Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespud303
Pizza Punk.
Loc: 303
curious problem(s)
    #3614555 - 01/11/05 08:04 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Alrighty, here's the deal:
I have 4 PF-Jars (well, cups) that were inoculated on 1/1, and they have the following names:
Equ #1
Equ #2
Aussie #1
Aussie #2
-
Equ #1 was the first to show signs of growth, with Aussie #1 following a day or so later.
The thing is, Neither Equ #2 or Aussie #2 have shown any signs of growth. Theres a slight possibility that my incubation chamber exceeded 104 deg. F, but I'm not so sure about that, because of signs of growth in 1/2 the jars. The 2 that aren't showing signs of growth also have no sign of contamination.
I figure ill give them another week or so to start to colonize, and it is at that point that my questions arise:
Could the problem be not enough/too much of something (i.e. H2O)?

If the jars still haven't shown any signs of growth (or contamination), what would be, in your delightfully experienced, but humble opinions, the optimal choice:
A: simply attempting to re-inoculate the jars, perhaps with more spore solution this time?
B: Re-sterilize the jars, then re-inoculate?
C: Dump the substrate, and try again using fresh BRF/verm?

Also, any suggestions on keeping (or rather, getting) my incubation chamber (2 stacked Rubbermaid crates w/ water + aquarium heater) to maintain a constant temperature? Nights here in D-town get pretty cold (and being poor punx, we cant afford to heat the house), and i notice many temp. fluctuations during my daily checks of my jars. I've been insulating with a towel over the jars and clothes on the side to fill the empty space. Also, my main problem isn't the cold, it's the heat generated --turning down the heater doesn't seem to help, though placement of the thermometer changes the temp. reading, sometimes with changes up to 20 deg. F! I was thinking maybe more space between the jars (they're kinda packed in there) could help stabilize temps?

Any tips/suggestions will be well received. Thanks, and happy birthday.

[edit: changed names of my babies, got Equ and creep mixed up]

--------------------
this is my signature.

Edited by spud303 (01/12/05 08:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: curious problem(s) [Re: spud303]
    #3614716 - 01/11/05 08:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Its hard to say what's the best option without knowing the quality of the cakes. I'd say if thier quality seems equal to the jars that are growing well, and they continue to do well; then sterilize and re-inoculate. If not, try again with new substrate. If you have extra spore solution left though try some sort of grain - popcorn, birdseed, or especially rye berries. Casing is a much better method and not all that hard. The towel over the jars seems a good method of insulation and the water should help balance out the temp. I don't quite get what you mean with the setup though. I'm also thinking that grouping the jars might actually help keep the temperature more stable since they'd act as a group with less surface area to enact change. Consider rotating which jars are on the outside of the group though. Good luck, I hope others chip in with thier advice. That's my humble contribution.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

OfflineGrasshopaWilkins
bitchwhat
 User Gallery

#3614728 - 01/11/05 08:49 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

no growth could be from alot of things. if you didnt cool the syringe tip good enough after sterilizing and before innoc. it could kill the spores. too much of something (brf, water, etc.) could be the culprit too.

dump and remake the jars if youre gonna go down that road.

in the future check out the mexican strain of cubies. theyre more temperature tolerant.

--------------------
without love in a dream itll never come true.

Offlinespud303
Pizza Punk.
Loc: 303
Re: curious problem(s) [Re: GrasshopaWilkins]
    #3614871 - 01/11/05 09:23 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

well i do have other strains that im going to try, including "mexi-cub", just havnt had the space or the time.
Also, i forgot to add, the jars all have the same h2o/verm/BRF ratios.

Thanks for your quick replies :smile::):)

--------------------
this is my signature.

Edited by spud303 (01/11/05 09:31 PM)

OfflineGrasshopaWilkins
bitchwhat
 User Gallery

#3614908 - 01/11/05 09:29 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

the mexi-cub strain is the one i was refering to as the temperature tolerant one.

--------------------
without love in a dream itll never come true.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder