Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRazman
Stranger

idea for incubation chamber
    #3606596 - 01/10/05 04:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i'm going to use the common "smaller container in a bigger container" setup with a water heater + thermostat. Lets say instead of just a bigger container, i'd use a big insulated cooler? it would be completely sealed off -- is this okay? The water heater would hardly ever have to run if the heat cant escape..
im just worried about oversealing and depriving the mycilium (???)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: idea for incubation chamber [Re: Razman]
    #3606644 - 01/10/05 04:42 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

? im not real to sure what u are saying about depriving the mycelium if it is an incubation chamber the growing mycelium would be. well anyways I did the cooler thing just don't get a huge fish tank heater( I thought bigger is better but didn't fit in cooler) a small one will do justice make sure it has a temp control on it. and a milk jug works good for a water container or even better a 1-gal vinegar bottle. :smirk:

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3606672 - 01/10/05 04:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You do NOT want to "completely seal off" the incubation chamber. As mycelium grows it gives off gases and these gases need to be able to escape or you will start seeing stalled growths and long incubation times.

--------------------

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: idea for incubation chamber [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3606680 - 01/10/05 05:09 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

during incubation the mycelium is not mixing with outside air.
"After inoculation of the jars, tighten the lid bands and retape the needle holes. Place the jars in a safe place out of direct sunlight. Indirect light is all that is required. If the temperature is kept around 70 degrees, germination will begin within 3 to 5 days."
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23593/pag/2
If u retape the holes up what does it matter if u seal up a cooler?
"Incubation The period after Inoculation (preferably at a temperature optimal for mycelial growth) during which the Mycelium grows vegetatively " http://www.shroomery.org/glossary.php?ltr=I

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: idea for incubation chamber [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #3607465 - 01/10/05 01:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I see what youre saying about heat loss, but youre not doing this outside ( I hope ) I dont think that the difference in room temp and incubation temp would have a great deal of loss of temp.
I have noticed quite a bit of difference in growth between having your innoc points taped and just having foil over the lid ( with a lid that is upside down + not tight ) It seems that when you use just foil, when you flip, it seems to speed up the colonization process. I would never want my jars exposed to light tho.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #3607514 - 01/10/05 01:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Razman said:
i'm going to use the common "smaller container in a bigger container" setup with a water heater + thermostat. Lets say instead of just a bigger container, i'd use a big insulated cooler? it would be completely sealed off -- is this okay? The water heater would hardly ever have to run if the heat cant escape..
im just worried about oversealing and depriving the mycilium (???)

The benefit of using the smaller container in the larger container is that your jars aren't sitting dirrectly in the water.

If you use the insulated cooler...I suggest using something to raise the jars out of the water.
You don't want to get water from the incubator into your jars during incubation.

Good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinedjmaloney_aries
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: idea for incubation chamber [Re: Roadkill]
    #19728040 - 03/21/14 02:11 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I was thinking about making a incubation box from a cooler and a heat mat + temp controller. I will be attempting this project this weekend and  will let you know how it goes. Currently I just have a heat mat stuck to the bottom of a large aquarium. It keeps the jars warm, but there is alot of unused space that I am trying to heat. I figured if I just cut the bottom portion of a cooler off, leaving the inside chamber in tack, stick the heat pad on the bottom of the internal chamber of the cooler, then replace the Styrofoam and outer shell of the cooler, this would be a perfect chamber. Of course, I would just drill a hole through the side of the cooler for my temp probe.

OfflinePussyFartM
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: idea for incubation chamber [Re: djmaloney_aries]
    #19728054 - 03/21/14 02:14 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

This thread is 9 years old, and incubation is outdated.....

Heating pads will only hurt your grow.

If you insist on incubating your jars, build a TiT incubator....

Frank's tub-in-tub incubator

Jars/bags/tubs/trays should colonize @ room temperature getting ambient/indirect light.

Main pinning triggers are full colonization, FAE and Evaporation off of the substrate.

Light is a secondary pinning trigger. For tropical species temperature is not a pinning factor.

P. Cubensis are a tropical species. You could colonize at 70F and fruit at 80F with great results.

Light has been proven beneficial during all stages of mycellium growth. Mushrooms like mammals have a circadian rhythm.

You want ambient/indirect light(on a 12/12 schedule preferably) for colonization and consolidation.

You want direct/intense 6500K light on a 12/12 schedule for fruiting.

Optimal temps are mid 70s throughout the whole grow, but anywhere from 65F-80F is acceptable.

Incubation is outdated/uneeded unless temps in the range stated above cannot be kept.

The inside of the jar is always a few degrees warmer than the outside because the mycellium produces heat..mycellium tends to stall at temps above 86F , and contams thrive.

Fruiting at cooler temps tends to produce denser, meatier fruits, while fruiting at higher temps will often produce hollow, less dense stems.

Mycelium should be exposed to ambient room light from day of inoculation as has been known for many years.  Light is not a pinning trigger until after full colonization and an increase in air is given, and even then it's a secondary pinning trigger.
RR

--------------------

THIS HOBBY IS NOT FOR THE IMPATIENT! PLEASE BE PATIENT, DON'T BE A PATIENT!
A Tale of 10 Isolates, GT Cluster Clone Monotubs, RR's Let's Grow Mushrooms DVD,
SGFC(Shotgun Fruiting Chamber), Monotub Tek, Damion5050's Coir Tek, TL's Tek List, Frank's Tek List,
EvilMushroom666's Pasteurization Tek, How It Should & Shouldn't Look - NEW CULTIVATORS GUIDE
  ^*~.,,.~*^*~.,_,.~*^*~.,_SHIT FOR NOOBS_,.~*^*~.,_,.~*^*~.,_,.~* 

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #19728071 - 03/21/14 02:14 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
There's a reason these dumb incubator threads haven't been bumped in 9 years. . .
RR

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation