Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCrystaline
Stranger
I think my shrooms are contaminated... Are they?
    #3606836 - 01/10/05 07:28 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I had to leave them for 4 days and my useless brother was incapable apparently to take proper care of them, what do you think of those? Is the mature one good to cut or is it contaminated? What about the tiny ones, should I get rid of them? Is that cobweb mold? Pfff I'm so lost; I come back and see this, just felt like smacking him as hard as I could :p...
If the mature one is okay, I should cut it straight away, right? But at the bottom of the stem, is this contamination or just bruising?

Please give me advice on what to do next lol, I took good care of them but my brother managed to screw everything up in 4 days ARGH. Thanks for any suggestions :wink:. Here are the pics.

P.S.: I'll make another pic right now of the other big shroom, I think I can't use it; looks kind of odd, I think he forgot, among other things, to make sure the cap didn't touch the terrarium's sides (therefore stayed humid for days). Is it possible to use it or heal it or should I just throw it away? (I'll post the pic in a few mins to show you what it looks like close-up).

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: I think my shrooms are contaminated... Are they? [Re: Crystaline]
    #3606850 - 01/10/05 07:43 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

the white fluff looks like mycelium to me, in humid environments it grows on the base of the stems.
Maybe you should raise your airexchange. High co2 level can cause the long stems and relative small cap.

The couloured spot at the base looks like rotting. Harvest (twist and pull)the shrooms and cut the rot away.

--------------------

OfflineCrystaline
Stranger
Re: I think my shrooms are contaminated... Are they? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3606903 - 01/10/05 08:13 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm I see... And what about the colour of the small shrooms? Think I should take everything out and wait for the next flush?

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3606969 - 01/10/05 08:49 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

other than that odd, mottled spot (which i really can't tell you if it is "rot" or not)... they look fine.

how's your humidity/air exchange? your mushrooms look a little deprived.

why the hell are they outside?

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineCrystaline
Stranger
Re: I think my shrooms are contaminated... Are they? [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3607056 - 01/10/05 09:58 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Just took em outside to make the pics, but how could I increase the air exchange? My growkit is in a terrarium with an air filter, guess they don't get enough air but how could I improve on that then? I just got rid of all the shrooms in it, kept what looked good to consume and put my kit back in the dark for more mycelium to grow and hope for a better flush next time around. There were so few that I didn't feel bad, I just hate my bro now :p.

I started spraying water twice a day at first, 3 sprays each time, then realized that with that terrarium it made it too humid (a layer of water formed underneath the kit on the terrarium's surface, not too good) so now I'm watering them according to my judgement. Am I wrong to do this? Hehe as a newbie grower I need all the advice and tips I can get, because what I've read helped a lot, but with my set-up, you people can give me even better advice :smile:. I'll post pics of the terrarium later today...

Edited by Crystaline (01/10/05 10:01 AM)

OfflinePorchMonkey321
Mycophile

#3607081 - 01/10/05 10:12 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The big one looks like it is a little rotted on the bottom, so twist it off and cut the rot off, and make sure to get the rot out of your casing. The little ones are aborts, and they're good, too. I wish you hadn't thrown them away, they are sometimes more potent than their larger, successful kin.

As far as air exchange goes, run up to wally world or any pet store and spend a few dollars on a cheap air pump. Have the hoses come in at the top of the terrarium and an exhaust hole somewhere near the bottom on the other side. It will provide adequate air exchange for your mushies.

Casings require much lower RH than cakes do, so if you see collected water on the bottom of your fruiting chamber, its too moist in there. Spray less often, and put a drain hole on the bottom of your chamber.

Taking it outside probably doomed that casing, lots of nasties in the air to infect your grow. Hope I'm wrong though. Good luck!

OfflineCrystaline
Stranger
Re: I think my shrooms are contaminated... Are they? [Re: PorchMonkey321]
    #3607097 - 01/10/05 10:19 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

For the outside, I doubt there are more nasties than there are in my room, gotta clean it up it's such a junkyard hehe. I always sprayed water outside on the balcony, thinking the air is cleaner, but if you think that I shouldn't be doing this I'll take your word for it, noob growers need all the help they can get to be successful with these mushies. If it does fail, I'll just start again with cakes, but my hopes are still up, I'll keep you informed on that. The little ones, damn wish I'd known, they were really tiny and were ugly in colour, thought it would be safer to get rid of them.

One question I had in mind though, how hard is it to make spore syringes without messing up? I had a look at how to do them, but it seems to be quite a precise process... And where can you buy the syringes? Because my growkit won't last forever (maybe another 3 flushes if it continues growing) so eventually I'll need to make a couple. Thanks for your help guys, keep it up :wink:!

Edited by Crystaline (01/10/05 10:23 AM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3607239 - 01/10/05 11:28 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

there are several teks in the FAQ, read and follow them closely and you shouldnt have a problem

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3329

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3608363 - 01/10/05 05:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation