Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
The woes of rye
    #3603858 - 01/09/05 04:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I have attempted to prepare and inoculate rye three times, each time meeting with failure. While I have not completely despaired just yet, I grow weary of such time-consuming failures. Soaking, rinsing, simmering, rinsing again, cleaning and sterilizing the jars and lids, cutting out Tyvek squares, cutting out aluminum foil squares, and then pressure cooking is a LONG and involved process--much longer than a novice such as myself would think upon reading the teks of the venerable elders on this site. the problem is that nothing happens to the jars in the incubator, and no amount of patience or waiting seems to help. i am led to believe that my dilemma is the result of a dearth of moisture in the rye jars. i thought that they looked okay at inoculation, but i am now not so certain they weren't way too dry to begin with. after reading some conflicting advice about simmering times and the negative results that having too many split open rye grains produces, i opted for a shorter simmer time of about 20 minutes. my last attempt i simmered for 30 minutes and only pc for 45 min and the jars came out so dry i didn't even bother to inoculate them. it is extremely unlikely the jars are losing water while being pc'd. so is my moisture problem one of simmer time? or something else? i suppose i should've started with BRF but i was told not to do so in quart jars, which are the kind i have, and i am not going to spend any more money for smaller jars. hopefully some of you sage and knowledgeable shroom gurus can help me get and keep some moisture in my rye jars. thanks.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblembuck7
PooNaNNy Lover
Re: The woes of rye [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3603897 - 01/09/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i feel your pain my friend, I've been there. i've heard conflicting teks disputing the whole project. I soak for 16 hrs, simmer for 45 min( 45 from start of simmer, sometimes I end up with 3% rye opened and sometimes its more like 6% opened, i stick with 45 min simmer) I pc for 1 hr and shake the jar directly after the pressure reduces, after the jar cools I inoculate and shake the holy shit out of it again. Its taken as much as 6 days to see growth, teks differ som much that its really hard to say 1 is set in stone.

KEEP AT IT, YOU'LL GET IT!!!!!!!!!! WE ALL FAIL AT TIMES (I do anyway, i can't speak for other)

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
Re: The woes of rye [Re: mbuck7]
    #3604222 - 01/09/05 05:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

thank you friend. i have just enough rye for about 3 more jars--i will definitely simmer for 45 minutes this time and shake immediately after the pressure regulator has dropped. if i fail to get moist enough rye i'll be forced to go the PF tek cake route, which in hindsight i probly should've followed first anyway. ah well. i'm three steps ahead of a rye newb, even if they are three failures. persistence and persaverence are keys to change and success. thanks.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
    #3607058 - 01/10/05 09:59 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

just curious, how long are you waiting before inocculation? I noticed you didn't mention that. I usually give my jars a day or two just to make sure that everything was killed in there. As long as you keep the lids covered with foil they shouldn't dry out at all during that time. You'd also be surprised at just how long those jars can hold heat. They may be cool to the touch on the outside, but the core of the rye might be hot enough to kill the spores. The other advantage of waiting a couple days before knockin' up the jars is that you don't over work yourself in one day. If you're overworked you tend to mess up... at least that's my experience.

Also, you didn't mention what type of failure you were having. Are you getting contamination? Is it failing to colonize? What type of incubator set up do you use with the jars after you inocculate? They need to be kept at 85F during the incubation period. It may take up to a week to even notice anything, depending on the strain. If you're impatient, try using a fast colonizing strain. I just grew some Koh Samui that showed colonization signs in four days.

Also, what type of rye are you using? If it's not organic it might have fungicides on it or something... I've never used non-organic rye so I don't know if commercial pesticides/fungicides have an effect but it's probably worth considering.

Anyhow, here's the method I have used with great success: Elevation will change cooking times. I'm at about 850ft. 24hr soak, 45min simmer (bring to boil, boil approx 2min, reduce to simmer, start time), rinse in cold water, jar and then 45min in PC at 15PSI. Hasn't failed for me yet, even on the first time.

I suggest sticking with rye because when it works well it really works well.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

#3607811 - 01/10/05 03:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

spores101 has GREAT rye jars!!!

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3608459 - 01/10/05 05:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If the dry rye isn't as small as a uncooked grain of rice and hard it isn't dry. 20 minutes isn't close enough time. The simmer is where the moisture is added. Rye will often look dry when done pc'ing but if the kernels haven't shrunk much it's fine. As far as the burst rye during simmering I never really cared about it much. I'll let 10% of the kernels burst and have never seen a bad thing. burst or not if there are no bacteria spores alive in there it isn't gonna contam. Contams just don't appear cause of the contam ferry out of nowhere.

If ya get contams you fucked up, simple as that.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation