Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
SIRCAM Virus
    #360148 - 07/24/01 04:22 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I noticed mjshroomer was recieving the same annoying emails as me.... Heres a question though, Club99 Said mj was infected, how can that be?

I thought its the people you are getting emails from are infected. I never open attachments, etc. So how could I be infected? My Norton didn't find anything, and I know its upto date as of today.

And what do I do to block emails from the people that are infected, its driving me nuts :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

Re: SIRCAM Virus [Re: Thor]
    #360191 - 07/24/01 05:13 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

This is from tomshardware.com

<hr>

I send you this file in order to have your advice

I?m putting this latest virus into the category of ?most juvenile and irritating stunt of 2001.? Here at THG?s San Francisco office, this virus/worm/whatever the heck else you want to call it has already given us a ton of email in both English and Spanish. Luckily, we?re smart (OK, say experienced) enough to avoid clicking on executable attachments to email messages even if the message looks like it?s from our mother. According to Symantec, where you might want to go if you think this little worm has infected your machine, you should delete messages that have the following text:

Spanish Version:
First line: Hola como estas ?
Last line: Nos vemos pronto, gracias.

English Version:
First line: Hi! How are you?
Last line: See you later. Thanks

Between these two sentences, some of the following text may appear:

Spanish Version:
Te mando este archivo para que me des tu punto de vista
Espero me puedas ayudar con el archivo que te mando
Espero te guste este archivo que te mando
Este es el archivo con la informaci=n que me pediste

English Version:
I send you this file in order to have your advice
I hope you can help me with this file that I send
I hope you like the file that I sendo you
This is the file with the information that you ask for

Delete messages that have this text and follow the steps on Symantec?s site to rid yourself of this thing. It has the potential to fill up your hard drive and send your personal files off to folks you don?t know. I honestly wish that the purveyors of these little bombs would wake up and realize that they?re not just throwing crap into the backyard of Corporate Amerika, but into the yards of their neighbors. Yep, we all know that computers aren?t perfect, we know that it?s possible to write viruses, but if you?re such a computer genius, why don?t you try to fix problems instead of making things harder for those of us trying to use these things to make a living? Other stories about this extremely irritating prank can be found at Overclockers.com, The Inquirer, and Reuters.

3dshroom@shroomery.org
http://www.shroomery.org

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood loon

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: SIRCAM Virus [Re: 3DSHROOM]
    #360199 - 07/24/01 05:26 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Here are the instructions to get rid of it, follow them and dont expect your anti-virus to fix the entire problem. Your AV will quaritine/delete the infected files but you wont be able to run any executable files (*.exe) if you do it that way. Its pretty simple, even for in-experienced people.

Hopefully this one will hit real hard, at 60$ per computer could you blame me, specially when you can do 5+ an hour

You approach the turnstiles and know
that when you get there you have to give
the man two dollars or he won't let you
inside but when you get there everything
goes wrong.

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #360244 - 07/24/01 07:09 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah but I'm saying that I don't think I have the virus... Just because the virus was sent to me by 3 different people, doesn't mean I have it right?

I've done virus scans, searched for the particular files from this virus and I've found nothing... I never run executables from emails so its not possible for me to have been infected right?

Its just mjshroomer said the same thing, that he was getting harassed and yet Club99 told mjshroomer that he had the virus.. How can you get the virus withouth executing it?

Seems people are not understanding this virus, or I am totally stupid.... But I've read up on the virus, you have to run the .bat file in order to get infected, just recieving emails from people who have the virus is not enough.

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #360872 - 07/25/01 06:04 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

your right, you cant get it without executing the file... and i dont see where anyone told you otherwise, i just see a bunch of info concerning the thing, and how to get rid of it... if you think you might have it but your AV isnt picking it up go through the directions of getting rid of it and see if any of its charictoristics are there... or you could switch to a good e-mail client like pine and not have to worry about such petty things like e-mail worms ;)

goes wrong.

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #362306 - 07/28/01 12:59 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I troubleshoot computers everday. Right now the Sircam virus is the #1 fastest spreading virus amoung home users. It is made to do the most damage on Oct. 16 -... (well, Oct something.. maybe a diferent day) 2001. For people in europe where the computer's clock uses a date/day/year format the serious damage starts. Due to a bug, it dosent profilate to other's email address's when ran under Window's 2000, Win NT, or Windows XP Beta (for those that can find XP Beta). The antivirus sites have many ways of detecting this thing. One can simply can search for certain *.exe files, run online virus scans/tools etc... In fact my wife was recently sent this virus via yahoo. We simply deleted it, and deleted the trash. The scans shown no infection. Now, some worms infect older versions of Outlook Express simply by the user RIGHT clicking on the file to deleted it! Best advise is to advoid Outlook Express, or at least be sure and to keep Outlook Express updated with the lates patces. Anyone running a version of Outlook Express prior to 5.0 is in danger of cathing an email virus by trying to delete it.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineOdd_Snail
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #362325 - 07/28/01 01:42 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

some people have nothing better to do than make viruses and fuck around with other peoples lives.
they could be out making probably a lot of money in the computer biz but no they just have to sit on their duff and ruin shit. no lives i tell ye.

"It tastes like...burning.." -Ralph Wiggum.

>If you are not wasted, then the day is.<

--------------------
Darlene: "Ted, I got you this new nose plug to stop you from snoring at night."
Ted: "Uh yeah, and I got you this paper bag to stop you from looking like James Brown in the Morning."
Darlene: "Oh come now, I don't look anything like James Brown."
Ted: "Hey kids, who does your mom look like in the morning?"
Kids... in unison: "James Brown!"
Darlene, "All right, thats enough... It's poison spaghetti for dinner tonight."

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: SIRCAM Virus [Re: Jammer]
    #362471 - 07/28/01 11:04 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

no offense but i figure soemone who troubleshoots computers everyday would have already made it to MS's Beta mailing list, i just got my RC1 cd the other day, and XP's shaping up to be pretty good, other then the fact the a whole bunch of people are angry there using the thumbprints to keep from pirating, and there actually going to have to pay for one of MS's OS's. Imagine that paying for software that someone else wrote who would make someone do that kind of thing.

anyway my point is... its not all that bad of a viruis (just like all the others) if people used some commen sense. And there were no such things as bugs in programs, but i dont see that happening any time.

Also a little off topic, but for those people that are going to complain that MS is integrating too much, shut up! If something bundled isnt doing everything that the user wants their going to find something else... if what they find isnt as high quality and they go back to the bundled, its not MS's fault they can program. I guess my point here is im sick and tired of people putting MS down because they make good software and "give" it to people with there "severly overpriced" OS, hasnt anyone thought that maybe if they didnt give you all the extras it might not cost as much? I see nothing wrong with joe blow going to the store buying one cd at 200$ thats going to do EVERYTHING he needs it to do, why should he go buy a say 25$ OS, and another quite possably more that 175$ worht of other software to do what he wants?!

sorry just a little off topic venting, but if anyone want to create a new thread and challenge me on anything against MS ill give it my all.

goes wrong.

InvisibleCLuB99
lost somewhere in time and space
Male User Gallery

Loc: my mind
    #368140 - 08/07/01 11:21 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

yes thor you're right....i didn't explain correctly...i told to mj that all the mails he were getting are from virus infections, i didn't stated that he was infected for sure. I just suggested to check his pc and posted instructions to how to remove it....
yes you need to open the attachment with the sircam, but some viruses starts the infection just opening the mail msg.

IL_FUNGO_SACRO la coltivazione, gli enteogeni, in italiano
Support the FSR

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #370680 - 08/12/01 03:37 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I know an idiot that paid a so called "tech" $150.00 to install a new HD in her PC because he said, "The Sircam virus ate holes in your HD" Whether she really got a new HD or not, I don't know.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order