Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

linux people... iptables
    #3626208 - 01/14/05 01:30 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i've just recently gotten my debian system up, running, and set up how i like it.  :cool:

i've been using firestarter for my firewall needs, which i understand is just a gui frontend for iptables. it's kindof a pain. it requires root priviledges to run, so i always have to type a password and though it tries to start up during the boot sequence, it always fails for some reason.

i'd like to just set up a basic iptables configuration manually and not have to worry about all of that.

basically what i'd like is a simple iptables scheme that will protect the system from the outside. can someone explain what one would do to set that up?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: linux people... iptables [Re: ]
    #3626284 - 01/14/05 01:44 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Don't want to be an ass, but "man iptables". That helped me set it up.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
Re: linux people... iptables [Re: ]
    #3626486 - 01/14/05 02:19 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Like you said, firestarter is just a gui frontend for iptables. It needs not run all the time or automatically run at bootup. Is it just firestarter that fails at boot, or is it iptables itself? If iptables runs, then you have no problem, you can just run firestarter when you need to change something, and if iptables fails, then you have a deeper problem. I doubt you'll find anything firewall-related that works without root priveledges.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
Re: linux people... iptables [Re: MarioNett]
    #3626621 - 01/14/05 02:53 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hi!  Welcome to Debian, the best distrobution of linux out there.  (I'm a debian elitist)

Get familiar with newbiedoc.
Quote:

What it's all about
Last week, we were Debian  newbies. We suffered terribly, changing a setting, installing a package, decoding a log file. An uphill battle, every step of the way.

This week, we'll write down what we learned.

Next week, a newbie's peace-of-mind will be saved because we wrote it down.

What could be better than that?

I'll admit I didn't read it, simply googled newbiedoc iptables, but this newbiedoc - Setting up a Linux Gateway should be of some use to you, as setting up a home gateway requires using ipchains/iptables.

Also, aside from `man iptables' you can also `info iptables', and since you have a debian system, you can also use the information available to you in /usr/share/doc/iptables (every package is supposed to have an entry in /usr/share/doc/packagename)

:heart: debian :heart:

--------------------
delta9

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology