Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: deafpanda]
    #3623408 - 01/13/05 01:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

deafpanda said:
All that there is here now is posts linking to articles without any real comment apart from a few snide jabs.

Then how about doing something about it?...Let's see your contribution, not your critisism

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: Redstorm]
    #3623444 - 01/13/05 01:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I bet they'd be upset if we left and took our portion of their aid with us.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: 1stimer]
    #3623450 - 01/13/05 01:18 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

1stimer said:
This forum has gone to shit, thats what.

Yes. However, I do not put any blame on the admins. I guess Swami's banning changed alot of standards in how people may or may not respond to someone's ideas/beliefs. I'll have to watch myself from now on.

--------------------

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: Rono]
    #3623615 - 01/13/05 02:02 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Then how about doing something about it?...Let's see your contribution, not your critisism
Quote:

Look at the threads in the first page. Read them. It's not worth it, at the moment. Some of it is funny, but no-one's really serious here. Which is OK, I'm not really complaining, I'm just saying there is close to no debate here right now.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: deafpanda]
    #3623824 - 01/13/05 02:59 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

deafpanda writes:

"Look at the threads in the first page. Read them. It's not worth it, at the moment. Some of it is funny, but no-one's really serious here. Which is OK, I'm not really complaining, I'm just saying there is close to no debate here right now."

I don't know about you, but I have my preferences set to display twenty posts per page. So the first page consists of (for me) sixteen current posts and four stickied posts. Of the sixteen I'm looking at now, there are :

-- two dealing with the US's decision to suspend the search for WMD stockpiles in Iraq,
-- one (this one) dealing with a corrupt government's (Indonesia's) wish to have foreigners assisting their people out of the country before their kleptocracy is exposed to world attention,
-- one on the FAA's ridiculously ineffective way of identifying potential terrorists looking to board US aircraft,
-- one on the downside of reducing the burning of fossil fuels,
-- one on the wisdom (or lack thereof) of the Confederate army's tactics in a key battle in a conflict which changed the face of US national identity forever,
-- one on the penalties of drug trafficking in Muslim countries
-- one on the implications of judicial approval of warrantless surveillance by American police,
-- one on a court ruling showing sentencing guidelines have been misapplied for years.

That's nine out of sixteen posts addressing issues of politics, activism and law.

To that we could add Annapurna1's post on the ludicrous rationalization for spending more taxpayer money on going to the moon to presumably harvest Helium 3 for use in fusion-generated power, and the recent turn that 'The Upcoming Shock" has taken (at Phluck's instigation) into a discussion on whether or not current Black American culture stifles educational opportunities.

That makes nine solid discussions, two with potential, and five where people are more or less posting for shits and giggles.

I've seen worse days here.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: Phred]
    #3624432 - 01/13/05 05:16 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Right after the tsunami wrecked Indonesia, people in this forum bitched that the USA didn't contribute enough money. Now people bitch that we shouldn't be there.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3624447 - 01/13/05 05:19 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I don't see anyone on this forum bitching about the US's assistance in the disaster.

--------------------

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3624455 - 01/13/05 05:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zahudulallah said:
I don't see anyone on this forum bitching about the US's assistance in the disaster.

Then go back and read the thread again.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3624512 - 01/13/05 05:32 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well, whatever. If someone disagrees with disaster aid then they need to rethink their positions.

--------------------

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: JacquesSauniere]
    #3624523 - 01/13/05 05:35 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

There were other posts in this forum insisting that the USA stay out of everyone else's business.

Quote:

JacquesSauniere said:
you're right mushmonkey, you yanks dont seem to be able to do anything right lately, so how about you just stop interferring in other people's countries, even stop giving aid, if they dont want your help then thats better for the yanks innit? less cost

Edited by Great_Satan (01/13/05 05:36 PM)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3624700 - 01/13/05 06:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Whoops. Double post.

Edited by RandalFlagg (01/13/05 06:27 PM)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3624706 - 01/13/05 06:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

That makes nine solid discussions, two with potential, and five where people are more or less posting for shits and giggles.

I've seen worse days here.

Hey, what about my post that told the story of the police officer who ate the bomb sniffing dog? That story dealt with two law enforcement members. It's just that one ate the other.

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3627368 - 01/14/05 04:12 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

(this was in response to mushmonkey)

Quote:

"Pay them a fair wage for making the West's sports gear (and their oil) ...they might be able to look after themselves then and pride as well as attempts at self sufficiency might not be such an issue. "

That is something for THEM to do.

If they want minimum wage laws in their country -- THEY CAN MAKE THEM! Those in power can, at least. That's a shitton more than I can do. It's not my place to create laws in other countries.

Hey dude - You're taking this a bit personally...I'm not asking you yourself to pay Indonesians more money or campaign for it or anything like that.

Funny thing is the gus at Nike and Adidas who charge like $100-?100 and double that per pair of shoes that they pay a few dollars to get made means the owners of those companies are making a killing - quite literally. Meanwhile the sweatshop workers are getting stuffed and so are the western consumers to be fair. The execs are laughing long and hard though.

It is nigh on impossible for Indonesia to set a minimum wage because they are desperate - and the big corporations know this.

Countries that hit the technology development front line behind others are always stuck this way. It is impossible for them to get on their feet without help, or at least understanding and compassion.

They have no money so they can't make the equipment to drill their own oil reserves...but they have needs and so as needs must they get stuffed for the sake of survival.

They must make the sportsgear for the same reason...because they have precious little option.

Starve....or nearly starve, but survive.

Without decency in business, and humanity, it will always be this way.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#3627670 - 01/14/05 08:24 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

sure if american were to leave indonesia straight away with all its troops no one will really complain,

OOhohhoh yes they would.

Check up on all the times Germany, Korea, Japan, and hell.. any other country.. has complained about US bases inside their boarders.
The US comments that they may be pulling out, and removing their base.
That country then throws a stink.. and our troops stay there.

Quote:

You could choose to make purchaces only from businesses who paid them a "living wage". That would be better than them passing some restrictive law that would probably be cutting their own throats.

heh... and i counter with it being too impossible to investigate every single product one purchases. Made in China? Ok.. now to just give that factory a call and ask what they pay, and then give some random Chinese in the area a call and ask them what they would consider a 'living wage'.

If you live in let's say NYC, your cost of living is going to be astronomically higher than if you were living in bumfuck, 3rd-World.
I personally have no idea even within THIS country all the ins and outs of different regions.. let alone what is poor, comfortable, or wealthy in another country. I cannot decide for them what a living wage is.

Quote:

They have no money so they can't make the equipment to drill their own oil reserves...but they have needs and so as needs must they get stuffed for the sake of survival.

They must make the sportsgear for the same reason...because they have precious little option.

Who says every country must be an industrialized country? Who says those oil reserves must be drilled?

It's a sham, neither of those things are a neccessity. I'm fairly sure that humans existed for thousands of years all over this planet without having to work in a Nike sweatshop or sell their souls to get some rigs to pump out oil.

Quote:

Funny thing is the gus at Nike and Adidas who charge like $100-?100 and double that per pair of shoes that they pay a few dollars to get made means the owners of those companies are making a killing - quite literally. Meanwhile the sweatshop workers are getting stuffed and so are the western consumers to be fair. The execs are laughing long and hard though.

Well.. yeah. I don't think you could really find too many people to support the bloated and excessive reach-arounds that execs give themselves and eachother.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#3627673 - 01/14/05 08:25 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

sure if american were to leave indonesia straight away with all its troops no one will really complain,

OOhohhoh yes they would.

Check up on all the times Germany, Korea, Japan, and hell.. any other country.. has complained about US bases inside their boarders.

Quote:

You could choose to make purchaces only from businesses who paid them a "living wage". That would be better than them passing some restrictive law that would probably be cutting their own throats.

heh... and i counter with it being too impossible to investigate every single product one purchases. Made in China? Ok.. now to just give that factory a call and ask what they pay, and then give some random Chinese in the area a call and ask them what they would consider a 'living wage'.

If you live in let's say NYC, your cost of living is going to be astronomically higher than if you were living in bumfuck, 3rd-World.
I personally have no idea even within THIS country all the ins and outs of different regions.. let alone what is poor, comfortable, or wealthy in another country. I cannot decide for them what a living wage is.

Quote:

Who says every country must be an industrialized country? Who says those oil reserves must be drilled?

It's a sham, neither of those things are a neccessity. I'm fairly sure that humans existed for thousands of years all over this planet without having to work in a Nike sweatshop or sell their souls to get some rigs to pump out oil.

Quote:

Well.. yeah. I don't think you could really find too many people to support the bloated and excessive reach-arounds that execs give themselves and eachother.

--------------------
grar.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#3627675 - 01/14/05 08:27 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

OOhohhoh yes they would.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

--------------------
grar.

OfflineJacquesSauniere
mr
Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #3634603 - 01/16/05 10:30 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

er we understood you the FIRST time around mushmonkey, haha

InvisiblePaou
Seeker

Loc: Transcendence
    #3635139 - 01/16/05 01:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I have a feeling they'd be less hostile to the sight of Red Cross workers than they are to US soldiers. Perhaps we should take this as an opportunity to reevaluate our policy on foreign aid.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: Paou]
    #3635146 - 01/16/05 01:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

How many helicopters does the Red Cross have?

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Indonesia to US -- "Thanks. Now beat it." [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3635639 - 01/16/05 04:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
How many helicopters does the Red Cross have?

Red Cross and Red Crescent should work together.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder