Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Agar, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
3M Petrifilms
    #3628880 - 01/14/05 04:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I use these a lot at work.  they make a few different kinds, mostly for testing food products and production facilities for common bacterial pathogens.  but they have one that's used to do yeast/mold counts.  i figured I'd inoculate one of them with some cubie spores and see what happened.  turns out  it works pretty well, there was definite growth within a week, here's the plate at 11 days, room temp.

it's a little greenish because of the dyes, but it appears pretty healthy.  I'm not sure how much these cost or how easy they are to purchase, but they come in sleeves of 50. you just take them out, lift up the plastic cover, add 1 ml of buffer solution (pretty sure dH20 would work too, but I haven't tried it yet) and spread it out with the plastic spreader that comes with the films.  then let it sit for a minute and gel, lift the plastic again and streak your spores.  no pressure cooking or anything needed.  the cards have antibiotics to kill bacteria, might be a good way to get cultures off of poorly taken prints...  or even just to start spores with before going to peroxide agar or something.  I haven't tried transferring any of the mycelia from it. I figure one could just lift up the plastic and peel the gel it's growing in from the card, then transfer it to whatever. 

I think it's pretty cool and thought people here might be interested.  it's a lot easier than cooking up agar and pouring a bunch of plates :smile:.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/_s.15...=AbcPageHandler

DH

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline_Lucid_
journeyman
 User Gallery

Loc: no-mans land
Re: 3M Petrifilms [Re: spores]
    #3628924 - 01/14/05 05:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

yes, that is quite interesting, please, try to inoculate some grain with it and keep us posted if you would not mind... do you think they would work well with inoculating with a piece of mycelium as well, or are they best with just spores?

--------------------
The believer is happy, the doubter is wise
- Hungarian proverb

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: 3M Petrifilms [Re: spores]
    #3640629 - 01/17/05 09:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

very cool!

definitely let me know how the rest of the project pans out, I would be interested in trying this instead of dealing with messy agar!

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 3M Petrifilms [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3643085 - 01/18/05 01:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

uhm i somehow dont really get the idea behind this stuff.

i read the 3m page and seems as if you take that 'paper',
peel of the top layer and got a sterile media that mold or whatever culture
can grow on .. is this correct?

if so, what about the backside, that wouldnt be sterile would it?

and how would you 'cover' this sheet, by placing a dish above it to
prevent stuff from falling onto it?
enlighten the foolish one :wink:
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: 3M Petrifilms [Re: ohmatic]
    #3658671 - 01/21/05 04:05 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ohmatic said:
..seems as if you take that 'paper',
peel of the top layer and got a sterile media that mold or whatever culture
can grow on .. is this correct?

yes, the top layer of plastic is attached to the card at the top and free at the bottom, you don't pull the whole thing off, just lift, inoculate or add buffer and put the plastic back down.

Quote:

ohmatic said:
what about the backside, that wouldnt be sterile would it?

the back of what? the card? it's just paper, the back isn't coated with media. if you mean the back of the plastic sheet, that isn't usually exposed to air long enough to pick up any contams. I don't use a flow hood with them at work or anything, just do everything in the open air in a relatively clean room and really never have any problems with contamination.

Quote:

ohmatic said:
and how would you 'cover' this sheet, by placing a dish above it to prevent stuff from falling onto it?

the plastic film does that.

I never did anything with the plate and I think it's dried out by now, should have kept it in a baggie or something. I got a few more to play with though, I'll let ya'll know if I get anything transferred to another substrate from them.

DH

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Agar, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology