Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Presterilizing substrate ingredients
    #3626187 - 01/14/05 01:27 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Has anyone tried it? Only seen the idea in one tek, but it sounds like a good way to further reduce chances of contamination. Basically it involves baking BRF and verm in oven and boiling some water separately, then using those as your substrate ingredients like normal (still have to steam/pressure cook tho.) I would like to try this out, lemme know if it's worth the effort.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineChrisHippyLoser
Dope Smoker

Loc: Big Tex
Re: Presterilizing substrate ingredients [Re: Fungus_Farmer]
    #3626233 - 01/14/05 01:36 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i don't think it is worth the effort...

if you're properly pc'ing or steaming your jars and then taking adequate sterilization measures during inooculation you should be ok.

if you have a contam problem you'll need to really consider your methods and try to figure out where that problem comes from.

it could be a lot of things, we'd need a lot more info to accuratley diagnose...

i've heard of people doing similar things, but its not the norm. i don't personally take any special precautions before pc'ing and it hasn't caused me any major problems. though i may just be lucky...

hope this helps ya some...

Anonymous

#3626241 - 01/14/05 01:38 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

while i can't say that i've done any scientific tests, i do believe you'd be wasting a lot of time and effort by doing that.

sterilization KILLS everything in the substrate. killing some of the stuff in one step, and the rest in another, just doesn't seem to make much sense.

if you blow the sterilization step, your substrate will not be clean and things will not go the way you'd have liked them to. you either succeed in the sterilization or you don't. pasteurizing beforehand is only going to kill the weak ones anyway. they'll be the first to die when you sterilize it.

the important thing is that you are not "presterilizing" the substrate ingredients. you're just heating them up and killing some of the weaker organisms present. i don't see how it would help at all.

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Presterilizing substrate ingredients [Re: ]
    #3626627 - 01/14/05 02:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It is my belief that the reason these people seem to be getting relief from the above mentioned method is...

Because you are hydrating any super-dehydrated spores that would initially survive the quick PC process. (Rare, but some brands just seem to have a lot more of these super-dehydrated spores than others. Form processing/drying at the factory... Maybe the pollen/mold count was high that day, or thier filter was being changed... whatever, it happens.)

To me, it use-to happen a lot. Now I presoak everything before I use it... 24 hours, then PC. Helped me a lot! (Soak 24H, Simmer 2H, Fridge 24H, PC 2H) I also attribute the fact that my goods don't dry-out in the PC after 2 Hours, because of my extended soak time. As opposed to a quick bath in water, followed by a PC session.

(NOTE: I also liquify all my grains, WBS and BRF, until it looks like gravy/plaster.)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/14/05 02:56 AM)

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: Presterilizing substrate ingredients [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3629130 - 01/14/05 06:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I understand that it may be a waste of time, but the whole idea of sterilizing in the oven before steaming isn't just to "sterilize twice." Since I'm just using a pot and not a PC to sterilize my substrate, the temp is only going to get up to 212F, which kills most, but not all contams. If I sterilize verm and BRF in oven at 300, that will kill every possible contam in that material. Then when I steam the substrate jars in the pot at 212, the only stuff that I'll be killing then is whatever contams managed to get in the material between the oven and the pot, which should be a lot less than what contams were there when I bought the stuff.

--------------------
Excerpt from one of my textbooks:
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.
I wonder if that would make more sense if I was tripping when I read it.

Offlinekiss
numbnuts
 User Gallery

Loc: under your bed
    #3629379 - 01/14/05 07:27 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Just a tip for ya...
I understand where your commin from. Your just trying to cover all base's...nothing wrong with that. I use a PC, but I still understand what you mean. However since air is a bad conductor of heat, your gonna wanna pre-heat your oven at what ever temp. you want to use, and use about 2 hr. if you wanna achieve anything.
A P.cooker at 15# is 257f, so something like 350-400f in your oven for 2 hr. will certainly do something for ya!
Good Luck!
P.S.
Save the funds and get yourself a P.cooker. Then all of this will be unnecessary, and will allow you to try different media.

--------------------
see dick drink
see dick drive
see dick die
don't be a dick!

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: Presterilizing substrate ingredients [Re: kiss]
    #3629441 - 01/14/05 07:49 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

laughing gym. if u liquify ur grains how does the myc. coonize them? and how do u dry all that stuff out properly?

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Presterilizing substrate ingredients [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3629973 - 01/15/05 03:46 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That's like colonized wbs mud, lol

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation