Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewebbist
Stranger
Can't seem to find the right incubator/temperature regulartor...
    #3620687 - 01/12/05 10:57 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm in a unique situation. I am developing a grow box, if you will, out of a large empty computer case. Obviously it is metal and all the guts have been hollowed out. I will be using the grow bags... Anyway, from my readings, I need about 80 degrees in side this box 24/7... Being that it's a small environment and it's metal presents a problem... After talking to the folks at the shroomery text chat, I have come to the conclusion that my best overall solution would probably be a heating pad of some sort (although I'm still open to other solutions). However, I am not sure which type of heating pad I need, as most are built for tanks and that kind of thing. I was thinking about getting something like this: http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=9761230008&dept_id=%2D2 but I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'm looking for.. can someone give me a push in the right direction by suggestion some possible heating pads I could use or alternative heating solutions?

Regards,

John

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can't seem to find the right incubator/temperature regulartor... [Re: webbist]
    #3620782 - 01/12/05 11:19 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Welcome

I'd say your solution lies in the Tub-in-Tub (TiT, TnT) setup. Real simple: Two rubbermaid tubs stacked inside each other, the bottom one has several inches of water along with a submersible aquarium heater in it. Dial in temp, twink it to get desired temp, and wah-lah: Incubator. I couldn't dig up a link immediately for it, but you should be able to with a quick search.

It would probably solve all the issues that would arise using a heating blanket paired with this metal box you describe. I got away from heating pads long ago, the heating was too uneven for my needs.

HD

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can't seem to find the right incubator/temperature regulartor... [Re: webbist]
    #3620786 - 01/12/05 11:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Go buy electric blanket & control at thift store, GoodWill ($5). Cut out heating wires & use as needed.
EXAMPLE:

--------------------

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can't seem to find the right incubator/temperature regulartor... [Re: agar]
    #3620978 - 01/12/05 11:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

hey webbist,

I got the same thing goin on with the old comp box since its so incognito. I had an old reptile hot rock laying around that I use to heat it. I covered up the back fan and pci slot holes with cardboard from an express mail envelope. I got the hot rock sitting where the cd/dvd drive would go. It stays 85-90 with the rock so you are gonna have to open part of the cardboard up to vent it on the back. I use an old ass thermometer that was used in the photo industry from my roomie that threaded onto a faucet, the thermometer itself has a probe thats about 8in long that I removed from the plastic piece that threaded onto the faucet. It fits perfectly if you poke a hole in the cardboard so you can see the temp without opening the box. Its much easier to regulate your vent size to keep it at a steady 85/86. I could only fit about 8 jars on the bottom without double stacking them tho if u sit it straight up, so think about layin it on its side if you want to do more than that. GL

btw heres an old pic I had on here from a lil while ago.

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Can't seem to find the right incubator/temperature regulartor... [Re: metasin]
    #3621348 - 01/13/05 12:55 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Um... put the computer back inside and run it. Most computers stay about 84F while they run idle.

That has to be the most unique "Case-Mod" I have ever seen!

Go to the "Projects" section on the right hand column.
http://www.mini-itx.com

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/13/05 01:00 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation