Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemoxjet20
Loc: santa cruz, magical land ...
filtered air terrarium
    #361753 - 07/27/01 01:10 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

hey i am kinda in the planning stages for my first attempt at growing.. anyways i kinda wanted any tips or suggestions for my terrarium. it is a small 10 gal glass aquarium, i was planning on using pearlite to humidify and running a small fishtank air pump at the bottom which pumped air out of the tank, thus sucking out c02 (which collects mostly at the bottom, right?), then i was gonna cut a hole in the top and cover it with one of those micron magic filters that one of the dudes on this board is sellin, so that way it would have a constant, steady influx of filtered air. would this drop the humidity TOO much, not enought, etc.. ? (i am planning on casing) sorry i can't say more specs about the pump, but has anyone else tried this, did they need to put it on a timer, or did they find that they actually needed more pumps in order to get it working? i hope to be able to not have to fan the terrarium, thus only opening when necessary..
THANKS!

ahh.. ps. anyone know of anything better/easier to aquire than those filters? i thought about cutting up a HEPA vaccum bag but they are more than the filters anyways!

seems like i've been here before
seems so familiar
seems like i'm slipping
into a dream within a dream

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDaCrazyWolf
Re: filtered air terrarium [Re: moxjet20]
    #361765 - 07/27/01 01:31 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

To whom it mat concern

that sounds like a winner of a terrium.

first you just need to drill a series of small holes about 10-20 depending on the size, and tape a filter over it. you can use a coffee filter they are cheep and easy to find.

now with a small 10 gallon tank air exchang is easier. do to surface to volume ratio the co2 will dissuse faster so a fish pump will be good.

if you are useing caseings the humidy doesn't have to be as high. 80-90 % do to the amount of water in the caseing layer. were you live is a factor also.

place perlite i small trays at the bottom. it is easier to replace and clean that way and it give you something to put you rack that you place the caseing on.

if the caseing layer is moist enought than misting with water is not needed, and that will only increase the risk of contams getting in. just mist after a harvest.

I hope i could help

Who's afraid of the Big, Bad, Wolf?....HOWL!!!

Offlinemoxjet20
Re: filtered air terrarium [Re: DaCrazyWolf]
    #361787 - 07/27/01 02:02 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the advice! i had planned on just covering the bottom with pearlite but putting it in somethin like an aluminum foil baking pan cut to size seems a lot easier to manage..

seems so familiar
seems like i'm slipping

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

OfflinePoopypants

Loc: Canada
    #361806 - 07/27/01 02:34 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Putting a filter on your lid won't do much, that's where the air goes out.

You want to put your air pump in a small tupperware dish and cut a hole in that lid.... make sense.
Then you're sucking "in" your supply air through a filter over that hole.

As long as your lid isn't super air tight- the air in your tank will find a way out. If you cut a big hole in the lid you're going to have probs keeping it humid, and from drying out.

On my old rubbermaid setup, I cut a 2"x2" hole and glued a rubber flap over it, let's air out...keeps moisture in.

Cheap filter alternatives - although the microns are pretty cheap.
coffee filter
used dryer sheets
peroxyde sponge
filter replacments for air cleaners - Like at Walmart - good charcol one @ $8 will last forever

that's about it - good luck bud :wink:

PoopyPants

I've learned everything from the mistakes that I've made. :cool:

--------------------
PoopyPants

I've learned everything from the mistakes that I've made. :cool:

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #361813 - 07/27/01 02:43 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

The airpump goes on the outside, blowing fresh air in.

Edited by puscle on 07/27/01 03:44 AM.

Offlinemoxjet20
Re: filtered air terrarium [Re: Poopypants]
    #361820 - 07/27/01 03:06 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

well see what i was planning on doing was having the pump sitting at the bottom of the tank and pumping air OUT, that way it sucks up most the C02 and sends it outwards, thus i would need a filter on the lid. however now that does not seem to be too wise, would prolly be better just to keep positive air pressure inside the tank and use your tupperware container dealy instead. .. thanks

seems so familiar
seems like i'm slipping

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order