Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
A modification of standard casing techniques, sure to draw criticism
    #3622729 - 01/13/05 11:23 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I've read a lot of posts where people complain about small mushrooms, or aborts on the first flush.  I myself have had this problem too but developed a method of making the first flush more productive.  I believe that the reason many experience a weak first flush is from psuedo-overlay.  The substrate layer gets a bit too comfortable in its vegetative state to really be productive first round of fruiting. Many will say that thes procedures are for those who do not mist properly, or provide a proper casing.  To some degree this may be true, but the fact is that the substrate forms a tough layer that is not all that great at letting water and air percolate into its depths.  Breaking up this layer a bit just prior to fruiting insures fresh air and water to all of the substrate. Now for the technique, which I'm sure will catch hellish criticism.  Once you've cased your mushrooms and let them vegetate a few days as normal and they seem they are ready to begin the misting/fanning routine its time to begin the surgery.  Begin by preparing either pure vermiculite, or casing with extra vermiculite as if you were going to patch.  Moistening the vermiculite heavily and then microwaving for 5 minutes, stirring and heating 5 more minutes works well.  Be absolutely positive the casing has cooled before using procedding to the next step.  Next, get yourself a nice sharp steaknife and sterilize with alcohol and flame.  Now its time to do the dirty work.  Slice your casing up, top to bottom with the knife into 1.5" cubes.  Basically you are doing a deep scratch on the casing.  Now spray heavily with spring water from a nice sterile spray bottle.  Spray until the casing is quite moist, some liquid may drain from the bottom of your casing container (try to avoid this, but if it happens you'll be fine).  Now sprinkle your vermiculite, or casing over the top and pat down very gently.  Let the casing sit one day, and then initiate fanning and light, but not misting.  Your casing will drink up all of the moisture you sprayed it down with, within a day or two.  The slicing will allow extra air and moisture to reach the substrate.  If you do need to mist, be careful not to spray too much, the substrate will have absorbed most of what it needed for fruiting during the procedure.  This procedure should be used only if you have tried other methods of producing a better first flush without success.  Experience shows this procedure will on average triple the number of fruits produced first flush, in addition to producing larger fruits.  It also seems to shorten the time interval between flushes. Now let the constructive criticism begin.  I am well aware that this procedure will increase the liklihood of cross-contamination... if done improperly i.e without sterile technique.  Does anyone else do this? I'd love to hear feedback on this technique, and help improve it; or even make it unncessary with better adive than my own.  :mushroom2:

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A modification of standard casing techniques, sure to draw criticism [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #3622743 - 01/13/05 11:29 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I dont think its gonna introduce any more contams than crumbling or cutting off an undercolonized piece of cakes. Youre increasing surface area buy ten-fold to absorb water that way. Nice

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: A modification of standard casing techniques, sure to draw criticism [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #3623193 - 01/13/05 02:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It is said that if overlayed , and one must take risk of scratching , the result sometimes does produce better pinsets . I like your theory of psuedo overlay , especially with some of the species that do not realize they are to stop veggy growth (malabars are this way)and begin fruiting .
Instead of a knife , try a fork , kinda acts like a tiller , and does multiple scrapes in one pass . Tad easier to control how deep you go to IMHO .
GL

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation