the butter/cheese (whatever) section, keep it dark :wink: )

And the culture will slow down again.

Easy.

That looks like semen

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Anonymous

Re: KARO TEK [Re: tahoe]
    #3648439 - 01/19/05 01:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, me again.
mmm? could any one throw comments on what is four posts up?
I don?t mean to pressure. Its only that I?m a newbie and? well, I lost 12 jars, not even for contams, bat because nothing happened? and this cake, that is not even a cake, is a casing, its all I have, so I?m trying to get more jars from it?

Offlinecandykid420
I'm not a newbie
    #3649002 - 01/19/05 03:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

after much reading, i still cant figure what the Karo tek is all about (whats the purpose?)

OfflineShroomanton
Shrooman!
    #3649373 - 01/19/05 04:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cuatiklad said:
I did something nasty, I would love and apreciate comments on it. I did karo, pc for about 30 min. Then I inoculate it, with mycelium, and here is the nasty part, but from a substrate that was out of the jar, in the fruiting chamber? I did this cause that cake its all I got.
I was obsessively careful with sterilization. I used anti germs wipes, soap, Lysol, spry with alcohol, used an airtight globebox, and a sealed jar, no holes. (I pc it with loosy lid and foil layer and then just sealed it after transfer)

Do I have a chance?
How does contams look like?
Has anyone done this?

What you've described is theoretically possible, if as you say, your technique was obsessively sterile. Remember, all you're doing is transferring a clean piece of mycelium to a new medium.... as long as the mycelium is all you're transferring (no stow-aways) it should be fine. However, a cake/casing in the fruiting chamber has already been exposed to many contaminants... but if you dig deep enough into the substrate you might be able to find a "clean" area.

You've already done this though? correct?

If so, then it doesn't really matter what we say... just wait and see!

Give it 4 - 5 days in incubation conditions. You may get lucky.

Read the liquid teks for descriptions and pictures of what liquid contams look like. The best description of mycelium IMO is semen floating in water (sorry :smile:
Anything that's not white like se...mycelium, or not cottony fluff is a potential contam.

Edited by Shroomanton (01/19/05 05:31 PM)

OfflineShroomanton
Shrooman!
Re: KARO TEK [Re: candykid420]
    #3649464 - 01/19/05 04:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

candykid420 said:
after much reading, i still cant figure what the Karo tek is all about (whats the purpose?)

There are many purposes. I think the main purpose, with regards to people on this site, is getting the most out of a spore syringe/spore print.

Ie, 2 cc's of of 10cc spore syringe you've bought (even 1 cc) can colonize a 100 cc (or more) karo jar. So, you've made 50x more solution... for only 1/5th of your purchased spore syringe.

You can take this even further, and use 2 cc's of your colonized karo jar to colonize ANOTHER karo jar (usually this can be done to a maximum of 3 times) - all the while, keeping your original spore syringe (which still has 8 cc's) in long term cold storage (right next to the 50,000 karo jars you've made from the initial 2 cc's of spores)

However, you will eventually have to create new karo jars from spores... as the jars have a limited shelf/fridge life, and they can suffer from genetic drift/age (for lack of better words) after making subsequent generations of karo jars from the initial generation - do more reading on this for more info! - search for "senescence")

Also, another benefit, as you are inoculating with live mycelium as opposed to dormant spores, you speed up colonization time (as the spores do not have to rehydrate and "hatch")

Other benefits include ease of cloning and isolation.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates