Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Canadian Researcher Invents New Solar Cell
    #3622855 - 01/13/05 10:27 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...canada_solar_dc

TORONTO (Reuters) - It may only be a matter of time before we will be using our shirts to charge our cellphones.

Researchers at the University of Toronto have invented a flexible plastic solar cell that is said to be five times more efficient than current methods in converting energy from the sun into electrical energy.

Team leader Ted Sargent, a professor of electrical and computer engineering at the university, said the cell harnesses infrared light from the sun and can form a flexible film on the surface of cloth, paper or other materials.

And the film can turn 30 percent of the sun's power into usable electrical energy -- a far better performance than the 6 percent gleaned from the best plastic solar cells now in use.

"The fact that these materials harness the sun's energy using flexible materials potentially could allow you to weave the plastics into fibers, sort of the way we have synthetic fibers already, and to weave those into clothing and make something that's a wearable solar cell," Sargent said from Boston, where he is working until the summer.

"That's sort of portable electricity."

Sargent said the coating could be woven into a shirt or sweater and used to charge an item like a cellphone.

"We expect that our cellphones or our e-mail can go anywhere with us, but we don't have that expectation of a continuous supply of power. The best that we have is batteries, which run out," he said.

"So if we could have a wireless source of power like how the sun would provide, this would be pretty exciting."

Research about the new cell was published in the Sunday online edition of the scientific journal Nature Materials, and Sargent said he was now looking for investors who could turn the invention into a commercially viable product.

Terry White, president of the Solar Energy Society of Canada said solar cells on these lines could transform the industry.

"If they make (solar cells) both less expensive and the potential applications more varied, then it's a major breakthrough," he said.

Sargent said the technology could be available to the average consumer within five to ten years. But it already has Wall Street venture capitalists interested.

"The technology really caught my eye both in the scientific literature and the business prospects," said Josh Wolfe, managing partner at Lux Capital in Manhattan, a venture capital firm that makes an estimated $1- to $2-million U.S. investment per project in early stage nanotechnology.

"So the concept of having rollable newspaper displays or other things that could power your laptop or portable devices or create new products that are best left to the creativity of the engineers, to me, it represents a pretty sea-change."

So what happens if the sun doesn't shine?

"There is obviously no power in the visible (light)," said Sargent. "But in the infrared, it's not completely zero power. It doesn't have to be as hot as the sun, but everything that's warm, gives off some heat. Even people and animals give off heat. So there actually is some power remaining in the infrared even when it appears to us to be dark outside."

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Canadian Researcher Invents New Solar Cell [Re: Seuss]
    #3622872 - 01/13/05 10:34 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The theoretical maximum solar cell efficiency is around 34% to 36%. The cells on a solar powered calculator are around 6% to 8% efficient. The cells on a typical solar panel are around 12% to 18% efficient. The cells used in space, which are the best of the best, are around 21% to 23% efficient but cost millions of dollars for each panel.

Most solar panels use the blue end of the spectrum. The red end generates heat which raises the internal resistance of the solar array and lowers overall efficiency. If these panels are using the energy from the red end of the spectrum to generate electricity rather than heat, then we get an additional bonus in overall efficiency over traditional solar cells.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#3622890 - 01/13/05 10:40 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Rock. I suspect it will be some time before this is made available to the general public?

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Canadian Researcher Invents New Solar Cell [Re: DNKYD]
    #3623047 - 01/13/05 11:30 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Right after military application

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
Re: Canadian Researcher Invents New Solar Cell [Re: downforpot]
    #3623225 - 01/13/05 12:25 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i dont look for the military to make use of it.not in the US anyway ,but i could be wrong.

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #3623396 - 01/13/05 01:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I might be mistaken but doesn't that 30% figure only apply when these new cells are layered with the highest quality traditional (rigid) photovolatic cells?

Personally I think we should be focusing on the development of the Stirling engine which is a much more efficient solar-powered generator. It could then be used to cleanly extract hydrogen from water for portable energy storage.

But no I wouldn't complain if I could recharge my electronic gadgets by plugging them into my clothing and going for a walk out in the sun. :laugh:

-Y

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order