Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
contam or not
    #3611982 - 01/11/05 11:52 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

HI, i'm new at this whole thing and its my first time trying to grow. I won't be surprised if you tell me to through it out, but had i did what this site and the download on it says i would have thrown them out when everything first appeared. But its about day 12 and 2 out of 3 jars are finally starting to go crazy. But one of those jars i'm unsure about. Now when you say that the mycelium is white, well i seen that. But what color does it start as. I'm using whole rye grain, and i'm bad with colors when there faint. But when you look at the start of growth it looks grayish in color to me. And i've noticed that all the gray spots i've seen pop up have all turned bright white. I even noticed that its not bright white everywhere, only around the edges of expansion. But anyway the question i have is there is a spot on my jar where there are a few grains that look gray. Is this normal? And if it is a contam could i separate it out an use the good mycelium on the opposite side of the jar to inoculate another jar? I check my jars twice a day 12 hours apart, and it just appeared overnight. And i've read that if its a contam to through the whole thing out, and i just can't see why you couldn't use some of what might still be good, have you tried it? I'm not trying too question your info and i understand that the contam and mycelium can share a nutrient network and make the mushies harmful to your health, but if you were to dissect the jar with extreme precaution and only used the grains that are farthest away from the contam, would it work? My jars are not fully colonized and as of now nothing on the outside is touching or close to it, except for a large spot of mycelium growing around it. Any help would be appreciated. ANd if the answer is to just throw it out i guess i'll just have to grin an bear it.  :frown:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: contam or not [Re: sylumcase]
    #3612048 - 01/11/05 12:12 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i've had growth be weak and it looks rather wispy and greyish.. but if you're getting good, strong, white growth from this area as well, i would not be too concerned.

a picture would help SO much, but i also do not post pictures.

can you describe the growth better? are you getting ropey strands of growth, or is it only fuzz? the ropey strands grow together in a direction usually...

if you got a contam, certain contams create toxins that are very harmful to your body. the mycelium could take this toxin in and spread it throughout the entire mycelial network and up into any fruits you got, potentially making you sick or DEAD. people can DIE from certain contaminates. i'm not trying to scare you, just letting you know that if you're not careful, some bad things can happen.

"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Re: contam or not [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3629446 - 01/14/05 07:50 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Finally my internet is working again. Thanks for the help, but it is a contam, it think. It is gray and and when disturbed it throws off a powder, i found this out when i dropped the jar. The only thing that irritates me is it was my best jar, on 3 sides of the jar I had strong growth. Everything that this site said i was supposed to have. Real good ropey strands and everything. But where the spot was it wasn't doing so well. I separated it out and put it somewhere else, just to see what happens. I'm new and i want to see if it progresses or if it recesses. I'm not gonna fruit it, i just wanna see if the myc will takes it over. The spots been there for about 4 days and it hasn't got any bigger, but the myc around it has gotten bigger, few ropey strands, though its not showing the vigorous growth as the other side.

Thanks for the help, and may all your jars not have the same fate as my first one did.:(

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation