Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Why was this thread closed?
    #3617239 - 01/12/05 09:35 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Great_Satan said:
For any of you young white liberal zealots who think you can come into Washington DC to protest the inauguration on the 20th, you need to beware of this murder capital of the world. There are neighborhoods in DC where if you walk down the street in them and you are white you will be robbed guaranteed. The city of DC was taken over by black activists and even put a black mayor (Marion Barry) in place who was convicted of cocaine possesion. After the riots in the 60's most business and richer people moved out to the suburbs leaving a lot of poor angry preditors in DC. They love niave liberals with money, so beware.

Why was this closed? Is it more of a bait than AnalBleeders comment laughing about the situation in Iraq? Or is talk outside of the box banned on the Shroomery now?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: SoopaX]
    #3617265 - 01/12/05 09:45 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3617297 - 01/12/05 09:56 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hehehe

I thought it was funny...Old Great Satan is pretty Funny - is that a snap of him you posted there SWEDEN?

:usa: :sniper: ooooo watch out scary Satan...the Blacks are coming to get you and your Cocaine and alcohol abusing hero president! *eek*

Never been to DC but the capital sounds like a prize slice of the American dream!

You've seen the movies..Now visit the set!

:jazzman: you heard of soul..brother? :craven:

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: CJay]
    #3617303 - 01/12/05 09:57 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hes also wrong, I don't think that DC is the lead city for homicides. I could be wrong.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #3617311 - 01/12/05 09:59 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You should wait to see if pinky or any of the other mods unlock it, I doubt they will but you never know. I think the post is fine it's on par with most of the other threads.

If you disagree with the decision to lock it then PM a mod and explain why you feel the thread should be unlocked, may I suggest you send one to Rono.

He will have to waste "valuable" time responding to you and pinky does enough round here.

Quote:

You've seen the movies..Now visit the set!

:lol:

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #3617335 - 01/12/05 10:07 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Rono didn't waste any time responding to me, at least...

Analbleeder might have intended that thread for bait, and he might have not. But the fact is that he doesn't troll for insults nearly as much as G_S. To an admin who has been watching this member develope since early september, it is obvious that he is only a puppet/troll. Just look at his ratings if you don't agree with me. You will see over and over: this shmo is a puppet, ignore this fucking puppet, get off the boards you ass-reaming puppet.

--------------------

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #3617336 - 01/12/05 10:07 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:rotfl:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3617421 - 01/12/05 10:36 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Great_Satan isn't a puppet. He has a single account. At one time he was known as Ed1, but a check of the post history of the two names will show that Ed1 made his last post several days before Great_Satan made his first. No foul.

It is not unusual for members to abandon an old account and re-register under a new name. This is what Great_Satan has done. So has Zahid/Zahudulallah and several of the regular OTD posters -- i.e. txtec/alounacara/PawPaw. As long as the user actually abandons the old account as opposed to resurrecting it for the occasional mischief, a name change is not "puppetry". Great_Satan requested that his Ed1 account be permabanned, and it has been. Not only has he never used it since re-registering as Great_Satan, he has arranged things so he cannot use it.

There is one thing those of you who have tangled with either Ed1 or Great_Satan may wish to check -- your ratings. If you have received a rating from both names, you may ask an administrator to have one of those ratings removed -- your choice which one. The administration will happily remove the one you select.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: Phred]
    #3617505 - 01/12/05 11:03 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

so why was the thread locked anyway?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: GazzBut]
    #3617510 - 01/12/05 11:05 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thats the real question! If we can't discuss sensitive issues like racism, why even have the forum? Why not just a "Brittney Spears OMG SHES HOT" forum?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: GazzBut]
    #3617537 - 01/12/05 11:12 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You'll have to ask Seuss -- he's the one who locked it.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
    #3617540 - 01/12/05 11:13 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The reason given was "baiting". Do you think great_satan was interested in discussing racism?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: deafpanda]
    #3617930 - 01/12/05 12:43 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

> The reason given was "baiting". Do you think great_satan was interested in discussing racism?

Correct. In my opinion, the thread was created only to get a racism flame war going. I left option open for a mod to reopen the thread if they felt my interpretation was incorrect, which it may have been... I'm not perfect.

I would have locked the other 'baiting' threads if I had noticed them. I try to leave most of the moderating job to the moderators, but I do give a hand from time to time. This happened to be one of those times.

I do not mind discussions about racism, but I will not tolerate baiting for a flame war. If we look closely at the original post in question:

Quote:

For any of you young white liberal zealots who think you can come into Washington DC to protest the inauguration on the 20th, you need to beware of this murder capital of the world. There are neighborhoods in DC where if you walk down the street in them and you are white you will be robbed guaranteed.

The above is fine.

Quote:

The city of DC was taken over by black activists and even put a black mayor (Marion Barry) in place who was convicted of cocaine possesion. After the riots in the 60's most business and richer people moved out to the suburbs leaving a lot of poor angry preditors in DC. They love niave liberals with money, so beware.

The above is almost fine... in fact, it could be argued both ways... however, based on the post history of the user, it is obvious (at least to me) that he was trying to bait users into a flame war.

Although I didn't agree with it, Swami was banned for a month for his posting style in S&P. If we are going to ban for baiting, then nobody should be exempt, great_satan included. I have received many complaints from various members about great_satan and his constant baiting and racist comments. I hate to restrict free speech, which is why I didn't ban him, but felt that by locking the thread I was sending a warning (to everybody).

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: Seuss]
    #3618618 - 01/12/05 02:38 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Correct. In my opinion, the thread was created only to get a racism flame war going. I left option open for a mod to reopen the thread if they felt my interpretation was incorrect, which it may have been... I'm not perfect.

So you believe it's the job of the authorities to act in prevention of a possible wrong? Lets ban all drugs, then.
Quote:

I do not mind discussions about racism, but I will not tolerate baiting for a flame war. If we look closely at the original post in question:

How many threads here don't turn into a pissing contest? Most are never resolved, just the same petty bickering.
Quote:

The above is almost fine... in fact, it could be argued both ways... however, based on the post history of the user, it is obvious (at least to me) that he was trying to bait users into a flame war.

By stating the truth? IF the thread turned into a flame war, you or the mods could have locked it. Since most threads really do turn into that at the end, usually in a minor way, I don't see the big problem. Hardly any threads are ever locked and if you look at the ones that have been and this thread, I think you'll see a great disparity.
Quote:

Although I didn't agree with it, Swami was banned for a month for his posting style in S&P. If we are going to ban for baiting, then nobody should be exempt, great_satan included. I have received many complaints from various members about great_satan and his constant baiting and racist comments. I hate to restrict free speech, which is why I didn't ban him, but felt that by locking the thread I was sending a warning (to everybody).

Yea, G_S is an asshole, but he does have good points from time to time. It's not up to me to decide whether or not his posts have merit, it's up for the community. What "warning" did you think that you set? That posting something that isn't explicity condeming racism is going to get it locked? That thread after thread of bullshit can continue to flow through here, but if we touch the "R" word, it better be toe'ing the party line? I think you've accomplished both.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3618741 - 01/12/05 02:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I thought I was fairly clear: posts created for the intent of baiting others into a flame war will result in a ban. We may have ignored this rule in the past, but it is going to be more strictly enforced. I loath censorship and am probably the most anti-censorship admin we have. I can only remember two members that I have banned as an admin. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the difference between a valid debate about racism or race and a post designed to incite flames. If you think I am being draconian for locking his post, you should talk to Swami. I don't want this to turn into a huge debate about what content is allowed and what isn't. Simply use common sense, and be respectful when posting.

Also, I don't think that great_satan is an asshole, as you put it. I do not agree with his racist viewpoint, but I don't condemn him for it either. He is entitled to his viewpoints just as I am entitled to mine. Again, his post was not locked because I felt he was being racist. It was locked because I felt he was trying to bait other people into a racist flame war. Perhaps I was wrong, and if so I apologize, but based on the complaints I have received and great_satan's post history I don't think I was in the wrong here.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: Seuss]
    #3618768 - 01/12/05 02:59 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think hes an asshole because of his debating style. I agree with a good portion of what he says. I think I even rated him a five, if not, I hope he'll accept my 5 shroom rating along with me still thinking hes an asshole :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

#3619774 - 01/12/05 06:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3619836 - 01/12/05 06:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Again....How about adding your own thoughts to these links you endlessly provide?

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Edited by Rono (01/12/05 06:15 PM)

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Why was this thread closed? [Re: Rono]
    #3620822 - 01/12/05 09:28 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"Wednesday, August 19, 1998 Published at 12:55 GMT 13:55 UK"

I think that Baltimore, MD, had the highest per capita incidents of homicide than anyother city for 2003, the last year that I have read or heard about.

--------------------

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3620828 - 01/12/05 09:29 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom