Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Official Statement On New Forum Creation
    #3613824 - 01/11/05 05:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Every month the administrators receive numerous suggestions for new forums, from Dreams to Pet Care to Outdoor Cultivation and everything in between. While many of those forums sound interesting and would probably contain stimulating discussion, we remain reluctant to add them to our BB. I wanted to make this post to clarify our position a little bit, so people will understand when it's worthwhile to suggest a forum and why a (perfectly good) suggestion for a forum would be rejected.

Clearly, we can't add a forum every time there's a request. We probably receive 2 or 3 requests a week, and if we granted them all (or even a substantial portion of them) our list of public forums quickly would balloon from 26 to 100+. Why is this a problem? First of all, it would overwhelm new users who aren't yet familiar with the BB. Before starting a thread they'd have to read through the descriptions of dozens of forums before finding the appropriate one. Obviously not all users are going to do this, so it also creates additional work for our moderators who are ultimately the ones responsible for keeping posts properly categorized. Not even the admins would escape unscathed. We'd end up with numerous dead forums which should really be closed, but they'd all have a few diehard fans who would protest this action to their last breath.

Of course these issues are, to some degree, inherent in running a bulletin board and we can't expect to avoid them entirely. We're not going to sit on a good forum idea just because it might create a little more work for us. The problem is that the vast majority of forum suggestions are redundant because people come at it the wrong way. Instead of asking yourself "What would be a cool new forum?", ask "Which existing forums are overcrowded and how could they be logically split?"

For instance, I like PHP programming. If we had a PHP forum I'd be posting in there every day. At the same time, we have the perfectly good, moderately trafficked Science and Technology forum which is absolutely appropriate for PHP discussion. If I want to get more specific, I can head to any one of the numerous PHP developer communities on the Internet. There is no reason to create an additional forum when an existing one would suffice, no matter how cool I think it would be.

On the other hand, if we saw a sudden influx of computer geeks for whatever reason and the Science and Technology forum took off, then we'd have a reason to reconsider. We won't create a forum because it's "cool", but we'd definitely create one to fill a void. When it becomes difficult to keep up with the Science and Technology forum because of the glut of PHP topics, then I'll get my forum. Likewise for you guys. Before suggesting a forum, consider: is it really necessary or is it just a "pet" topic of yours? Would it be more practical to change the description of an existing forum to encompass these posts? Would the new forum generate enough traffic to justify its existence? Now if you give the matter extensive thought and decide the best solution is clearly a new forum, by all means post a suggestion! However if you're not so sure how your idea holds up against those criteria, it's safe to assume that (at least for the moment) a new forum might not be the best solution.

Anyway I hope this clears things up a bit, if anybody has any questions or comments please let me know!

Peace,

-Y

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Official Statement On New Forum Creation [Re: Ythan]
    #3614429 - 01/11/05 07:29 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I understand that position.. and being admin on my own message board now I know exactly what you mean.. granted it isn't even 1/10th of the size of the Shroomery..but we still get requests for forums for this and that.

I know I was one of the ones doing a lot of pushing for new forums.. sorry don't mean to be a pest.. I was basically speaking for the community because I agreed. I understand we don't need a bunch of new forums and what kind of confusion that would cause.. but there's still a few issues.

For example.. Science is basically overwhelmed by Technology topics in S&T.. I rarely see actual science being discussed in there.. it's 90% computer stuff.. does this not justify a Computers and Technology forum? Science should have it's own realm.. maybe in S&P :crazy:.. maybe Computers and Technology a sub-forum of science. I don't know.. but the forum might as well be called computers and technology as it is.

Technically, one could merge culinary arts with physical and mental health..and to appease the outdoors forum people.. you could just alter the description of "Gatherings, Travel and the Outdoors" :wink:

As for member created forums as part of a supporter program, I think that's a good idea.. and would give many incentive enough alone to sign up. That might get crazy though, if a ton of people sign up.. then you might have those 100+ forums.

--------------------

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
    #3629496 - 01/14/05 06:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I understand that position.. and being admin on my own message board now I know exactly what you mean.. granted it isn't even 1/10th of the size of the Shroomery..but we still get requests for forums for this and that.

I also have run into this on my past site, as well as my new site.

The biggest problem I have seen with going w/ everyones suggested forums, is the fact 50% love it, and 50% thinks the new forums "clutter" the boards.

I also see ythans thought process in his decision, and it is HIS site, but I found to keep my sites not only functional, but to ensure as much patron satisfaction as possible, is I keep the thought that " without members, there would be no "yadda-yadda.com" .

Unless it is a blatant disregard for site regulations, I put all MEMBER suggested forum idea's to a vote.

This keeps admin and moderators from swaying the vote with their own beliefs and opinions.... with as many different beliefs people have on the net, I would be a bit egotistical thinking me and my staff could have the answers to the perfect website.

Though i have only personally suggested 2 forums, i have seen many EXCELLENT idea's shot down in flames, usually under the heading of "we're a shroom site, not a (insert topic) site..... then there is a turn around, and a completely out of topic forum is made....... this not only creates friction between site staff and members, but it makes the member feel like they arent really apprreciated and their opinions doesnt count.

If as you say, the forum is already a part of current topic, I could see why you would want to combine them, BUT what about new and fresh idea's? Both of my previous suggested forums, not only couldnt be combined with the current forums, they also had other members support, so it wasnt just a "pet" topic of mine. I was black balled because my suggestions wasnt "shroom related" of course just a few weeks later we (you) added forums that was even farther from being shroom related than my suggestions, and with a heck of a lot less other member support.

Again being an admin i do know you have to keep some sort of "neatness" to the boards, as new people especially get lost an a massive board, but i do feel that if a large majority of the active MEMBERS thinks a topic is a good idea, the admins should look into the idea a bit harder then they do, and when they decline, there should be a bit more of an explanations than " this is a shroom site not a .....site"
The shroomery lost the right to use that explanation when it added its very first non-shroom forum.

Quote:

On a related note, we're considering the possibility of offering member-created forums as part of our (perpetually "soon to be released") supporter program. These would probably be hosted on a separate copy of the BB but would share member accounts with this one. Supporters would be able to create their own forums, over which they'd exercise complete administrative control. I'm curious if you guys think this would be a useful feature and how many people would actually take advantage of it.

this sounds cool, especially if you could let others access " your BB" say from your profile

--------------------
ISO: Orissa, Malabar, z strain

Offlinejonimuth63
Stranger
Re: Official Statement On New Forum Creation [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #3663121 - 01/22/05 03:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

PAIN MANAGEMENT LOTS OF PEOPLE NEED TO SPEAK ABOUT IT. IT HELPS US, TO SEE HOW OTHERS ARE DEALING WITH IT.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #3674751 - 01/24/05 09:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Not even a tomato-growing forum? Oh, alright then....  :wink:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineLysergicRide
Excuse me while I kiss the sky!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Official Statement On New Forum Creation [Re: Diploid]
    #4611547 - 09/02/05 03:23 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

What? You mean we can't have a "Blue people who like to dance naked in the street" forum?

I demand a boycott of the shroomery until that there is a dedicated forum for that!

--------------------
The fool on the hill sees the sun going down... And the eyes in his head see the world spinning around

"I can't tell if I'm coming up or down"

Invisibleadrug

Re: Official Statement On New Forum Creation [Re: Shroomism]
    #4621968 - 09/05/05 09:20 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Replying to 8 month old threads for no reason?

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Re: Official Statement On New Forum Creation [Re: adrug]
    #4621972 - 09/05/05 09:25 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

guh guh guh guh guh goood morrrrrning.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

InvisibleDragonaut

#4624574 - 09/06/05 03:34 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Replying to Shroomism for what reason? :rolleyes:

--------------------
:dragon:

Invisibleadrug

Re: Official Statement On New Forum Creation [Re: Dragonaut]
    #4626493 - 09/06/05 05:27 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Good question...must have clicked click reply? What's it matter to you?

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Loc: Darkover
    #5262358 - 02/04/06 12:16 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

adrug said:

I'm sure you mean replying to your own 8 month old unread threads for no reason!?
Ah but seriously, where do I post my suggestion ?
As for splitting existing forums an "Environment and Ecology" forum would probably split "Politics, Activism and Law", "Gourmet and Medicinal" and "Physical and Mental Wellbeing"
I really don't want to sound sanctimonius but I honestly believe that if environmental science/ecology is not part of what we do we must reliquish any right to describe ourselves as shaman.
However folks, I'm stating right now that I would not be able to spare the time to get involved with it's administration, I'm not "officially" qualified anyway, so its an idea I'm just gonna let run.

Edited by Silverwolf (02/04/06 12:55 PM)

Invisibleadrug

Re: Official Statement On New Forum Creation [Re: Silverwolf]
    #5269652 - 02/06/06 02:21 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Silverwolf said:
Quote:

adrug said:

I'm sure you mean replying to your own 8 month old unread threads for no reason!?

Uh....what? This thread was started by Ythan. Not you. Not the guy I was originally replying to. Unless you're Ythan, what you said made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Anyway, I was originally replying to someone by the name of LysergicRide.

The guy who bumped the thread for no reason.

5 months ago.

Sheesh!

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

#5270692 - 02/06/06 06:12 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

adrug said:
Quote:

Silverwolf said:
Quote:

adrug said:

Uh....what? This thread was started by Ythan. Not you. Not the guy I was originally replying to. Unless you're Ythan, what you said made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Anyway, I was originally replying to someone by the name of LysergicRide.

The guy who bumped the thread for no reason.

5 months ago.

Sheesh!

Loc: lost. So am I now!

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

Edited by Silverwolf (02/06/06 06:13 PM)

Invisibleadrug

#5273701 - 02/07/06 02:26 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Well, that's pretty obvious. :smirk:

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

#5298459 - 02/14/06 09:12 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Silverwolf said:
Quote:

adrug said:

Ah but seriously, where do I post my suggestion ?
As for splitting existing forums an "Environment and Ecology" forum would probably split "Politics, Activism and Law", "Gourmet and Medicinal" and "Physical and Mental Wellbeing"
I really don't want to sound sanctimonius but I honestly believe that if environmental science/ecology is not part of what we do we must reliquish any right to describe ourselves as shaman.
However folks, I'm stating right now that I would not be able to spare the time to get involved with it's administration, I'm not "officially" qualified anyway, so its an idea I'm just gonna let run.

Hey guys, are you seriously saying no-one wants to talk about this (Christ, if I'm in the wrong place let me know -to say suggesting new forums was unpopular would be an understatement..mutter..-!)?!

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5462792 - 03/31/06 05:08 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I would like a "Goobler's Grotto" forum please, where I would rule supreme. I could assign Mods, change names, Ban people etc..

I think this is a great idea.....

Oh and I could pay a 'rental' fee so its all business like

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Official Statement On New Forum Creation [Re: goobler]
    #5462860 - 03/31/06 06:13 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Official Statement On New Forum Creation [Re: goobler]
    #5462902 - 03/31/06 06:51 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

goobler said:
I would like a "Goobler's Grotto" forum please, where I would rule supreme.  I could assign Mods, change names, Ban people etc..

I think this is a great idea.....

Oh and I could pay a 'rental' fee so its all business like

there are plenty of websites where you can make your own forum for free where you can rule supreme :laugh:

Invisiblegiz
daydreamer
Male

Loc: EU
Re: Official Statement On New Forum Creation [Re: stefan]
    #5462921 - 03/31/06 07:02 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Make a forum where all requested forums are made as subforums and those subforums that arent beeing used any in a 2 month period gets deleted. those who gets popular stays :P

i want a fish breeding forum btw

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Official Statement On New Forum Creation [Re: stefan]
    #5462929 - 03/31/06 07:05 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

wooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo

/runs off

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder