Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAlan Stone

Loc: Ten feet up
Work-related drug tests
    #3635820 - 01/16/05 07:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How do you feel about them? I, personally, have never gotten the point. What is the correlation between work and off-time drug use?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: Work-related drug tests [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3635976 - 01/16/05 08:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

While I don't agree with drug testing, I do understand the employer's train of thought.

Smoking Weed = Pothead
Pothead = Unreliable
Unreliable = Bad for Business

Thats just what they believe.

" If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions. But, laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barberous ancestors." - Thomas Jefferson

#3635997 - 01/16/05 08:19 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

most employers are worried about on-time drug use. they're also worried because drug users tend to commit more crimes, such as theft, than non-drug users. this is a problem for them. they also tend to get arrested, and become unavailable for work, more often than non-drug users. depending on what they are using, they may be less healthy and prone to absenteeism.

there are valid concerns and i think that people have every right to avoid hiring people who use drugs if they don't want to.

i feel that marijuana testing is a waste of money, because pot is pretty benign and remains traceable for as long as a month after it's been used. the other stuff on the test, like cocaine, opiates, and amphetamines are a bit more serious and if you test positive for them, it means you've been using very recently. i find it perfectly reasonable that employers might want to screen out cokeheads, meth freaks, and junkies from their pool of candidates.

Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Work-related drug tests [Re: ]
    #3636042 - 01/16/05 08:31 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i agree. what's ridiculous is when its some entry level job where they hire college-age students and test for weed.

Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #3636068 - 01/16/05 08:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

AFAIK..no investment in drug testing has ever turned a profit that could be conclusively linked to the drug testing...it may have some effectiveness in terms of intimidating workers..but that doesnt necessarily make them more productive...

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Re: Work-related drug tests [Re: Annapurna1]
    #3636132 - 01/16/05 08:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

if you owned a business, would you want to hire a meth addict?

just as you've got a right to choose what you put in your body, other people have a right to choose who they hire. not only do they have a right to do it, but in some circumstances, it's very reasonable if you think about it.

and if you think that intimidation of workers is an accepted or effective way of getting them to be more productive in today's businesses, you've got quite another thing coming. the science of business management has learned quite a bit since the 1800's.

Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3636992 - 01/17/05 12:16 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The very act of using, purchasing and possessing drugs is illegal. Some positions could see this as undesirable, even if the actual use is not.

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Work-related drug tests [Re: ]
    #3637851 - 01/17/05 07:56 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe we should install tracking devices onto our employees cars to make sure they obey all traffic laws.

I don't want to hire employees with unsafe habbits. An unsafe driver on the road is an unsafe employee in my work space.

I have a right to know.

Also, they have to show me all their penises.

No coloreds.

Vote Libertarian!!

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Work-related drug tests [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3639445 - 01/17/05 04:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Also, they have to show me all their penises.

You need help my friend.

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion