Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Why I stopped coming to S&P a lot
    #3629519 - 01/14/05 08:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Most of you guys are so much smarter than me on these subjects, I feel pretty dumb sometimes .. especially when I read Markos posts :yesnod: But also because I just hit a dead end.. I consider myself spiritual, but I feel like at this time in my life trying to deepen my already clarified beliefs could lead to more trouble.. I question everything, but when you are satisfied with just being a good person and having faith in the unknown, how much further can you go? Anyone else get to the point they no longer want to learn and advance spiritually? I know it is probably bad, and I hope it blows over.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Why I stopped coming to S&P a lot [Re: 2Experimental]
    #3629952 - 01/15/05 03:33 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

2Experimental said:
Most of you guys are so much smarter than me on these subjects, I feel pretty dumb sometimes .. especially when I read Markos posts :yesnod:

I feel the same way that people are smarter then me, but only on certain subjects.  We each of us have a lot of knowledge on different subjects.  I would hate to think I would not get to hear your side of the story just because you weren't educated like Markos.  I imagine that Markos feels the same way.

I am educated.  But I don't know a lot.  I know a lot about the field in which I am educated, but I am not educated in Markos' field, or in anyone else's field.  That doesn't negate anything I add to this forum, nor does it negate anything you add.

Quote:

But also because I just hit a dead end.. I consider myself spiritual, but I feel like at this time in my life trying to deepen my already clarified beliefs could lead to more trouble.. I question everything, but when you are satisfied with just being a good person and having faith in the unknown, how much further can you go? Anyone else get to the point they no longer want to learn and advance spiritually? I know it is probably bad, and I hope it blows over.

When you stop learning, you stop learning.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflinePeyoteZen
Save The Republic
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Again!
    #3630003 - 01/15/05 04:13 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I feel the same way at times.  Its healthy i think.
Reminds of the qoute "Life is not a mystery to be solved, but a reality to be experienced"

Also some nutty scientist dude in the "what the bleep to we know" movie... he says "Don't be in the know! Be in the mystery"  haha it cracked me up...but hes right  :oogle:

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Why I stopped coming to S&P a lot [Re: PeyoteZen]
    #3630197 - 01/15/05 06:35 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

most knowledge is fake (a crusty residue from previous experience, at best a road map towards realizations...)

you already know that everything is constantly changing and that seeking to understand this is very spiritual

do continue to pour more energy into it rather than clamming up now or stopping if someone "knows more" than you do about some previously codified insights. (many will collect these crusty nuggets as ammunition in defense of their own insecurity which is really a mixed up alternative)

I like frog's disposition towards unlearning (maybe I am wrong about her maturity on that) - I highly reccommend unlearning as opposed to aquisition of crusts. Not just unlearning, but reconfiguring one's self so that it is not a dumb thing but an opening up, in contrast to the kind of learning that closes you up.

spiritual people actually share the realization that insights are accessible and new. they are newer and fresher than getting a brand new special toy.

insight occurs when you orient towards the wonder ...

Edited by redgreenvines (01/15/05 06:39 AM)

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #3630248 - 01/15/05 07:57 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Fortunaltly spirituality doesn depend on intelligence or the ability to hold information in your mind. Im sure you are very intelligent, and if others seem more inteligent than you its probably becuase of their inflated sense of self, that has been bulit up from gross intellectualizations!

You seem to have a good heart, and most probably dont need to go into detail about much. In my religion a simple outlook on spiritual matters is always more beneficial than some inflated complicated philosophies. The simple teachings are the heart essence of the spiritual path, and most complicated creatures find it most difficult to understand these teachings.

This is why their are complicated philosophies, to suit complicated minds. Never consider yourself as lower than those who like to preach from high levels of the intelect. Usually those who claim to be practising the higher, more esoteric mystical paths are more lost and have more problems understanding the essence of the teaching than somebody like youself.

In fact in my religion, you would be seen to have a supeiror capacity for understanding than most, as simplcity is the key. Do not go out to complicated matters, your view at the moment seems pretty pure, please dont taint it with the complications of others!

As my teacher says 'Why go out into the inextricable jungle of complications when what you seek is already right at home in your heart'

i hope this helps!

--------------------

Edited by Sinbad (01/15/05 08:07 AM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Why I stopped coming to S&P a lot [Re: Sinbad]
    #3630320 - 01/15/05 09:21 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

"you must be "lost" before you are "found"."
-Jesus :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Why I stopped coming to S&P a lot [Re: Gomp]
    #3630326 - 01/15/05 09:24 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Of course, but how long you remain lost is totally up to you!

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #3630720 - 01/15/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:I would hate to think I would not get to hear your side of the story just because you weren't educated like Markos.

I see what you mean.. I guess we can all add something from time to time :yesnod: But I am better of just lurking here, soaking in things....

Quote:

Sinbad said: This is why there is complicated philosophies, to suit complicated minds. Never consider yourself as lower than those who like to preach from high levels of the intelect.

Ah yes, good statement! But in honesty, when someone is more intellectual than you, you are lower than them, in a sense.. I guess I can pretend otherwise though ehh?

Quote:

sinbad said:In fact in my religion, you would be seen to have a superior capacity for understanding than most, as simplicity is the key. Do not go out to complicated matters, your view at the moment seems pretty pure, please don't taint it with the complications of others!

Ah, you know how to say the right stuff :lol: I see what you mean man... Simplicity is good I guess, but I don't think I should forever be content with my current views. Once I started college all the free time and free thinking I did spiritually came to a slow halt...But I feel like I am not done yet learning(spiritually) and that if I stay where I am forever I might miss something important... like enlightenment maybe

Quote:

i hope this helps!

YES! And thanks to all others who posted as well

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

#3630777 - 01/15/05 01:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If someone is more intelligent, that just means they have more of an ability to retain information. This does not make them any higher than you. Read my post on 'Higher and Lower distinctions' and you will undertsnad what im saying!

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Why I stopped coming to S&P a lot [Re: 2Experimental] * 1
    #3631058 - 01/15/05 02:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Dude...I've been an adjunct professor of personality theory and human development teaching graduate school. I've taught undergraduate courses, substitute teacher in Hatha Yoga in 1974. I'm 51 and 1/2 years old and a dyed-in-the-wool intellectual. BUT...I'm not an Elaine Pagels or a Bart Ehrman - both Princeton professors of theology and both well-published. My Lady and I woke up last night at 3:00 AM, couldn't sleep, and listened to a CD by Ehrman on 'Lost Christianities' that came in the mail yesterday - at 3 AM! Number one, these people blow me away. They are MY teachers. Number two, what kind of people listen to CD's on ancient Christianity and Gnosticism in the middle of the night? We're unusual.

Please do not compare yourself to me or anyone else in life. It is ALL relative. We all have our 'better' and 'lesser' acquaintances in terms of education, intelligence, beauty, breeding, physical strength, sexual prowess, wealth, etc., etc., etc. I am here because I am what I like to call an 'Entheogenic Enthusiast,' because entheogen-users will get it, most folk will not. In other words, I'm an aging hippy who has used psychedelics for a very long time, who has been transformed by their use and because of my intellectual nature, selected disciplines to help me understand and communicate the Experience. That's right...my whole adult life has been about unfolding the effects of The Psychedelic Experience to myself and others. So, if I use philosophy, theology and psychology to explain things, it's because from the age of 19 to 29 I went to school for those things. I was poor til my 40's. I've spent my life practicing this game. If you want to make the same kinds of sacrifices for the same game, please go right ahead. If I'm ahead of you, ask me for help - I'm a counselor and an educator. I'm not in competition with anyone. I have my teachers, and you have your's. Sometimes our teachers learn from us. I used to give LSD and BE HERE NOW books to my college profs.

Last night on the show Enterprise, Doctor Flox commended the [Hot] Vulcan science officer T'Pol on questioning the fundamental beliefs she held about what it meant to be Vulcan. You see, this spiritual trip is not all sweetness, bliss and light. It takes one to "dead ends," to 'no exit' situations which are private hells. A scorpion trapped in a ring of fire will sting itself to death from frustration. Don't be like that. The scorpion doesn't have the insight for patience - you do. And while you're waiting, ask people questions about Real angst in your life. Nobody's laughing at anyone around here, that I can hear. I've got a newsflash for you...I am very easy to be around, but men and women find me intimidating. Not physically - I'm not a large man. A rather wild, female Black stripper-turned-English-teacher friend of our's asked my Lady about me: "How do you live with this guy?" Now mind you, this girlfriend takes people over to meet us, she has tripped (1st time) with us, she always says that she loves hanging with us 'cause she learns so much during the visits, but she still feels intimidated by me. This isn't something I'm bragging about. I heard this from a former co-worker who stood six and a half feet tall and definately over 300 lbs. I was like, "WHAT?!" Should I just keep my mouth shut or learn to talk about sports? I'd definately have more friends around. Talking and writing and reading about this stuff is NOT what it's all about anyway. As BE HERE NOW put it: "Painted Cakes Do Not Satisfy Hunger."

I'm sorry that you feel somewhat despairing at this point, and if it would be helpful, feel free to PM me if you have personal questions about me or you.

Peace be with you.
-MtG

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Why I stopped coming to S&P a lot *DELETED* [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3631246 - 01/15/05 03:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by Sinbad

Reason for deletion: Sorry

--------------------

Edited by Sinbad (01/15/05 03:37 PM)

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3631268 - 01/15/05 03:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

um sinbad,

his reply was to 2experimental

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3631300 - 01/15/05 03:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Sinbad!...No. Never mind. Thank you gettinjiggywithit.

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Why I stopped coming to S&P a lot [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3631331 - 01/15/05 03:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry about the confusion  :blush:. Im going to crawl back into my hole and die now :grin:

My bad Gnostic! ill delete the post ASAP

Guess my ego got the better of me  :blush:

--------------------

Edited by Sinbad (01/15/05 04:07 PM)

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Why I stopped coming to S&P a lot [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3631348 - 01/15/05 04:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the reply Markos,

I really appretiate people like you and Frog, especially with private matters via PM and things like this thread.... I am sure I will have some more questions soon.. I am thankful for all the help ya'll give.. don't ever leave this community , what would I do!!

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3632621 - 01/15/05 09:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Remember, no matter who you are there will ALWAYS be someone smarter than you, better looking, etc. And yes, for all his encyclopedic knowledge there is someone more learned than Markos!

One day there will be a knock at Markos' door. Markos opens the door to face an incredibly old, robed man with a white beard hanging down to his ankles. The weight of the years hangs heavily upon him and his shoulders are hunched from years of studying theological texts. In his hands is a very old leather bound book, its pages yellowed and crumbling with age. There is a long pause as the old man struggles to speak.

One glance down at the tome tells Markos all he needs to know. His chests swells as he says, "I see you have brought me the lost 80 A.D. Mertos Manuscript, no doubt for me to translate and interpret for you." The old man's brow furrows and a look of positive menace emanates from his wizened eyes.

"Wrong. I wrote this book, bitch!"

With a surprising display of strength the old man slams the ancient tome into Markos' chest, flattening him against the far wall! From the floor and through the surrounding dust cloud Markos can only watch as the old man walks with the book to the curb. The screech of brakes can be heard as a black limo pulls up. The last glimpse Markos catches before he loses consciousness is that of the old man climbing into the limo with several scantily clad young women at his side.

The End.

Don't sell yourself short!  :wink:

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Edited by Jellric (01/15/05 11:17 PM)

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #3632763 - 01/15/05 10:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

thanks for the reply Markos,

I really appretiate people like you and Frog, especially with private matters via PM and things like this thread.... I am sure I will have some more questions soon.. I am thankful for all the help ya'll give.. don't ever leave this community , what would I do!! 

We could ALL learn from your humility, I have.
Thank you,
WR :wexican:

--------------------
To old for this place

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Why I stopped coming to S&P a lot [Re: Jellric]
    #3632977 - 01/15/05 10:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Jellric said:
Remember, no matter who you are there will ALWAYS be someone smarter than you, better looking, etc. And yes, for all his encyclopedic knowledge there is someone more learned than Markos!

One day there will be a knock at Markos' door. Markos opens the door to face an incredibly old, robed man with a white beard hanging down to his ankles. The weight of the years hangs heavily upon him and his shoulders are hunched from years of studying theological texts. In his hands is a very old leather bound book, its pages yellowed and crumbling with age. There is a long pause as the old man struggles to speak.

One glance down at the tome tells Markos all he needs to know. His chests swells as he says, "I see you have brought me the lost 80 A.D. Mertos Manuscript, no doubt for me to translate and interpret for you." The old man's brow furrows and a look of positive menace emanates from his wizened eyes. "No, I wrote this book, bitch!"

With a surprising display of strength the old man swings the ancient tome into Markos' chest, flattening him against the far wall! From the floor and through the surrounding dust cloud Markos watches as the old man walks with the book to the curb. The screech of brakes can be heard as a black limo pulls up. The last glimpse Markos catches before he loses consciousness is that of the old man climbing into the limo with several attractive young women at his side.

The End.

Don't sell yourself short!  :wink:

:whoa: :spliff: :lol: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

marvelous, That was great- a bard no doubt

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3633015 - 01/15/05 11:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

when someone is more intellectual than you, you are lower than them, in a sense..

no, just less intellectual

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3634591 - 01/16/05 12:24 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

the reason i stopped hanging around much is that i.... just dont seem to care about any of the topics anymore. i have my own oppinion, other people have theres, sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree.

All that matters is that we LIVE, to the fullest. as soon as S & P stops contributing to that goal, its deadwood.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction. This poster is no longer active.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology