Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
White House slammed for creating fake news
    #3601588 - 01/09/05 01:03 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

By Ceci Connolly
The Washington Post
SATURDAY, JANUARY 8, 2005

WASHINGTON - Shortly before last year's Super Bowl, many news stations aired a story by Mike Morris describing plans for a new White House ad campaign on the dangers of drug abuse.
  What viewers did not know was the Morris is not a journalist and his "report" was produced by the government, actions that constitute illegal "covert propaganda," according to an investigation by the Government Accountability Office (GAO).
  In the second ruling of its kinds, the investigative arm of Congress this week scolded the Bush administration for distributing phony, prepackaged news reports that include a "suggested live intro" for anchors to read, interviews with Washington officials and a closing that mimics a typical broadcast news sign-off.
  Although television stations knew the materials were produced by the materials were produced by the Office of National Drug Control Policy, nothing in the two-minute, prepackaged reports would indicate to viewers that they came from the government or that Morris, a former journalist, was working under contract for the government.
  "You think you are getting a news story, but what you are getting is a paid announcement," said Susan Poling, managing associate general counsel at GAO. "What is objectionable about these is the fact the viewer has no idea their tax dollars are being used to write and produce this video segment."
  The GAO in May concluded that the Department of Health and Human Services violated two fedral laws with similar fake news reports touting the administration's new Medicare drug benefit. When that opinion was released, officials at the drug-control office decided it was not worth pursuing, he said.
  The prepackaged news pieces represent a fraction of the anti-drug messages distributed by the office, Riley said. Production and distribution of the video news released cost about $155,000.
  Riley said broadcast stations were fully aware they were receiving materials akin to printed press releases that producers could "slice and dice it however they want."
  In one video, titled "Urging Parent to Get the Facts Straight on Teen Marijuana Use," news station were provided a script for the news anchor. It reads: "Despite the facts that marijuana is the most widely used illicit drug seriously. Now the nation's drug seriously. Now the nation's drug experts in health, education and safety have joined the drug czar to speak directly to parents about about the serious risks of teen marijuana use. Mike Morris has more."
  After interview snippets with "drug czar" John Wlaters, who heads the drug-control policy office, and other experts, the story closes with the voiceover: "This is Mike Morris reporting."
  In antoher, the announcer appears to be "reporting" on a news conference by drug-control officials, when "in reality they are just paid to say a scrpit," Poling said. "In essence, they're actors."
  The drug-control agency distributed at least seven packaged news reports to 770 TV stations.  At least 300 news shows used some portion of the materials, although it was impossible to determine how many aired the full, prepackaged story or only portions such as "sound bites," Riley said.
  If the videos had been identified as coming from the federal agency, that would have been legal, Poling said.  But the television package looks like an authentic piece of independent journalism.
  "The critical element of covert propaganda is the concealment of the agency's role in sponsoring the materials," GAO wrote to Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., who requested the Jan. 4 report.
  "It is illegal to use taxpayer dollars to influence public opinion surreptitiously," Waxman said Thursday. "Unfortunately, this is the second time in less than a year that GAO has caught the Bush administration violating a fundemental principle of open government."

-----------

Excuse any typos as I am copying this from a newspaper clipping.  So what do you think?  The propaganda machine is still hard at work spewing out bullshit at us.  How can we throw a proverbial wrench into the gears? :bong: :spliff: :stash: :mushroom2: :thumbup: :cool:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineImagican
Stranger
Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3602849 - 01/09/05 09:45 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The easiest way is to inform everyone you come in contact with that the machine we call TV is nothing more than the means by which we are lied to most. When you consider that 95% of the media is controlled by a couple of companies that have serious political ties then what more can you expect than to be lied to and filled with their propaganda.

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: Imagican]
    #3603047 - 01/09/05 10:45 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yep, looks like there won't be any drugs around for you to get high on.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: Imagican]
    #3603048 - 01/09/05 10:45 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That is crazy. But they are acting like the news is not paid advertising anyways. Everyones got an agenda.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: tak]
    #3603534 - 01/09/05 01:08 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

root-ninja-tak said:
That is crazy. But they are acting like the news is not paid advertising anyways. Everyones got an agenda.

But this one was paid for by the money they take out of your check every week.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: GabbaDj]
    #3603682 - 01/09/05 01:44 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Anybody here ever heard of "franking." I believe it's what they call the practice of Representatives and Senators sending mass mailings back to their constituencies touting their "accomplishments" in Washington. Every nickel of this is at taxpayer expense and it's a lot of nickels.

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3603853 - 01/09/05 02:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

So the Bush administration lies to the public, wastes our tax dollars, and doesn't listen to authority. And this is called news?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: DNKYD]
    #3604012 - 01/09/05 03:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

What specific lie are you refering to? Doesn't congress control the budget? And what authority do you suppose the highest elected official in the land should be listening to?

Lieing about drugs has been a fact of American government for nearly a hundred years, if not more. The hair splitting by the GAO over whether this would have been legal if it had been identified specificly as a government release is questionable and would merit nothing more than a cease and desist

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3605273 - 01/09/05 08:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I wouldn't believe it if the Washington Post is the only paper making the claim. I don't give a damn about mailings.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #3605384 - 01/09/05 08:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Private corporations have been doing this kind of thing for years! The government is only playing catchup, now :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: trendal]
    #3605466 - 01/09/05 09:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
Private corporations have been doing this kind of thing for years! The government is only playing catchup, now :wink:

That's why it's very scary

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: DNKYD]
    #3605613 - 01/09/05 09:44 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DNKYD said:
That's why it's very scary

That is why I don't watch TV anymore. That is also why I don't believe shit unless I see it properly documented.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: trendal]
    #3607705 - 01/10/05 12:44 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:

Playing catchup now?????  You must be joking.  Check this little shorty  http://www.techcentralstation.com/011005G.html  for a small history lesson and a premonition of what is to come.  Wake up little ones.  The eyes of a child are filled with wonder at the curl of smoke from a spent match.  The rest of us just drop it.  Caveat Emptor, babies.

--------------------

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: White House slammed for creating fake news [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3611882 - 01/11/05 09:15 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

what are you blabbing about. I have plenty of drugs around to get high on, including the ones my brain produces itself. That's right.

--------

``There are some things the general public does not need to know and shouldn't. I believe democracy flourishes when the government can take legitimate steps to keep its secrets, and when the press can decide whether to print what it knows..''
-Katherine Graham, owner of the Washington Post, to a class of CIA recruits in Langley, 1988-Nov

--------------------

Edited by SWEDEN (01/11/05 10:06 AM)

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3612137 - 01/11/05 10:44 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Perhaps I can train my brain to release DMT on demand ....

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale