Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStreamEnterer
Stranger
Testing Mushrooms (Poison Question)
    #3620685 - 01/12/05 08:57 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm going to be getting some Fly Agaric mushroom extract in a couple days. I realize that this mushroom is considered to be poisonous and potentially lethal at least in large doses, but does anyone know if there is speculation that they are dangerous even in a normal tripping dose?

As far as poisonous mushrooms, is there a "safe" amount to take where even poisonous mushrooms will only make you ill? I would like to test the extract first and am wondering how much to take. Enough that if it's dangerous I will know, but is it possible to not get violently ill when taking a mushroom that turns out to be quite poisonous?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: Testing Mushrooms (Poison Question) [Re: StreamEnterer]
    #3620843 - 01/12/05 09:32 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I dont think one should do something like that enless with someone very experienced....but to each his own.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3620854 - 01/12/05 09:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I wouldn't consider Fly Agaric to be poisonous mushrooms. I consider Death Caps or Destroying Angels to be poisonous, but Fly Agaric, while not harmless, is not poisonous in the traditional sense of the word either. For example, with the formerly mentioned truely poisonous mushrooms, there is no safe dose for any practical purposes. Maybe if you only eat a bite you'll survive, but it is definitely not safe, nor have I even heard there's any reason to do this, other than they reportedly taste good.

If you're interested in the neurological effects of the chemicals, the main ingredient, muscimol, is not really a poison. Other ingredients in the mushroom could potentially be harmful, like ibotenic acid, but it is said that it does not cross the blood brain barrier, and that which is not metabolized into muscimol is excreted. For example:

"Muscimol: Muscimol's primary action is at GABA receptor sites as a potent GABA-A agonist. Muscimol is commonly used in lab research on the GABA, which is a primary inhibitory neurotransmitter. Muscimol has been shown to be active in several parts of the brain including the cerebral cortex, hippocampus, and cerebellum 4."
http://www.erowid.org/plants/amanitas/amanitas_info6.shtml

As for if they are dangerous in normal tripping doses, it has the potential to be harmful more than hallucinogenics, but with caution it can be safely used. It is highly advised to start off small, and then increase your dose slowly. The most common side effects from too much amanitas are puking, blackouts and flu-like symptoms. Jumping into high doses could have dangerous effects, and some people have been hospitalized, but if you start off small and increase slowly you should not have these problems.

These are not nearly as forgiving as psilocybes, and should be treated with respect and caution if you want to explore with them. They have been safely used by trippers, but for safety reasons caution is advised.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineStreamEnterer
Stranger
Re: Testing Mushrooms (Poison Question) [Re: dobinky]
    #3620883 - 01/12/05 09:40 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ravus, all right thanks. That basically agrees with what I've read on about these mushrooms.

The thing is, the main reason I'm "testing" at all with a really small dose is just because they are in that Amanita category, so I want to make sure there is no mix-up. But are you saying that if for some reason I had the wrong mushroom, even a very small amount will kill me? I want to take the smallest amount possible first so that if it's bad I will feel it, but will not be at risk of getting really sick.

OfflineStreamEnterer
Stranger
    #3620893 - 01/12/05 09:42 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

By the way, what would you consider a small dose? My extract is equal to about 10 grams of the mushroom dry. It says the average dosages range from below 10 grams (dry) for light trips, and up to 30 for increasingly heavier trips.

If I just took all of my extract (10 grams worth dry), is that within your guidelines for starting off slowly on this new mushroom?

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3620975 - 01/12/05 09:55 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Did you pick your own amanitas, or order them from a vendor like IAmShaman? If you pick your own, be very cautious, and get them absolutely IDed as muscaria. 95% of mushroom poisonings come from the amanita family. I do not know at what dose mushrooms like the Death Cap turn from dangerous to fatal, because nobody sane eats Death Caps. You must assume that with a lethal mushroom like Death Caps and Destroying Angels that even a small bit is fatal, and never eat them. If you have accidentally eaten fatal mushrooms like the Death Cap, no matter the dose you should probably seek medical attention.

Since you have an extract however, I assume you got it from a vendor, in which case I would be pretty sure that they are 100% amanita muscaria. IAmShaman and other vendors are not known to kill their customers. As amanitas vary from patch to patch, and even mushroom to mushroom, it is nearly impossible to know their potency, so I recommend starting off with only a couple grams or so to test the waters, and then increase it by a couple grams until you reach psychoactive effects. By 5 to 10 grams, you should definitely by feeling it. Since you have extract, tweak the dosage accordingly, and look at http://www.erowid.org/plants/amanitas/amanitas.shtml for more info.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineStreamEnterer
Stranger
Re: Testing Mushrooms (Poison Question) [Re: Ravus]
    #3621015 - 01/12/05 10:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ok thanks. I got my extract from those Bouncing Bear guys.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale