Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
MLB pitcher who pitched on acid
    #3618600 - 01/12/05 04:36 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Im hoping somebody knows that im talking about. I read once that a pitcher once pitched an amazing game after he took acid one morning and didn't realize he had to play. Is there any truth to this?

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJettaJay
PsychedelicStranger
 User Gallery

Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid [Re: barfightlard]
    #3618637 - 01/12/05 04:40 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Dock Ellis

Los Angeles, April 8, 1984- Former Pittsburgh Pirates' pitcher Dock Ellis says he was under the influence of LSD when he pitched a 1970 no-hitter against the San Diego Padres.

Ellis, now co-ordinator of an anti drug program in Los Angeles, said he didn't know until six hours before his June 12, 1970 no hitter that he was going to pitch.

"I was in Los Angeles, and the team was playing in San Diego , but I didn't know it. I had taken LSD..... I thought it was an off-day, that's how come I had it in me. I took the LSD at noon. At 1pm, his girlfriend and trip partner looked at the paper and said, "Dock, you're pitching today!"

"That's when it was $9.50 to fly to San Diego. She got me to the airport at 3:30. I got there at 4:30, and the game started at 6:05pm. It was a twi-night doubleheader.

I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria.

I was zeroed in on the (catcher's) glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters and the bases were loaded two or three times.

The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."

The Pirates won the game, 2-0, although Ellis walked eight batters. It was the highpoint in the baseball career of one of the finer pitchers of his time, and arguably,one of the greatest achievements in the history of sports.

--------------------
I saw a little green light buzzing around in a tree, and it dawned on me that "they" were here
~~~LouiseLouise

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid *DELETED* [Re: JettaJay]
    #3618683 - 01/12/05 04:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid [Re: JettaJay]
    #3618696 - 01/12/05 04:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Damn that was fast

thanks

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid [Re: JettaJay]
    #3618739 - 01/12/05 04:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."

:lol: I wonder what his team-mates thought?

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
    #3618748 - 01/12/05 04:55 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Didn't Danny McLean pitch a perfect game or a no-hitter in 1968 for the Tigers on Acid? I'm almost positive he did... hang on googling.

I remember reading about it in Maxim.

...or maybe not but I'm almost positive I read that in Maxim... doh  :dead:

hehe this picture is awesome

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

Edited by PhatWhitey420 (01/12/05 05:07 PM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #3618774 - 01/12/05 05:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Damn, I've never played a sport while tripping, besides the mental... It sounds fun. :smile:

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineShroomFan
nn dmt

Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid [Re: Adamist]
    #3618867 - 01/12/05 05:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

YEA MAN I TELL

--------------------
Fellow Shroomerites, if you Love expressing yourself with a dope tee shirt feast your 3rd eye on www.facebook.com/vicereversa
∞ Conscious Clothing for Conscious Minds ∞ Wear a tee , open a mind
Each shirt is spawned to Arouse Awareness <> We believe in Sustainability & Giving back <> Do you know of a community project or persons in need you feel deserves attention? - Tell us on our page And we just might pick the story > develop a tee > and donate the proceeds to that cause. ∞♥∞ Unget it, VICE REVERSA

OfflineShroomFan
nn dmt

Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid [Re: ShroomFan]
    #3618868 - 01/12/05 05:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

people about this all the time

--------------------
Fellow Shroomerites, if you Love expressing yourself with a dope tee shirt feast your 3rd eye on www.facebook.com/vicereversa
∞ Conscious Clothing for Conscious Minds ∞ Wear a tee , open a mind
Each shirt is spawned to Arouse Awareness <> We believe in Sustainability & Giving back <> Do you know of a community project or persons in need you feel deserves attention? - Tell us on our page And we just might pick the story > develop a tee > and donate the proceeds to that cause. ∞♥∞ Unget it, VICE REVERSA

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #3619003 - 01/12/05 05:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I wish they showed that game on ESPN classic...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Anonymous

#3619570 - 01/12/05 07:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Here is a good article for anyone interested in Dock Ellis

Here is an Erowid link on it
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_history3.shtml

http://www.sportingnews.com/features/wherearethey/ellis/

Charismatic Ellis now helping others overcome addictions

When Dock Ellis says he did everything but win a World Series game, that "everything" involves probably more than any pitcher in baseball history.

From throwing a no-hitter while on LSD to plunking the first three batters in a game to being challenged to a fight by his own manager, Ellis? "everything" was, thanks to history?s softening lens, eccentric.

Ellis started two World Series games, one for the Pirates in 1971 and one for the Yankees in 1976. He got shelled in both, although the Pirates went on to win the title.

He started Game 1 in 1971 on the strength of winning 19 games for the Lumber Co., as the team was nicknamed.

"My arm was bad. That was a selfish move that I made," Ellis said. "All I had to do was say, ?Coach, I can?t pitch.? But no, I?m out there like I can throw. That was one of the only regrets that I have, but it was done, so it?s done. It was an honor to be selected to start the World Series."

Says Al Oliver, a member of the 1971 Pirates team: "On those teams, we had (Roberto) Clemente, we had (Willie) Stargell, but for me, Dock was No. 1. We were best friends, and we still are very close."

Ellis likely will go down as the only pitcher to admit throwing a no-hitter while on LSD, a hallucinogen.

Ellis was scheduled to face the Padres in the first game of a doubleheader on June 12, 1970.

He woke up that morning in Los Angeles.

Thinking it was Thursday and that he didn?t have to pitch that day, he took a hit of acid. But he soon learned that it was Friday -- he slept through Thursday without realizing it -- and that he had just dosed when he had only a few hours to get to the mound.

A "trip" on LSD can last all day and night, depending on how strong the dose. He briefly considered calling in ... tripped? blitzed? hammered? ... sick. But he sucked it up and took the mound.

He didn?t have his best control -- he walked eight and hit a batter. He batted, too -- he must?ve, it says so in the box score. But Ellis has no memory of standing at the plate.

Ellis says that was the only game he pitched on acid.

He says he never paid a cent for any amphetamines, cocaine, booze or any other substance he took over the years. He used his charisma and status to barter his way into enough drugs to allow him to never pitch a game sober.

That?s stunning, considering he compiled a 138-119 record with a 3.46 ERA in 345 games over the course of a 12-year career.

Ellis, 56, says he quit drinking and drugging 20 years ago ("I got sick and tired of being sick and tired"), and he has worked off and on as a drug counselor. He?s between jobs now, but he expects to get back into counseling this winter.

He lives in California, where he follows his son?s basketball career at Cal State-Bakersfield. Ellis says he can relate to the people he counsels.

"I let them know right off that I?m a person that cares about them whether they like it or not. When you say something like that, you?re going to get their attention, because nobody ever gave a damn about them, anyway," he said. "A lot of them have been sexually abused, physically abused, verbally abused. But you have to get on with your life."

"I?m not saying it?s easy. But it?s something that has to be done. Or you know where you?re going to end up, and that?s with the people with the coats. The blue coats, the white coats and the black coats. That?s the police, the hospital and the mortician."

Ellis had a reputation as a player for saying and doing outlandish things. He hasn?t stopped speaking his mind. When asked about giving up one of the most famous home runs in All-Star history -- Reggie Jackson?s blast into the lights at Tiger Stadium in 1971 -- Ellis bluntly says that Jackson eventually got his.

Jackson was with Baltimore in 1976, and Ellis was on the mound for the Yankees. Ellis was throwing a ball to the catcher to get a new one from the ump, and the throw almost hit the batter, Mark Belanger.

Jackson popped to the top of the dugout steps and suggested that if Ellis was going to throw at somebody, he should throw at somebody bigger. When Jackson came up, Ellis obliged, whipping the ball at Jackson?s face.

The resulting injury cost Jackson 28 games.

"Thurman (Munson) came out to the mound, and he said, ?Did you hear what your brother-man said?? I said, ?Yeah, fatboy, get your little fat butt behind the plate. Don?t give me any signal, watch me work it.? That?s what happened. When I went in the dugout, I had three $100 bills taped to my locker."

Edit: Added Erowid link at top

Edited by Anonymous (01/12/05 07:29 PM)

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid [Re: Organic]
    #3620120 - 01/12/05 09:06 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The best game of pool I've ever played, was on a 2 or 3 grams of shrooms. My mind was taken over by my [inner?] body, and it was as if 'I' was just observing 'myself' playing like a hardcore professional. I was amazed.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3620265 - 01/12/05 09:33 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Speaking of fucked up abilities on psychs, I remember reading in the MMGG that the author had video tape proof that he could mould the clouds.

My dad tells a story about being on the third day of a mescaline trip, where he was playing yatzee with some sober friends. He was able to control the dice and bring up any combination he wanted, winning yatzee over and over.

These are the things that snatch my attention away from long division. also, they make me want to click on that link in Anno's sig.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Edited by recalcitrant (01/12/05 09:45 PM)

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3620315 - 01/12/05 09:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Vegas on mescaline... dear sweet jesus... that sounds like a winner.

I think there may even be a book on that.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid [Re: blink]
    #3620420 - 01/12/05 10:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blinkidiot said:
I want to see a video of that game... I'm sure it's in an archive somewhere

I would LOVE to have this game on tape. There must be some way to get it.

Shroomfan: I love your avatar!

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Park Avenue Playground - The Trip

OfflineIts Pat
Don't OD dipshit nub.
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN...
Re: MLB pitcher who pitched on acid [Re: Organic]
    #3620953 - 01/12/05 11:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

where he follows his son?s basketball career at Cal State-Bakersfield

I went to Cal State Bakersfield, CSUB, from 1999-2003. During that time I met Doc at one of the Cal State games.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon San Pedro

Community >> The Pub