Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley, The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

How About a Shroomery Reading List For Learning More About Drugs?
    #3620517 - 01/12/05 10:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'm really interested in reading more about drugs and I'm looking for more information then is available on the Internet. However, the amount of crappy books, misinformation and outdated material makes it hard for someone who's just begining to understand neurology to be able to know what's fact and what's fiction.

I propose a Shroomery combilation of reading material for people who are looking for a starting point on a certain topic. If it's successful, perhaps we could make a reading list for those looking for more in-depth reviews, etc.. but for now, I think it should be restricted to the cream of the crop so newbies won't have to choose from random titles.

We could organize it by type of book, such as reference, research results, trip reports, neurology, pharmocology, chemistry, biology and so on. Within those catagories, there could even be books solely on specific drugs.

Here's what I'd do for my reading list so far:

Research Reports:
DMT
DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Dr. Rick Strassman

Trip Reports:
The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley

This might be easier for a couple of well knowledgable people to put together since it would be far too chaotic to assemble with everyone. It might also help to write a small blurb about the book to give a person the context.

Whatta think? Let's get this thing off the ground!

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: How About a Shroomery Reading List For Learning More About Drugs? [Re: Twirling]
    #3620533 - 01/12/05 10:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/books_online.shtml

check that out, they are online and free

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: How About a Shroomery Reading List For Learning More About Drugs? [Re: gdman]
    #3644186 - 01/18/05 06:06 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Erowid's online books are excellent. The Essential Psychedelic Guide, by D.M. Turner is especially enjoyable.

The one main thing I had in mind however, was a list which contains books approved by board members as a valid source of information. I just purchased a book Erowid gave 4 stars to (http://www.erowid.org/library/books/drugs_and_brain.shtml) and was fairly disappointed by the lack of relevant information. The book was fairly basic and even contained some outdated scientific ideas.

For instance, I really want to learn about chemistry to work with drugs, as well as for academic reasons. Perhaps someone could recommend a good book for learning relevant chemistry for working with & understanding drugs.

I also am interested in understanding addiction further, and as anyone could guess, trying to sort through the information on that topic is near impossible considering how political it gets. I?m sure there are some people here who could list a book or two which they?ve found to be accurate on addiction.

Maybe it would help if I just listed a few ideas for catagories?

Neurology:

Chemistry:

Pharmacology:

Religious/spiritual use:

History:

Drug War/Prohibition/Drug Policey:

Drug Addiction:

Specific Drugs

DMT:

LSD:

Psilocybin:

Alcohol:

Ketamine:

etc...

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: How About a Shroomery Reading List For Learning More About Drugs? [Re: Twirling]
    #3645466 - 01/18/05 10:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

www.erowid.com :wink:

seriously, it is very comprehensive on lots of drugs.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley, The Doors

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback