Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
Over misting or undermisting?? Or too much heat?
    #3629144 - 01/14/05 04:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I had a nice case that just started to pin, this morning I lysoled my teranium (a rubbermiad container) put my humidity source in and added my heat, I came home from work today and I noticed all my pins are now looking like aborts. Luckily I know there will be more comming but now I'm concerned, they looked healthy this morning I misted them and the heat source wasn't too drastic.

Would reminence of the lysol killed the pins?
Would this opccur is i misted them too much??
The temperature is still under 80oC
Would this likely be over or under misting?

Please help while I still have more to save.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Over misting or undermisting?? Or too much heat? [Re: nambi]
    #3629154 - 01/14/05 04:16 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

what is your misting technique?

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: Over misting or undermisting?? Or too much heat? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3629159 - 01/14/05 04:16 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I misted Directly onto the case. no special technique

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
Re: Over misting or undermisting?? Or too much heat? [Re: nambi]
    #3629162 - 01/14/05 04:17 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I have seen Lysol cause mutations...I suppose it is possible that universal pin abort like that is due to the Lysol..but it also depends how long you let the container sit before you threw you cases in there...was Lysol still floating around, airborne? If so then yah, your pin death was likely caused by that...expect possible mutations if any of those pins survived, or any that were not completely formed...

Keep us updated

Also, over misting directly on to the pins is a good way to abort. Proper water content leading up to pinning is very crucial because it is hard to mist pins without hurting them...that's why misting is usually applied after the pins have started to develop, and why a casing layer is so crucial to their success.

In the future, place your spray bottle pointed directly at your casing, but then rotate it so it is pointing up in the air. Spray and allow water to decend on to casing...that will make a big difference.

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Edited by ADoobie (01/14/05 04:20 PM)

InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Over misting or undermisting?? Or too much heat? [Re: ADoobie]
    #3629189 - 01/14/05 04:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Did you let the lysol dry out completely or did you put your casing in immediately after spraying?

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Over misting or undermisting?? Or too much heat? [Re: KlingonFromUranus]
    #3629213 - 01/14/05 04:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

yeah my guess would be the misting. just mist about 2 feet above the fruiting chamber let it drizzle onto the cakes and youll be good

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinekiss
numbnuts
 User Gallery

Loc: under your bed
Re: Over misting or undermisting?? Or too much heat? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3629328 - 01/14/05 05:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I vote for the Lysol. I've never used it in any of my tubs in the past. Always stuck with a simple wiping things down with alcohol.
Since i've come back to the shroomery, I've read countless posts about the use of lysol now, and the problems that it seems to be causing. Years back nobody ever used the stuff...now it's everywhere!
What gives?
Anyway...at least you can narrow it down now with either of the above mentioned....lysol/misting.
Good luck on the second go round!

--------------------
see dick drink
see dick drive
see dick die
don't be a dick!

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Over misting or undermisting?? Or too much heat? [Re: kiss]
    #3629492 - 01/14/05 06:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

If you must use lysol for sanitaion on the walls...
1. Wipe moisture off walls with a paper-towel.
2. Spray lysol on a paper-towel, and wipe walls with the towel.
3. Wipe moisture off walls with a paper-towel again.

Alcohol is better, but only do step 1 and 2, and replace the word lysol with alcohol.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Over misting or undermisting?? Or too much heat? [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3629505 - 01/14/05 06:11 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I would actually suggest that you...
1. Buy all of your fruiting chambers at once.
2. Buy one extra fruiting chamber.
3. Set your fruiting chamber so the product sits on the lid, container is upside-down.
4. Raise the lid off the floor of your shelf with two 2X4s running length wise.
5. Have your humidity hoses come up through the lid, in the upside-down container.
6. When it comes time to "Clean", just throw your "Extra", "Clean" cover onto your fruiting goods.
7. Wash/sterilize/dry the container that you just removed. This will now be your "Extra" cotainer.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/16/05 12:36 PM)

Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
    #3630250 - 01/15/05 06:03 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm voting for the lysol too, I probably didn't let the lysol evaporate long enough, before I put the case in, I just hope I didn't ruin the whole case case this one was looking good.

Thanks for the input.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3630251 - 01/15/05 06:08 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

misting should be done above the casings. spray the air above the casings and let the ensuing mist fall on the casings... don't directly mist, especially with pins. i don't mist when pins have appeared... if your casing's moisture content is good, it should be enough to carry the casing through the flush.

i wouldn't really worry about them all aborting. sometimes pins look like they've aborted, only to continue (sometimes rapid) growth in a few days. just keep an eye out.

don't use lysol. for anything. i made the mistake before only to get a few mutants from it. i use alcohol to sterilize, and bleach to clean out my chamber between flushes when i don't have anything in there.

hyphae, agar, someone... i know you have something to say. please do.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Over misting or undermisting?? Or too much heat? [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3768909 - 02/11/05 09:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Many pins wait until the second, third and so on to "bolt" and become a flush. Thats your initial pinset guys you don't reinitiate pinning for each flush plain and simple. Pinning will continue as long as the crop stays healthy. You got it Zero :thumbup:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix