Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

hahaha. this is great.
    #3636091 - 01/16/05 08:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

hilarious poll results at anti-gun site:

women against gun violence

wonder how long it is before they pull it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: hahaha. this is great. [Re: ]
    #3636102 - 01/16/05 08:49 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Women against gun violence that overwhelmingly agree with carrying concealed guns...this only solidifies my opinion that I will never understand women.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: hahaha. this is great. [Re: Rono]
    #3636128 - 01/16/05 08:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps there are more women out there than you thought who recognize the best way to avoid being violently victimized by someone with a gun is to point one at him.

pinky

--------------------

Anonymous

#3636139 - 01/16/05 08:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

to be absolutely fair, this poll was linked to on at least 2 very popular pro-gun message boards, including one dedicated entirely to concealed carry.

that *may* just be skewing the results a little.  :wink:

i just thought it was funny. they're probably throwing a fit over there.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3636147 - 01/16/05 09:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So how did you vote?

pinky

--------------------

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: hahaha. this is great. [Re: Phred]
    #3636222 - 01/16/05 09:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think a somewhat better questions is whether anyone should have the authority to stop a civilian from carrying a concealed weapon.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Anonymous

Re: hahaha. this is great. [Re: Phred]
    #3636446 - 01/16/05 10:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

how do you think?

Anonymous

Re: hahaha. this is great. [Re: cb9fl]
    #3636452 - 01/16/05 10:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think a somewhat better questions is whether anyone should have the authority to stop a civilian from carrying a concealed weapon.

it's the same question in reverse.

Offlinecb9fl
    #3638262 - 01/17/05 12:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Not exactly. The first question is asking whether it's correct for a citizen to carry a concealed weapon. I don't believe that is the right question. A more pertinent question is whether the government or anyone should have the authority, right or wrong, to stop a citizen from carrying a concealed weapon.

At least to me the first question might involve a sence of morality or personal ethics. Maybe I'm reading into it too much or reading it wrong but that's how I see it. In the same vein as should people be allowed to do cocaine or does the government have the authority to stop them. The first question could be answered as yes it has great potential and observed detrimental effects. The second question could be answered, it doesn't matter whether using cocaine is right or wrong the government shouldn't have the authority to stop a person from using it.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Anonymous

#3638354 - 01/17/05 12:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Not exactly. The first question is asking whether it's correct for a citizen to carry a concealed weapon.

read it again. it asks if private citizens should be allowed to carry concealed weapons. it's asking if they should be allowed, by some authority, to carry concealed weapons. you could reverse the question and ask if they be prohibited from carrying concealed weapons by such an authority.

it's the same question in reverse. i think you misread it. it's not asking whether it's "correct". it's asking if it should be allowed.

Offlinecb9fl
    #3638369 - 01/17/05 12:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

What about when I replaced "carry a concealed weapon" with "do cocaine".

Aren't these should people be allowed to do cocaine or does the government have the authority to stop them./ questions with two different meanings?

--------------------

Anonymous

#3638385 - 01/17/05 12:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

the state has the authority to prevent people from doing things they should not be permitted to do.

it lacks the authority to prevent people from doing things they should be permitted to do.

"should people be allowed to _____ ?" and "does the state have the authority to prevent people from _____ ?" are different ways of asking the same question.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3638386 - 01/17/05 12:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Seems to me that as long as what you are doing doesn't affect my rights and freedoms to do as I want, then what you do shouldn't be illegal.

I have no issue with you carrying a concealed weapon. If you pull the weapon out and threaten me with it, then we have problems. I have no issue with you doing cocaine. If you wreck your car into my home while high on cocaine, then we have problems (both with cocaine use and car use).

Why have preemtive illegalities on something to prevent people from doing something illegal? Worry about the person with the concealed weapon if/when they screw up and do something illegal with the concealed weapon. Until then, assume they are good, law abiding citizens... remember, innocent until proven guilty?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Anonymous

Re: hahaha. this is great. [Re: Seuss]
    #3638421 - 01/17/05 12:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

studies have shown that people who are legally permitted to carry firearms are more law-abiding than the general population. one example from texas:

# Licensees were 5.7 times less likely to be arrested for violent offenses than the general public - 127 per 100,000 population versus 730 per 100,000.

# Licensees were 14 times less likely to be arrested for nonviolent offenses than the general public - 386 per 100,000 population versus 5,212 per 100,000.

# Further, the general public is 1.4 times more likely to be arrested for murder than licensees [see Figure I], and no licensee had been arrested for negligent manslaughter.

http://www.ncpa.org/ba/ba324/ba324.html

and at the same time, they are preventing crime.

the whole "debate" about permitting concealed carry really seems like a no-brainer to me.

Offlinecb9fl
    #3638533 - 01/17/05 01:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think proving carrying a concealed weapon is beneficial to the community is important. Just as proving carrying a concealed weapon was detrimental to society shouldn't be an issue.

As Seuss said I think preemtive illegalities are wrong.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion