Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekranked
it'smushtastic!!

Cant explain it.
    #3620508 - 01/12/05 08:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

This is probably the last thing you guys would like to be reading but I've honestly gone to the ends of the earth to get my mushrooms to grow.

I really cant pinpoint what I'm doing wrong. It's getting incredibly frustrating. I'm using a PF-tek with a b+ spore syringe from sporeworks.com.

I cant even get bloody mold to grow in the jars. This tells me one of two things. A) They are exceptionally sterile B) The environment isn't suitable for anything to grow. I'm finding option B hard to believe considering that mold grows on almost anything with a suitable moisture content. The jars are looking exactly like other peoples jars. They are decently moist but not to moist.

This finally leads me to think that the spore syringes were duds. But all 5 of them? In 5 different attempts? Not likely. At this point I really don't want to give up. Can anyone recommend a VERY re-liable PF-tek and possibly were I can buy an idiot proof cultivation kit?

Any replies are greatly appreciated considering I'm at the end of my rope.

--------------------
"When it went off in New Mexico, that first atomic bomb, we thought of Alfred Nobel and his hope, his vain hope, that dynamite would put an end to all war"

-Robert Oppenheimer 1945

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: Cant explain it. [Re: kranked]
    #3620519 - 01/12/05 08:23 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

do you have a pressure cooker ?

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3620527 - 01/12/05 08:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Might have been jars....you didn't knock them up and then sterilyze did you? :lol:

Well, explain a bit more on your procedure and perhaps i can point you in a good direction?

If not, then Gl

-gnostic-

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Cant explain it. [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3620536 - 01/12/05 08:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Don't need a PC for Pf....

Only grains, trying to get him to go grain? :lol:

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#3620547 - 01/12/05 08:29 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

well grains are a million times easier than pf grains have what three steps no massureing

soak 24hrs

drain

load jars and pc

how simple is that wbs i mean

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

#3620570 - 01/12/05 08:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Get a mycobag

--------------------

Offlinekranked
it'smushtastic!!

#3620593 - 01/12/05 08:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No I didn't knock them up before sterilizing. Not that dumb. Can anyone recommend a web-page were I can find a good kit? Same for spores. I'm not asking to be spoon fed. Ive looked alot.

--------------------
"When it went off in New Mexico, that first atomic bomb, we thought of Alfred Nobel and his hope, his vain hope, that dynamite would put an end to all war"

-Robert Oppenheimer 1945

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3620632 - 01/12/05 08:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You can check out the shroomery's sponsers.

I've heard of a lot of bad things about sporeworks.com...
Maybe that's where it went wrong...

But regardless, explain your procedure, i'm curious as to what you did and if you did something wrong, i'd hate to think sporeworks sucks even more when you may have been at fault...and sry about the sterile joke =), But some people have done it :wtf:

Well, Good luck..

-gnostic-

Offlinekranked
it'smushtastic!!

#3620695 - 01/12/05 08:59 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No harm taken. I had a good laugh actually! Well explain what I'm doing you say? Hmm were to start.....

You see sporeworks is the only site I could find that would ship to good old Canada land.

The PF-tek involved mixing vermiculite, organic brown rice flour and distilled water. The jars then had the lids lightly screwed down. They were then placed four at a time into a large pot of water ontop of a rack. (They didn't actually contact the water.) They were steamed for 20 minutes. Removed, cooled down, lids tightened. I used a nail and a hammer to punch 3 small holes in each lid of each jar. They were thus inoculated through these holes.

I covered the holes with hockey tape. Placed the jars in a box and placed the bow on top of a heating pad that was set to low. A towel covered the whole thing. Ive also tried leaving other attempts covered but in the cold basement of my house.

--------------------

-Robert Oppenheimer 1945

InvisibleNOS4A2
This is the way

Loc: -tite Flag
    #3620733 - 01/12/05 09:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Make sure it's dark, your at 86degs+- and it stays that way. If nothing grows it's gotta be your syringe or inoculation technique.Pretty simple

--------------------

Offlinekranked
it'smushtastic!!

Re: Cant explain it. [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3620757 - 01/12/05 09:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I've pretty much narrowed it down to exactly that. Were do the majority of people buy reliable prints/syringes?

--------------------

-Robert Oppenheimer 1945

Offlinebemmers1
friend of afriendly farmer
    #3620795 - 01/12/05 09:22 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not sure if they are a site sponsor, so I'm not sure if I should be recommending them, but the sporelab has always been great to me.  I live in Canada also, and have had no problems with the service/syringes I got.  Good luck man, don't give up.  It is definately worth it in the end, but can be more than a little frustrating when starting :smile:

Offlinekranked
it'smushtastic!!

Re: Cant explain it. [Re: bemmers1]
    #3620862 - 01/12/05 09:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'll check them out. Thanks for the encouragement.

--------------------

-Robert Oppenheimer 1945

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3620896 - 01/12/05 09:42 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ok wait...lemme go over this, You said that you steamed for 20mintues and then you punched un-sterile nails into your clean jars? I think that you meant that you punched the holes, then covered them with some type of tape, steamed, and then innocualted....Correct?

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3620900 - 01/12/05 09:42 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

kranked said:
They were then placed four at a time into a large pot of water ontop of a rack. (They didn't actually contact the water.)

I dont know how much of a difference it makes but I have always had the water halfway up the jar, just not touching the foil.

They were steamed for 20 minutes. Removed, cooled down, lids tightened.

If you steamed for only 20 I hope it was a pressure cooker not just a boiling pot of water like it sounds. Why did you tighten the lids? I have noticed much faster colonization time with the lid tightened just to where it starts to get snug, no tape on the innoc holes, and foil covering the whole lid.

I used a nail and a hammer to punch 3 small holes in each lid of each jar.

Why would you use a dirty ass nail to punch the holes AFTER you sterilize the jars???

I covered the holes with hockey tape.
If you put tape on it sterilize it after you do

Placed the jars in a box and placed the bow on top of a heating pad that was set to low.

What temperature are they at right now? If its in the 90's like I think that is another reason you aren't going to see any growth

btw you didnt leave the jars in the electric blanket to cool or anything did you?

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Cant explain it. [Re: metasin]
    #3620926 - 01/12/05 09:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Recondite, bravo, you got acros what i was trying to say...and I got owned, Nice :wink:

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3621025 - 01/12/05 10:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
Recondite, bravo, you got acros what i was trying to say...and I got owned, Nice :wink:

kinda funny as we both posted it at the same exact time, heh

:p

Offlinekranked
it'smushtastic!!

#3621098 - 01/12/05 10:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The lids were snug, not reefed on. I didnt want them to pressurise and explode. My first time, so I didnt know what to expect.

The jars cooled to rom temp. before I inoculated them. I dont quite understand the tinfoil idea. Care to explain a little more.

The fact that the nail was unsterilized was besides the point. The nail maybe came within 3cm of the cakes in the jars. Even then contam didn't occur.

Thanks for putting up with my n00bishness.

--------------------

-Robert Oppenheimer 1945

Edited by kranked (01/12/05 10:19 PM)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3621109 - 01/12/05 10:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I would be willing to bet that the heat may have transfered too quickly through the glass. (You may have fried your spores, or dried them!) Try adding about 1 inch of distance between the hot-plate and the jars. Even though the temp says 84F, the plate has to get to 110F to change 70F into 84F.

Glass is NOT an insulator, it will transfer heat real fast! Not as fast as metal, but it will transfer and hold high heat.

You might want to put a frying pan on the hot-plate, and then put the jars on a round cookie sheet, sitting in the pan. Even place a little water in the pan, but keep it all covered. If you have a temprature controller, put it directly on the hot-plate. (They are not always fast... some take up to five seconds to notice the temp is too high before it turns down the temp.)

My old temp sensor let my hot-plate get up to 110F, for about five seconds, then it turned off... and waited until it fell to 75F before it turned back on. It stayed at 105F for about a min after shutting off. (Tested with a true thermomiter, and digital, my digital has a 2 second lag, and 10% acuracy, as most probes do. Only one probe with a Silicon sensor gives a linear output that is quick and within 0.1% across the board. Made by a company called "Andigilog". It is the only acurate digital temp sensor probe, that doesn't cost $800.00) They actually sent me a sample of all of thier chips, 5 each of 9 types... they are fast and acurate!

Adding that space will give you a little more of a heat buffer, so that the glass may only feel 90F of the 110F, and only for a split second, as opposed to seconds/minutes.

If you still have trouble... use a smaller wattage. You only need 5w-15w to maintain 84F... If the plate is a 25w - 300w plate, then that is your trouble. (Flip it over on the bottom, near the plug is the wattage rate.)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/12/05 10:20 PM)

Offlinekranked
it'smushtastic!!

Re: Cant explain it. [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3621164 - 01/12/05 10:22 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I inoculated after I had sterilized.

I also did what you said with the pan and the water. The jars never touched the water because the rack raised them above the water level.

--------------------

-Robert Oppenheimer 1945

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds