Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineballs
thats right
Loc: Ontario, Canada
first casing...need advice
    #3617432 - 01/12/05 10:42 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well Iv already been avidly working on my 5 cakes in the terrarium...but I have 4 more jars still in incubation and would like to make a casing, as Iv heard it yeilds more fruits. I am going by the 50/50+ Casing Tek ( http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7977 )

Will I have to sterilize the peat moss and vermiculite, and if so, how? Microwave?

Once the mycellium forms ontop, after about a week or two I then introduce it to light, should I still do the same 12/12?

In other methods I read about putting saran wrap ontop, so in someone elses opinion, which is the best and most efficient way to do a casing, that works very well and should yeild more fruits?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: first casing...need advice [Re: balls]
    #3617456 - 01/12/05 10:48 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You can sterilize the peat and verm in different ways:
- in the PC :p
- in the oven
- maybe microwave I am not sure.

Saran wrap instead of what? Alufoil?

--------------------

Anonymous

#3617464 - 01/12/05 10:50 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

if you want the best and most efficiant do bulk

Offlineballs
thats right
Re: first casing...need advice [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3617466 - 01/12/05 10:51 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Setting for oven? And yea saran wrap to cover it when placed in the terrarium, to colonize.

Edited by balls (01/12/05 10:52 AM)

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3617490 - 01/12/05 10:58 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yes I know but instead of what, teh saran wrap? You use a casing layer which you sterilize with temps above boiling point, and the total casing you cover with tinfoil or saranwrap or other foil. No matter.

--------------------

Offlineballs
thats right
Re: first casing...need advice [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3617501 - 01/12/05 11:02 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Okay now I see, thanks

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3617694 - 01/12/05 11:51 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i've done casing material in the microwave... but the first time i tried it i lost 4 jars to contamination because i didn't sterilize the casing material well enough.

i'd reccomend oven sterilization more.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: first casing...need advice [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3619098 - 01/12/05 04:02 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Stick it in the microwave for 10 or 15 mins. Make sure there is no organic matter in it. Also adjust ph with hydrated lime and/or use oyster shell or another CACO3 source for a long term buffer.

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: first casing...need advice [Re: KlingonFromUranus]
    #3619265 - 01/12/05 04:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Would fine, "Reptile calcium sand", work? (Not sure if the granual matters? It is CACO3, but may not be small enough to work... (Chalk and shells are slightly softer, though big... sand is hard and crystal like... (Not sure if it would react the same.)

Sorta like saying... Use CARBON... Ok, I have burnt wood, he has a diamond...

Has any-one tried this?

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/12/05 04:27 PM)

Offline_Lucid_
journeyman
 User Gallery
Loc: no-mans land
Re: first casing...need advice [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3619692 - 01/12/05 05:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

first off, do not sterilize your casing! bad idea, you want to pasterize that. meaning throw all your casing ingredients into a pillow case or similar type bag and put it into a big pot of water and cook at 160 F for about 45 mins, use a candy therm to keep an eye on the temp, this will kill any bugs or other nasties in your peatmoss, but leave helpful microbes that will make your mycelium more happy/fight off bacteria and other contams, remember nature isnt sterile, the same goes for bulk straw teks too btw(sorry, live in an appartment, i only have done straw, poo... i dont know, it just doesnt seem like a good idea to me atm, when i get my own house, sure, ill give it a shot then), dont sterlize those, only pasterize. On an other note if your peatmoss happens to have a lot of little sticks and pieces of bark or wood fragments in it i would suggest picking these out, they will do nothing but help to invite contams. As for when to initiate pinning of mushies, this should occur right as the mycelium initialy breaks through the casing layer, you will see white starting to come through in spots, the trick here is to now increase the oxygen getting to your mycelium, add light, and for the first couple days give a good 10 degree drop in temperature, this is called cold shocking, it simulates the mycelium breaking through warm dung into the cold outside or something like that, it makes sence, and it does work. dont wait too long to initiate pinning though, if you waiting too long you will get overlay and well that just sucks and you have then completely nulled the point of having a casing layer in the first place pretty much. as for a 12/12 light cycle, mushrooms are not weed, heh, they are "phototropic" they do not photosynthesize, meaning sertain reseptors sence light and they grow toward it, but they do not use light to create energy to grow. this is why you may have seem some batches of shrooms all twisted and tangled growing all over, they were not given enough light, if any at all... and they are most phototropic toward the blue spectrum btw. and for that bit about calcium, oyster shells are a must have, buy them at a farm supply store, tell them you have chickens and you need some shells to throw into their diet, they need them for strong beaks, i used to feed them to my chickens as a child all the time, what they will do for you is not only add a good ph buffer to your casing, but allow you to pick your mushrooms easier without taking away big chunks of your casing with it. hope i answered most of your questions.

--------------------
The believer is happy, the doubter is wise
- Hungarian proverb

Offlinelargosnook
2 glassesicewaddawiddice
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gettin' Lucky in Kentucky
Re: first casing...need advice [Re: _Lucid_]
    #3619728 - 01/12/05 05:55 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

If I use seran wrap to cover my casing, will the condensation that forms on the underside of the wrap mess up my water content any?

Offline_Lucid_
journeyman
 User Gallery
Loc: no-mans land
    #3619865 - 01/12/05 06:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

well, no, the condensation shouldnt cause any problem as long as its not dripping, a light condensation should be okay, but you still want to have a little bit of air exchange so poke some holes in the seran wrap with a needle. If your not using an incubator and you are worried about contams getting to it through the holes, throw some foil over it loosely, you want to block all light from getting to it anyway.

--------------------
The believer is happy, the doubter is wise
- Hungarian proverb

OfflinePsiliPharmer
Stranger
Shroom Wizard [Re: balls]
    #3766875 - 02/11/05 01:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I read the Shroom Wizard grow guide he says case in potting soil and vermiculite. Is this a good or bad idea? Also he doesn't say anything about sterilizing or pasturizing. just put jars straight into the casing. Is this Bullshit?

--------------------
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." -Dr. Johnson-

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shroom Wizard [Re: PsiliPharmer]
    #3766910 - 02/11/05 02:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I read the Shroom Wizard grow guide he says case in potting soil and vermiculite. Is this a good or bad idea?
Bad. Use coco coir or peat moss instead of potting soil. It could work, but that doesnt make it good.

Also he doesn't say anything about sterilizing or pasturizing. just put jars straight into the casing. Is this Bullshit?
Yes.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #3766939 - 02/11/05 02:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

_Lucid_ said:
first off, do not sterilize your casing! bad idea, you want to pasterize that. meaning throw all your casing ingredients into a pillow case or similar type bag and put it into a big pot of water and cook at 160 F for about 45 mins, use a candy therm to keep an eye on the temp, this will kill any bugs or other nasties in your peatmoss, but leave helpful microbes that will make your mycelium more happy/fight off bacteria and other contams, remember nature isnt sterile, the same goes for bulk straw teks too btw(sorry, live in an appartment, i only have done straw, poo... i dont know, it just doesnt seem like a good idea to me atm, when i get my own house, sure, ill give it a shot then), dont sterlize those, only pasterize.

There is nothing wrong with sterilizing casing material.
Pressure cooking or microwaving casing material is fine...and I suggest doing it.

I think you are confused with bulk substrate and casing material.

Don't sterilize horse manure, cow manure and straw....pasturize them.
These bulk substrate materials have the helpful microbes that you were talking about...and help fight off bacteria and other contams.

Good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineChrisHippyLoser
Dope Smoker

Loc: Big Tex
Re: Shroom Wizard [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3766946 - 02/11/05 02:13 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

jiffy mix isn't half bad either...big bag of it for $3.47 (US) at wally world....its basically a premixed 50/50+...some say that stuff sucks...but a lot of people have had much success with it...just try to pick out as much of the chuncks of wood and stuff as you can...do a search for "jiffy mix" and you'll find plenty of info....gl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck