Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineheadset
Stranger
XP Stalling/restarting often - Please help
    #3610626 - 01/10/05 11:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Alright guys - This is it.

Im going crazy - sometimes my computer stalls instantly on startup, sometimes it reboots - sometimes it'll do this 3 times in under 5 minutes. It done this for a long time - but the frequency has gotten un-handleable now - My computer is useless - i loose any typed data often and can cant download music, internet surfing is very inefficient do to restarts and forget about doing any decent research. I feel like pulling my hair out. Its been to 3 shops, and my impression is that they just run a virus scan and deem it working - they do not hook it up and use it... yet they charge 65$ for their services.

So here goes; I know very little about computers, but PC cillin and Avast! say im virus free - Im using Telus highspeed DSL, Im on a Cicero *futureshop brand* computer 2 years old with windows XP and pentium 4, 60gb harddrive... and i dont know anything else.

Heres my running processes;

seems i cant highlight them?

Edited by headset (01/10/05 11:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: XP Stalling/restarting often - Please help [Re: headset]
    #3610669 - 01/10/05 11:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like it could be a bad memory problem. Has any new hardware been installed lately.

Also if you have an extra mem chip try it. Or take one of the 2 out.

Reboots shortly after windows starts is a good indication of bad memory. Could be other problems tho too. Another good way to find out if its hardware or software problem is attempt to let windows setup reapair. If you boot of the windows xp cd and let it go into its thing where its its gonna ask you where to put winodws. Hits R for repair.

If you get a blue screen during this there is a hardware problem most likely memory.

Once you replace the memory you can finish windows repair and your install will be fine, but if u get a blue screen during it your probably not gonna get the repair finished till hardware is fixied.

ANother way to test memory is to burn this image. http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

and boot from it. Or use a program like prime95 or others to see if you get errors when it starts.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Edited by baraka (01/10/05 11:52 PM)

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #3610727 - 01/10/05 11:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'd check your event log for critical errors (right-click My Computer, 'Manage', 'Event Viewer', 'System') and see if there's one that keeps recurring. You should also set your computer to not restart on errors so you can see what the problem is (right-click My Computer, 'Properties', 'Advanced', 'Startup and Recovery', uncheck 'Automatically restart'.

If you can post more information about the errors you're receiving that will help track down the problem.

Peace,

-Y

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: XP Stalling/restarting often - Please help [Re: Ythan]
    #3610751 - 01/11/05 12:01 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

In my expierence with bad memory which was symptoms very close to what he describes the machine would still reboot or get wierd variet of errors like. "BAD POOL HEADER", "PAGE IN NON PAGED AREA" and the good ol' happy "STOP" ..... with that set so that will help narrow things down.

--------------------

Edited by baraka (01/11/05 12:07 AM)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: XP Stalling/restarting often - Please help [Re: baraka]
    #3610785 - 01/11/05 12:06 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

baraka said:
In my expierence with bad memory which was symptoms very close to what he describes the machine would still reboot with that set so that will help narrow things down.

I have to agree wit barake. Sounds like bad memory to me. Next time you take the computer to a shop ask them to guarantee in writing that they will identify the problem or not charge you. Don't allow them to just charge you for nothing.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlineheadset
Stranger
    #3614782 - 01/11/05 08:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

baraka said:
Sounds like it could be a bad memory problem. Has any new hardware been installed lately.

Also if you have an extra mem chip try it. Or take one of the 2 out.

Reboots shortly after windows starts is a good indication of bad memory. Could be other problems tho too. Another good way to find out if its hardware or software problem is attempt to let windows setup reapair. If you boot of the windows xp cd and let it go into its thing where its its gonna ask you where to put winodws. Hits R for repair.

If you get a blue screen during this there is a hardware problem most likely memory.

Once you replace the memory you can finish windows repair and your install will be fine, but if u get a blue screen during it your probably not gonna get the repair finished till hardware is fixied.

ANother way to test memory is to burn this image. http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

and boot from it. Or use a program like prime95 or others to see if you get errors when it starts.

See, ive tried repairing windows before - but it usually stalls. Not blue screens - just freeze's and doesnt move from where its at. Meaning..? Same with when i try and reinstall Xp it often take's inexcess of 10 times to get it loaded on - It usually freeze's around the 30 minute mark of the install - and sometimes it'll pick up where it left off, and sometimes it wont. Sometimes it'll freeze and you just cant start up XP for an hour or so (recent development).

I dont know what Prime95 is - and what do you mean by *boot from this image* - Ill go to the link - burn it to cd... and...

Thanks guys. I hope i can find a resolution here. *sigh*

Offlinechupucabras
Stranger
Loc: South Wales
    #3619885 - 01/12/05 06:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

headset said:
See, ive tried repairing windows before - but it usually stalls. Not blue screens - just freeze's and doesnt move from where its at. Meaning..? Same with when i try and reinstall Xp it often take's inexcess of 10 times to get it loaded on - It usually freeze's around the 30 minute mark of the install - and sometimes it'll pick up where it left off, and sometimes it wont. Sometimes it'll freeze and you just cant start up XP for an hour or so (recent development).

I dont know what Prime95 is - and what do you mean by *boot from this image* - Ill go to the link - burn it to cd... and...

Thanks guys. I hope i can find a resolution here. *sigh*

Did you do a complete reformat when you tried reinstalling windows? If so, it's almost definitely a hardware problem. I had a similar problem which turned out to be video card drivers, but while looking for a solution I learnt that RAM failure is a common reason for random crashes like the ones you described. Definitely get that memory checking utility. A .iso file is a CD image, you can load this into Nero or whatever burning package you use and it'll burn it onto a cd for you. You'll then need to boot from the CD, which might involve going into the BIOS. You do this by pressing delete (usually) as soon as you switch the PC on. Then you want to look for an option called something like "Boot order"; this tells the computer which drives to look for to boot from, and in what order. Probably the first boot device will be set to floppy disk, you should change this to your cd drive (makes sense to change it back afterwards, otherwise it'll take a while searching the cd drive when you first switch on). This means that if there's a bootable CD in the drive, it'll boot from that before checking the HD. This won't stop you booting normally if the bootable CD is NOT in the drive, but it might slow booting down a little.

You may also be able to put the memory tester onto a floppy disk, and boot from that which'd be much easier. Don't know if the memory test mentioned by the above poster allows you to do this, but the one I found on the Microsoft site did.

Dan

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: XP Stalling/restarting often - Please help [Re: chupucabras]
    #3620406 - 01/12/05 08:04 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You got the Sasser virus. A good antivirus program will alleviate the symptoms and a service pack 2 upgrade will cure it.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: XP Stalling/restarting often - Please help [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3620690 - 01/12/05 08:58 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I cant even download the security update 2. I tried once and then my computer wouldnt boot for awhile. On my stepfather's laptop which operate's perfectly fine, security update 2 messed up his computer so he needed to reload the OS.

Ill test my memory - but no doubt ill be back.

I wonder what the expected cost to have this fixxed would be?

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #3620781 - 01/12/05 09:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If you've scanned your system with PC cillin and Avast I doubt it's a virus. It really is sounding more and more like bad memory but you should follow my suggestion about checking your event logs to be sure it's not a bad driver or something. Fortunately memory is cheap and it shouldn't run you more than $100 to replace it. If your computer really is "useless" in its current state though, the easiest way to rule out a software problem is simply to wipe your hard drive and reinstall from scratch.

-Y

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: XP Stalling/restarting often - Please help [Re: chupucabras]
    #3621327 - 01/12/05 10:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If its locking up during windows install from a booted xp disk, its a hardware problem and most likely bad memory. Most of the time bad memory will give you a blue screen, but ive put a piece of memory in a machine that gave blue screens on one and just locked another.

Another thing if the memory is only partially faulty, some times you can lower the speed and it will work(for a little bit till it starts doing the same crap in my expierence).

Normally if a cpu / mobo has problems it wont work at all or is going to have conflicts with each other starting with change of other hardware/biosupdate/or most likely right away from incompatability.

--------------------

Edited by baraka (01/12/05 10:52 PM)

Offlineheadset
Stranger
    #3625420 - 01/13/05 08:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Alright - i downloaded the burnt the windows memory diagnostic here:
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

and switched the bios setting to boot from cdrom - It opened to a black screen with an arrow cursor frozen in the middle of the screen.

Ie. memory problem?

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
    #3628211 - 01/14/05 11:58 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I had this problem a few weeks ago, My computer was having REAL trouble starting up, it would take me upto 10 minutes sometimes for it to boot correctly and sometimes when it did, it would just restart, or id be doing something and my computer would just lock up or randomly restart again. I changed my hardrive and memory (RAM) but still had same problem untill i changed my processor and then it worked fine!

I suggest using spare parts to temporaly replace parts untill you find the problem. Dont buy new parts until you know what your dealing with, luckly i had spare parts.

Try replacing your processor, or if i was you and un sure, i would go to a computer store and ask for a computer diognostiz test, if it costs alot then just fuck it.

Good Luck  :thumbup:

i suggest memory or processor problems, at a long shot i would suggest harddrive problems.

--------------------
Ecstacy got me standing next to you
Getting sentimental as fuck spillin' guts to you
We just met
But I think I'm in love with you
But you're on it too
So you tell me you love me too
Wake up in the morning like "yo, what the fuck we do?"

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3629310 - 01/14/05 05:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hrmm i havent used that test but its gotta be somthing hardware related.

memory then processor then mobo... with memory probably being bad and the easiest to test. Just swap somthing different in.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates