Home | Community | Message Board


Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Registered: 05/07/04
Posts: 448
Loc: somewhere
Apple users
    #3614698 - 01/11/05 10:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

has anyone seen the new Mac mini. http://www.apple.com/macmini/
I've been thinking about getting a mac don't know why really something different i guess.This one is affordable. i think ill give it a go for sure. question first. would there be an advantage of any kind to having a Mac over the PC.I hear there pretty good multimedia machines and I'm an amateur photographer so maybe i could use it as my photo editor,and music.I'm also getting into home video. Freeing my PC from those task would be cool i think.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 04/27/01
Posts: 23,480
Loc: Caribbean
Last seen: 25 days, 22 hours
Re: Apple users [Re: Cosm]
    #3616913 - 01/12/05 08:33 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

> would there be an advantage of any kind to having a Mac over the PC.

Yes or no, it depends upon what you are doing.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Registered: 05/07/04
Posts: 448
Loc: somewhere
Re: Apple users [Re: Seuss]
    #3617011 - 01/12/05 09:38 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

what would the advantage be.what would you do with a Mac that would have an advantage over a PC.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

Registered: 06/26/99
Posts: 5,355
Last seen: 30 days, 1 hour
Re: Apple users [Re: Cosm]
    #3617225 - 01/12/05 11:29 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

well for one, mac osx is easier (in my opinion) to use over say windows xp. osx is piss easy to use.

in regards to design programs like photoshop or other adobe programs, i've noticed my mac performs much better in certain things thank it does when i use those programs on my pc.

if you're into video editing...then final cut pro is only available for mac. final cut pro is bloody brilliant.

just a few months ago i bought a mac to use for school. i don't regret my investment in a mac at all.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Registered: 06/14/04
Posts: 10,329
Loc: On the Border
Re: Apple users [Re: Cosm]
    #3620424 - 01/12/05 10:08 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Macs don't get virus'.


--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Registered: 08/08/97
Posts: 16,833
Loc: NY/MA/VT Border, USA Flag
Re: Apple users [Re: Cosm]
    #3620708 - 01/12/05 11:03 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

For $499 you could get a PC which I guarantee would be faster and more full-featured, even for traditionally Mac-centric programs like Photoshop. OSX is definitely the most technologically advanced consumer OS on the market right now but it doesn't really matter when you're locked into a proprietary hardware platform with an extremely limited software library. Windows XP is not at all shabby, for day-to-day use I'd say it's 95% as powerful as OSX and with SP2 it really is quite secure. Of course Mac will always be ahead in that department because nobody bothers to write virii or spyware for an OS with no marketshare. However, securing a Windows PC using freely available software is very very easy. I really don't see any reason to buy a Mac except for extremely specialized applications. Don't get stuck out in the cold when all your friends are raving about the coolest new (PC only) game or P2P application. Forget about the Mac, I promise you won't regret it.

-Y

P.S. I recommend you check out these refurbished Dell desktops or (even better) have a local shop build a machine to your specifications.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Registered: 04/06/04
Posts: 1,265
Loc: NY
Last seen: 2 years, 6 months
Re: Apple users [Re: Ythan]
    #3622305 - 01/13/05 05:30 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

price wise a mac will never be better than a PC. trust me i have both. and i got my mac just to be diffrent, and try OSX not because it can do anything more than a pc, because it cant. i use linux most of the time and have a osx file server. but a group is working on software where you will be able to run all OSX code on x86 arch through linux in the future. right now its all command line stuff, but they are saying it wont be long till the whole OS will work on a PC


--------------------
[url=http://kratom.tcotu.net Low Priced, High Quality Kratom[/url]


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 04/27/01
Posts: 23,480
Loc: Caribbean
Last seen: 25 days, 22 hours
Re: Apple users [Re: AhronZombi]
    #3622578 - 01/13/05 10:13 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

> For $499 you could get a PC which I guarantee would be faster

*grin* I understand what you are saying, but I am fairly certain that I could write an application that would perform faster on the $499 mac than on any $499 wintel system. (I am assuming that you cannot build a 64-bit wintel solution for under $500.)

> Of course Mac will always be ahead in that department because nobody bothers to write virii or spyware for an OS with no marketshare.

Writing a virus for the Mac would be like writing a virus for Linux... Although marketshare is part of the picture, the difficulty of infecting a unix based OS is the real reason we don't see many mac (or linux) virus'.

> well for one, mac osx is easier

Correct. A lot easier. Most of the Mac applications are easier to use as well.

> with an extremely limited software library

This is the real problem with the Mac, or any non-windows OS... lack of applications. This cannot be stressed enough. It is extremly frustrating to try and use a decent computing system when everybody else in the world is using windows. There is a thin sliver of applications available on the Mac that really shine, but there is a huge area that has no software coverage at all.

> Windows XP is not at all shabby, for day-to-day use I'd say it's 95% as powerful as OSX and with SP2 it really is quite secure.

Define not too shabby... the winxp I use at work doesn't blue screen as often as all the other microsoft OSes that I have used, but it is nothing to brag about. Win xp is huge, bloated, slow, buggy, and insecure. I just had to install two critical patches yesterday because somebody could take over my machine if I visited a bad web site... real secure. Lets not even talk about spyware, malware, and virus'... yet another example of microsoft security in action.

The main thing that I like about Apple/Mac is the unix core of the OS. I can run x-window applications, I can get a bash shell prompt, I can run apache web server, compile programs with gcc, etc. What I don't like about the mac is the closed propietary nature of the hardware, the lack of applications, and the immaturity of parts of the OS.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 07/16/00
Posts: 10,701
Loc: ohio
Last seen: 21 hours, 2 minutes
Re: Apple users [Re: Seuss]
    #3622847 - 01/13/05 12:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Apple sucks ass for the very reason it lacks software and games.

What good is a great OS if there is no software for it.


--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Registered: 08/08/97
Posts: 16,833
Loc: NY/MA/VT Border, USA Flag
Re: Apple users [Re: baraka]
    #3623231 - 01/13/05 02:26 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I am assuming that you cannot build a 64-bit wintel solution for under $500.




Hmm let's build a PC with similar specs (prices include shipping):

Barebones Athlon 64 3000+ System - $225
256MB PC2700 - $23
40GB 7200 RPM EIDE - $37
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive - $33
ATI Radeon 9200 (64 MB) - $36
And not like anyone actually pays for it but just to be fair...
Windows XP Home (OEM) - $30

Grand total: $384

Shit you can add a monitor and peripherals and it will still be cheaper! And I bet it will run quite a bit faster too although I have no benchmarks to back up that claim.

Quote:

Writing a virus for the Mac would be like writing a virus for Linux... Although marketshare is part of the picture, the difficulty of infecting a unix based OS is the real reason we don't see many mac (or linux) virus'.




Well if you run as root under any OS it's easy to get a virus. Perform your day-to-day tasks in XP using a restricted account and you have much less to worry about. Or you could just install a good, free antivirus package (like AVG) and be done with it.

Quote:

Win xp is huge, bloated, slow, buggy, and insecure.




Pretty subjective judgements IMHO, I agree it's bloated but you can disable any features you don't want. On my system (pretty old 1GHz deal) it runs faster that Windows 2000 did. Buggy? I just don't see it... I think it's pretty solid personally. Anyway this isn't a fair comparison because XP is designed to run on virtually any configuration of commodity hardware while OSX only runs on limited configurations of proprietary hardware. It's a tradeoff. But yeah I don't think it will ever be as secure as OSX (or DOS for that matter, when was the last time you got a DOS virus or saw a DOS exploit in the wild?)

Quote:

I just had to install two critical patches yesterday because somebody could take over my machine if I visited a bad web site... real secure.




You say that like it's a bad thing Microsoft releases security fixes. I have auto-update enabled and already had these patches installed when I woke up in the morning. Not that I even needed them, who the hell uses IE these days anyway?

I'm not going to argue this point too much though, Microsoft could definitely speed up their security response...

Quote:

The main thing that I like about Apple/Mac is the unix core of the OS. I can run x-window applications, I can get a bash shell prompt, I can run apache web server, compile programs with gcc, etc.




Of course most of this is possible on Windows too, although not natively. But I agree with you man. OSX is one killer Unix OS. I wish it ran on regular PCs. However someone requesting help picking out a computer probably doesn't care too much about the ability to use regular expressions on the command line...

But really I think we agree on most things, we just weigh the importance of security and technical prowess (OSX) and application/hardware support and price (XP) differently. Maybe we made some points that will help Cosm decide where he stands.

Peace,

-Y the Wintel Apologist


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Registered: 05/07/04
Posts: 448
Loc: somewhere
Re: Apple users [Re: Cosm]
    #3623375 - 01/13/05 03:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Well i appreciate all the input.I think i like the Mac because i can edit photos and videos easily without spending much time into figuring out how to do it.As i have many hobbies and with work i don't have much time to invest in such matters.Allot of good software for the PC are complex and time consuming.
Would there be a difference in the photo and video editors between the two as far as quality?
Why not have a Mac, there are basically two types of computers for the home user, PC and Mac.I have a PC so i think ill get a Mac and discover the differences, i can always build a new PC.So I think it would be neat to have a Mac also.
As far as choosing one or the other i would choose a PC,but I've never used a Mac so i really dunno.I think ill go with both....


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Registered: 03/01/01
Posts: 6,870
Loc: Chocolate City
Last seen: 7 years, 1 month
Re: Apple users [Re: Cosm]
    #3623802 - 01/13/05 04:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

PC's suck. I think microsoft invented the word "CRASH"


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Registered: 03/20/02
Posts: 2,693
Loc: Midwest
Last seen: 2 years, 11 months
Re: Apple users [Re: BrAiN]
    #3623991 - 01/13/05 05:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Macs are cool and flashy but useless, everybody gets them just to be different and unique. Sure mac has final cut pro but windows can run premiere and photoshop just fine. I have XP pro customized, it looks just like windows 98 and runs solid as hell, it NEVER EVER....EVER crashes. And if you don't want viruses or spyware don't download dumb little programs from zdnet or cnet and don't use kazaa. Oh yea.......do you like to play computer GAMES? I sure do....
I do own an Apple iPod though, nice product! :smirk:


--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Registered: 03/01/01
Posts: 6,870
Loc: Chocolate City
Last seen: 7 years, 1 month
Re: Apple users [Re: Cubieman420]
    #3625009 - 01/13/05 09:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hahahaha xp crashes like a mofo


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Registered: 01/11/04
Posts: 3,648
Last seen: 4 years, 6 months
Re: Apple users [Re: BrAiN]
    #3625134 - 01/13/05 09:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BrAiN said:
hahahaha xp crashes like a mofo




Yeah, it really doesn't...99% of the XP crashes I would say are user error, because XP is quite stable.

Now if you open up like 10000 applications and start burning a DVD while running Prime95 then yeah, it'll crash.


--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Registered: 03/20/02
Posts: 2,693
Loc: Midwest
Last seen: 2 years, 11 months
Re: Apple users [Re: freddurgan]
    #3625749 - 01/13/05 11:32 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If I ever have a program error I can ALWAYS go to task manager and simply exit out of it. I am serious man, with the right amount of RAM and correct user settings XP is extremely stable. Oh yeah....hows half-life 2 or doom 3 running on those apples.....yeah...sorry.....couldn't help it :rolleyes:


--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 07/16/00
Posts: 10,701
Loc: ohio
Last seen: 21 hours, 2 minutes
Re: Apple users [Re: freddurgan]
    #3629295 - 01/14/05 07:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

XP is stable for me.


--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemoosehead
poop deck
 User Gallery

Registered: 02/04/02
Posts: 9,737
Loc: pnw
Last seen: 5 days, 18 hours
Re: Apple users [Re: Cubieman420]
    #3631046 - 01/15/05 02:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If you dont give a shit about video games then apple is just fine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Registered: 09/18/03
Posts: 7,865
Re: Apple users [Re: moosehead]
    #3631302 - 01/15/05 03:51 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

XP is stable for me too. i think the secret is AVG antivirus and using firefox or opera as a browser.


--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Gates' Microsoft Will Provide Support For Linux daimyo 783 5 12/16/08 07:40 PM
by Stonehenge
* Microsoft and Linux - SCO all over again Vvellum 982 3 11/20/06 03:37 PM
by Diploid
* Differences between freeBSD and linux?
( 1 2 all )
Colonel Kurtz Ph.D
3,411 30 05/01/07 10:52 PM
by delta9
* Apple Software HighTek 405 1 09/03/08 09:13 PM
by AhronZombi
* Installing linux on a Thinkpad 600E - recommendations? OJK 1,419 8 02/13/06 10:30 PM
by debianlinux
* FreeBSD vs. Linux (or other free unix type systems) Solutarch 607 2 11/27/05 03:36 PM
by Solutarch
* Thinking about switching to Linux, need your help
( 1 2 all )
moog 3,536 31 05/25/05 02:26 PM
by MAIA
* Thinking of going Apple.
( 1 2 all )
Scratcher 2,044 23 11/05/04 09:06 PM
by Vvellum

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Lana, trendal, Diploid, automan
879 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.064 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 14 queries.