Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Cannabis Problems and Solutions.
    #3596479 - 01/07/05 11:44 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Last yeat I grew a beautiful organic plant, but because of various problems with mold etc, I didnt pay enough attention to flushing , and my organic cannabis didnt turn out as good as I had hoped.

Fast forward to this year(INDOORS) because of a lack of funds , I didnt create as healthy a soil as I could have.

I used something CALLED "organic top soil" from my local nursery, the trouble is this soil has sticks in it!, and even rocks sometimes  :mad:, but I filtered it the best I could and mixed it with some verm, a little sand, kiln fired clay pebbles , and a little touch of cottenseed meal (for some of my plants)

I used the same basic mix(more or less) for all of my new plants, Jacks Suprise x Afghanica , and Magic Crystal, in my logs I have detailed the problems that resulted , and I will post pics(both here , and in my logs)

I have done alot of reading(I dont have a net connection right now) , old cannabis mags that I have , things I printed out etc.

I would like some feedback on my plan.

I am going to use a mix that I have wanted to try for sometime.......

Quote:

The bulk of the mix- 70% of the finished product is made up of equal parts peat or sphagnum moss (I prefer corse cut sphagnum moss) and perlite.
Then worm castings are mixed in to about 15% of the fineshed product. About 10% of the finished product is made up of some kind of organic compost, either green or brown. Any rich green manure will do, or bat/seabird guano or seaweed for that matter. The final product is made up of a mixture of equal parts trace mineral elements , granulated charcoal,  washed sand, and volcanic ash.

Thats a mix by DJ Short, and I plan to transplant my plants into it asap.

I also plan to pick up some Nematodes as I think that the flys that plaugued my garden might have even spread disease(when I post the pics maybe some of you will know what was wrong)

I also plan to buy some advanced nute products, iguana grow and bloom, organic B, and if I can afford them sensizym, voodoo juice,and piranha.
(I am VERY low on cash and waiting for a HUGE tax return, and a paycheck.....so for now I just want to keep my plants alive)

Mineral problems, disease, pests, nute problems, I will admit , I find indoor growing much harder then outdoor. (the worst part is, I am not even sure what all the problems were caused by, but I am learning)

With a proper soil mix,Nematodes and some good nutes, I think I can turn things around.  :laugh: :thumbup: (they already look better then in the pics, which were taken days ago)....pics soon.

I have more to say, and ask , as I think I have done some serious learning since my last post, tomorrow when I have more time I will add more to this thread, I have multiple things from cannabis culture mags I would like to post, etc.

--------------------

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (01/07/05 11:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: Cannabis Problems and Solutions. [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #3600690 - 01/08/05 09:53 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Screw organic. Switch to a 60/40 mix of coco and perlite. Add an inch or two of hydroton to the bottom of the pots to assist drainage and prevent wet feet. Invest in some quality nutes such as Canna.

Coco. It's not just for growing mushrooms in.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Problems and Solutions. [Re: Hanky]
    #3600748 - 01/08/05 10:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I plan to use the sphagnum moss /perlite mix that I stated and TRY, a coco perlite mix with some of my plants.

Its seems that when it comes to growing cannabis sphagnum moss / perlite or coco/perlite (verm etc) mixes are quite common.

I might even just buy some sunshine mix if I find it , but DJshorts mix of sphagnum moss / perlite seems awsome..... the reason I first thought about using coir was this article .... http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2504.html

As for "screw organic", well I cant agree with that, as the BEST cannabis in the world is soil grown organic.

--------------------

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3600960 - 01/08/05 10:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

well first,
the problem with sphagnum moss/ peat moss is the ph get really acidic after a few months,
this can sometime result in swings in your ph that can cause nutrient lock.

if you take the proper care this won't be a problem but if you don't watch for it can ruin a crop.

second, organic nutrients are not what grows the "BEST" pot. proper growing and good genetic grows the best pot.
you can technically grow faster, bigger,and more potent stuff with the proper blend and science behind your growing. you can achieve things not possible with only organic ferts.

advanced nutrients is the first nutrients designed for MJ, and well, they have grow specimen plants that are changing the pot world.

and it should be noted that organic gardening tends to only be a preferred method because of peoples assumption that chemical fertilizers are harmful to the consumer of the plants.
this is only true if the plants have not been properly flushed toward the end of growing.
plants metabolize the chemicals if they are stopped at a correct time.

organic are also problematic inside because they attract all kinds of bugs and animals!

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Problems and Solutions. [Re: zerozero]
    #3601045 - 01/08/05 11:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"and it should be noted that organic gardening tends to only be a preferred method because of peoples assumption that chemical fertilizers are harmful to the consumer of the plants. "

I prefer it for a number of reasons, one of which is that its the microbes that you feed anyway, so organic makes sense(as plants dont digest straight nutes)

--------------------

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3601221 - 01/08/05 11:35 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"I prefer it for a number of reasons, one of which is that its the microbes that you feed anyway, so organic makes sense(as plants dont digest straight nutes) "

whot?

plants don't digest anything,
and they use nutrients the same, organic or not.
and the point would be that the nutrients are gone when you are done, so it's not even an issue if done correctly.

and i have seen the best results when using organic nutrients and chemical fertilizers.
and many thing listed as organic nutrients are chemically based

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#3601381 - 01/09/05 12:07 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"and the point would be that the nutrients are gone when you are done, so it's not even an issue if done correctly."

Its not that simple.....

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2221.html
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2673.html
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3161.html

I am not going to change my plans, as the REASON I am growing cannabis is so that I can SMOKE ORGANIC Cannabis.

Organic Cannabis is better for countless reasons, I wish I still had a net connection, or at least some more time. (I have to run, but I will be back to defend my comments)

I like DMT's take on the subject ....

"The best quality bud will always be produced organically in soil. Hydroponic systems with synthetic nutrient formulas may produce better yields, but they will never touch the quality of the best soil-grown organic pot."

"Synthetic vs organic

On of the best things about growing in soil is how conductive it is to using organic source nutrients. Certainly it is possible to use organics in a hydro setup, but many who have tried simply find it to be too much trouble.

The organic versus synthetic fertilizer argument has been covered many times before, both in marijuana as well as normal gardening and farming circles. Proponents for synthetics often use the argument that a plant cannot tell organically derived nutrients from their synthetically derived rivals. Although this is true, what they don't mention is that with both organic and synthetic fertilizers, you are exposing your plants to much more than what is shown on the label.

The main downfall of synthetics is in the heavy metal contaminants like cadmium, lead, arsenic, zinc, which are often present in the formulation. Cadmium and arsenic for instance have been shown to cause cancer as well as other problems. Levels of these contaminants vary considerably between fertilizer brands and are also present in some amounts in organically based formulations.

Synthetic proponents often argue that organic fertilizers come from unknown sources which may contain many of the aforementioned contaminants. Proof is in the pudding, however, and recently the state of Washington has required all fertilizer companies to show the pudding. Take a look at their website and do the detective work yourselves. Most of the popular brands used by marijuana growers are listed along with their respective heavy metal contents.

By and large the organic fertilizers provided extremely clean sources of nutrients according to this database. It would seem that marijuana would be more likely than many plants to cause ill effects on humans from heavy metal contaminants, both because of its efficiency at accumulating them and because the product is often inhaled directly into the lungs. Cannabis is well known for its above ordinary ability to accumulate heavy metals as it has been used on many occasions to clean up contaminated soils. To my knowledge, no studies have been done on where these heavy metals accumulate within the plant."

--------------------

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
    #3601455 - 01/09/05 12:21 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hydroponically grown cannabis doesn't even come close to the quality of cannabis grown organically. hydroponic set ups may offer speed in growth and a heftier harvest weight but when it comes to quality and taste....it's left in the dust. my bud comes from the mud.

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3601480 - 01/09/05 12:31 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

dmt take on the subject is old info,
"The best quality bud will always be produced organically in soil. Hydroponic systems with synthetic nutrient formulas may produce better yields, but they will never touch the quality of the best soil-grown organic pot."

and this statement could be true or not but it is just someones idea.

new chemical fertilizers have removed toxic heavy metals and have made and effort to list all chemical contents. metals and all.

yield is not only the advantage of new chemical ferts. potency can be greatly increased.
advanced nutrients has been singling out nutrients that MJ uses and has been precisely measuring what the plant uses and doesn't use. this is how the potency is increased by identifying what the plant is using and what it isn't.

this testing is some of the first of it's kind, all fertilizers until then had be designed with tomatoes in mind, even organics. thus resulting in fertilizers that don't have exactly what MJ wants, and a bunch of what it doesn't.

keep in mind i have only been referring to Advanced Nutrients, they are a different breed of fertilizer company.

and as a long time gardener and organic proponent, I'm only trying to get rid of some of the myth behind what is actually wrong with gardening with chemical additives. i wasn't trying to make you change your gardening practices.

for the most part organic gardening is the way to go

Anonymous

#3602511 - 01/09/05 07:54 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Organic's cannabis is clearly the strongest around :stoned: :wink:

InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
    #3603228 - 01/09/05 11:45 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'd add a little bone meal to that mix. It's rich in phosphate. :thumbup:

You can't really do that outdoors because of the animals.

--------------------

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Problems and Solutions. [Re: ArmFromTheAbyss]
    #3603402 - 01/09/05 12:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Fuck soil in general. I grew in soil for a year before I switched to Organic Hydro. Grows plants twice as fast, and healthier than my soil grows (Fox Farm Grow and Big Bloom). I use a 20 Gal DWC tub with hydroton, using Pure Blend Pro Veg and Bloom, w/ suppliments of superthrive. I change the res every 2 weeks with fresh nutes ( or you can just top w/ weaker nute solution). You cant belive the results of hydro until youve tried it. :smile:

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Problems and Solutions. [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #3604087 - 01/09/05 03:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Organic hydro was my original plan, but now I have decided to get a couple of grows (indoors) under my belt before growing in a DWC bucket.

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#3604094 - 01/09/05 03:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I like advanced nutes, but I plan to buy some products from their Organic line.(I know they even have some "mostly" organic mixes, but I want PURE Organic Cannabis, thats why I am growing)

--------------------

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

#3604173 - 01/09/05 03:44 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Adv nutes are totally overrated and VERY over priced. I know psiloscybe you know "BOG" who grows buds that look 10x better than most grown with all the flashy nutes. He uses natural teas, pure blend pro, foxfarm nutes. Its all about exp.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds