Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

What did I do wrong?
    #362772 - 07/29/01 12:45 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Ok guys, one week after innoculation over half of my jars started breaking out in this dark orange contamination at the innoculation sites. I've never seen this stuff before in my life, I've always had the green/black stuff before. There isn't one specific spot where it started, it seemed to cascade down the rice just like the spore solution did when I injected it into the jar. Here's the tek I used...

Vermiculite is impossible to find here lately, so I used brown rice in a loose interpretation of the 9er tek (with no verm available, I didn't get to put the dry verm layer over the rice) to innoculate 18 1/2 pint jars. They were pressure cooked for 30 min, with industrial grade masking tape over the holes in the lids.

Using the oven tek for sterility, I carefully innoculated the jars by lifing up on the tape over the holes, sliding the needle through and squirting in some solution. I even flamed the needle every other time or so to make sure it was clean.

The only thing that seemed a little weird at the time was a reddish/brown liquid that formed directly underneath the masking tape. It seemed to be a by product of the tape being pressure cooked, and I can see no way of avoiding this...unless I use a dry verm layer/ramsey seal to keep that stuff out.

I doubt the syringes were bad, and I know it wasn't something from my hands or the air (washed hands in alcohol, used the oven tek)....what the hell happened? This contam seems to have popped out of nowhere.

Should I order some kind of strain that starts mycelium growth faster (cambodian), or use my last four cc's of Ecuadors to try growing liquid mycelium and then using that to innoculate more jars?

I've never had this sudden, strange contam before. I need advice! Thanks guys

Grover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: What did I do wrong? [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #362806 - 07/29/01 02:23 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

You really need that verm layer. Aside from that, it could have been your inoculate. I've seen the orange before and it came from bad syringes, but without the vermiculite your jars are likely to contaminate anywho.
Me? I'd order fresh syringes.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: What did I do wrong? [Re: puscle]
    #362835 - 07/29/01 04:57 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

and flame the needle between each jar...

www.shaman-australis.com/shroom/

--------------------

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
    #362860 - 07/29/01 07:50 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

ff.. sounds like it's just rust to me. ride it out and see what happens man.

Shredded wheat straw and/or coir fibre might work in the place of vermiculite. You'll have to play around to get the moisture content right.

The day I tried to live; I stole a thousand beggar's change and gave it to the rich.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

OfflineNUKINFUTZ
Stranger
    #362866 - 07/29/01 08:00 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

did you make your own syringes? you can take any sterile precaution you want, but if your spore water is not clean, or even the spores used for that matter, then you will run into disaster

Anonymous

Re: What did I do wrong? *DELETED* [Re: NUKINFUTZ]
    #362906 - 07/29/01 09:22 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by bluhoney

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: What did I do wrong? [Re: ]
    #362937 - 07/29/01 10:22 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

> I've seen that orange contam before, it's pretty!

Oh, very authoritative..

> You really should try to get some verm. As a last resort, you can order some from the SporeLab.

Spammer!!

The day I tried to live; I stole a thousand beggar's change and gave it to the rich.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: What did I do wrong? [Re: egghead]
    #362998 - 07/29/01 12:33 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

All right guys, thanks for the ideas.

NUKINFUTZ: I ordered the syringes from Ryche Hawk, and therefore I'd very surprised if they were contaminated. I sent him an email seeing about his $3 replacement policy, asking if I could get another strain instead of Ecu. I'm sure ecuadors are awesome, but I hate having to wait a week for the first signs of growth....every passing day means something is more likely to go wrong.

From what I can tell, 12 hours later, the 'contams' haven't spread at all yet. A few jars have these 'contams' above the rice ball, on the glass, and they look drier and brighter than the slimier ones at the innoculation sites. What's the possibility I picked up some metal from the lid, pushed it into the grain, and it took about a week for it to start rusting?

Contams that I have seen before usually have noticeable growth in 12 hour intervals (ie a lot faster than mycelium), but this may be bacteria or something that behaves differently.

If this does turn out to be a disaster, I was wondering about two options:

1) If I can get one good cake, slice it up, bath the chunks in diluted h202, then place them on top of re-sterilized jars.

2) What mediums are available for making liquid mycelium? There's several teks here at the shroomery, but most of them require something that'd be hard to get around here (from a home brewing place, which I don't have locally).

Thanks again guys
Grover

"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #363015 - 07/29/01 01:26 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Try searching for honey-water. I'm guessing you can get some honey, right?

D D Island

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: What did I do wrong? [Re: BrownPastures]
    #363245 - 07/29/01 10:05 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Its been confirmed, contam. I smelled a few jars and they had that sour smell to them. ARGHHH!!!

I was damn careful innoculating these jars, what the hell happened?

Grover

--------------------

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

#363298 - 07/29/01 11:43 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I'm starting to wonder if I really got a bad pair of syringes. Every single one of my jars has a sour smell to it and orange stuff sprouting up all over the innoculation site.

I sent Ryche an email, explaining the situation but saying (to be polite) that for all I know I did something wrong...but every single jar? He has a $3 replacement policy, so it would only cost me $11 to get them back. What do you guys think?

It was batch 39, anyone else had any problems?

Grover

--------------------

OfflineShroomyZ
journeyman

Loc: D/FW, Tx
    #363311 - 07/30/01 12:06 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

here a honey water liquid mycelium tek by AMD and all the materials are easily accesiable(SP i think)

Materials :
1/2 pint wide mouth jar
bottled water
1 tsp honey
saran wrap
rubber band
masking tape
microwave oven
2 cup microwave safe measuring cup
Sterile spore syringe
Disinfectant such as Lysol or bleach water in a spray bottle
Pot holder or oven mitt
Procedure :
Have all materials at hand so you can work quickly.
Put about 1 1/8 cups water in the measuring cup.
Add about 1 tsp honey to the water and stir until dissolved.
Place the cup and the half-pint jar in the microwave.
Fry on high for five minutes
Open the microwave do not remove the cup and jar.
Working quickly within the microwave and using the potholder to protect your hand, pour water into the jar to about the bottom of the threads. Stretch saran wrap over the top of the jar and secure with a rubber band.
Let cool to room temperature.
Clean a working surface such as a table with a disinfectant such as Lysol or bleach water.
Mist the surrounding air with the disinfectant.
Working quickly inoculate the jar through the saran wrap with a sterile spore syringe using about 2 cc and cover hole with masking tape.
Incubate at 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once the mycelium has grown, shake to distribute the mycelium, and poke thru the saran wrap with a sterile syringe and suck up the white mycelium, cover the hole with tape and save for further use.

h-a-l-l-u-c-i-n-o-g-e-n-i-c = "True World"

OfflineL3D
enthusiast
Re: What did I do wrong? [Re: ShroomyZ]
    #363622 - 07/30/01 02:23 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I highly recomend the honey tek above.
You will see contams before innoculateing your jars and your jars will colonize faster.

L3D

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom