Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsycAura
think, and bewicked
 User Gallery

Loc: an alternate universe som...
casing problem
    #3624968 - 01/13/05 09:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i cased (must be close to 10 days ago now) 1pint jar and 1/2 pint jar (pf style) in a bread sized alum tin pan. i did the correct ratio of substrate to casing (~ 4:1)
i used a 50/50 peat and verm with both oyster shell and hydrated lime (the brand recommended) (following the recipe at the bottom of the 50/50+ tek - actually with slightly less hydrated lime) the moisture content im pretty sure i got correct and temps have ranged b/w 85 - 77 (im in fl)
i see no myc popping through the top (there seems to be a small patch in one of the valleys but im not sure, which was not there a day ago) i did make 2 rather important mistakes
mistake 1--- i didnt do a pH test so im really not sure of the pH
mistake 2 i didnt label the jars upon inoculation so the 2 jars i used as substrate could possibly be 2 different strains
is there any way to salvage this casing? maybe i should give it more time? or at least do some type of experiment with it?
any ideas or help would much be appreciated

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain. - Captain Murphy

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrasshopaWilkins
bitchwhat
 User Gallery

Re: casing problem [Re: PsycAura]
    #3625051 - 01/13/05 09:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

ive made casings with 2 strains before...didnt really seem to slow it down too much.

how thick did you make the casing layer?

the myc. wont grow if the pH is way off...but it has to pretty far off the mark for nothing to grow.

--------------------
without love in a dream itll never come true.

OfflinePsycAura
think, and bewicked
 User Gallery

Re: casing problem [Re: GrasshopaWilkins]
    #3625096 - 01/13/05 09:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

casing layer was probably around 1.75 inches (a 1.5 pints layered into a bread sized pan)

--------------------

OfflineGrasshopaWilkins
bitchwhat
 User Gallery

#3625193 - 01/13/05 09:45 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

1.75 is way too thick. you want between 1/4"(one quarter of an inch) to 1/2" (one half an inch) for every 2 inches of substrate you use.

what i like to do is mix the colonized jars with 50/ 50 coco-coir/vermiculite at a 3:1 ratio as in one pint of coir for every 3 pints of spawn. pH the coir/ verm to 7.0

i mix everything together, the 4 jars, get it nice and VERY level and even(this is important for an even pin set). then cover the the tray with aluminum foil for about 3 days or until about 95% of the of the surface of the casing is white w/ myc. after i cover them with foil i stick them in my fruiting chamber and keep the humidity up, fanning them 2-3 times a day.

after +/-95% of the casing is colonized ill case the casing with a thin layer of 50/50 coir/verm Ph'd to 7.0 with calcium carbonate(local brewery store). hydrated lime works good as a pH buffer but calcium carbonate lasts alot longer. *make sure your casing is nice even and level. you just need to cover the white up, like i said 1/4" to 1/2" per every two inches of substrate.

after you apply the casing layer stick the casing back into the fruiting chamber. a rubbermaid filled with casings will not need any extra humidification other than an occasional misting when the sides of the container look dry. lightly mist the casings daily until you see myc growing through.

sorry if this seems complicated i tried to make it simple. if you follow what i wrote youll get the art of casing down quick.
good luck.

--------------------
without love in a dream itll never come true.

Edited by Grashopa_Wilkins (01/13/05 09:57 PM)

OfflinePsycAura
think, and bewicked
 User Gallery

Re: casing problem [Re: GrasshopaWilkins]
    #3627156 - 01/14/05 04:47 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

sorry i misread what you wrote......
the substrate level was 1.75
the casing layer was about 1/2 an inch
i tried for a 4:1 ratio
again the problem is im showing no signs of growth or possibly very tiny tiny signs.... so should i wait someone (mind you were getting close to 2 weeks now)

--------------------

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
    #3627878 - 01/14/05 12:51 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

rather new to casings myself, but it seems logical that if your casing layer is thicker than it should be, you would have to wait longer for the myc to grow through and pin. the cat's first casings were almost three weeks before they started to pin. i can't tell you how thick it was since the cat just eyeballed it. next casings are going to be much less thick.
gl with the grow.
question to the forum though, does coir/verm have to be ph'ed? shouldn't it be nearly neutral already?

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
Re: casing problem [Re: theknighterrant]
    #3627972 - 01/14/05 01:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i thought it would be neutral already too, like jiffy-mix, but i'm new to casings as well. i also have a Q for everyone: suppose that i have three casings of 2" depth... what would be the average resulting fruit sizes if casings of .25", .5" and .75", to the best of your knowledge? i know substrate and sub. depth are the major variables in fruit size, but doesn't casing layer have some effect as well? thanks

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation