Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
The Book
    #3600878 - 01/08/05 10:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This will be released (supposedly) sometime this month. The cheapest place is probably amazon.com .

950 pages.

thought i'd be kind and post this...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: The Book [Re: World Spirit]
    #3601164 - 01/08/05 11:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That would be an amazing book to have.

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: The Book [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #3601177 - 01/08/05 11:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for sharing. Whose the author (what are his affiliations?)

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Book [Re: headset]
    #3601219 - 01/08/05 11:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Christian Ratsch
He's basically a long-term researcher of psychactives especially in relation to shamanism and indigenous use. LSD inventor Albert Hofmann is at a minimum a colleague of Ratsch's, perhaps a personal friend.
He cowrote Plants of the Gods, which is a rather well-written book that has phenomenal pictures in it.

Invisiblehellbender

#3601283 - 01/08/05 11:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for pointing this out! But, wow... 60 bucks? I'll probably shell out for it though. Looks to be worth owning. Possibly one of his other books as well: "Gateway to Inner Space: Sacred Plants, Mysticism and Psychotherapy". Sounds interesting.

Offlineballs
thats right
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: The Book [Re: hellbender]
    #3601476 - 01/09/05 12:29 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Oh I most likely wouldnt regret buying it

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3602150 - 01/09/05 04:04 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I pre-ordered that book last spring on Amazon (for $40?)....  It was SUPPOSED to be released around Sep-2nd-2004....    :mad:

I had forgotten about it till I seen this post....!    I hope they really are shipping em' out this month....  :yesnod:

ChoW~, and thanx~ for posting this ENTER
>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3602250 - 01/09/05 05:08 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

that would be a great addition to anyones book collection :laugh:

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #3602560 - 01/09/05 08:14 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Enter said:
LSD inventor Albert Hofmann is at a minimum a colleague of Ratsch's, perhaps a personal friend.

No, probably just friends, R?tsch isn't a chemist, at least not that I know of. And R?tsch was probably in his teens when Hoffman retired. He only wrote a small intro to Plants of the Gods, BTW. But he's an extremely knowledgeable guy.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3602709 - 01/09/05 09:07 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Christian R?tsch did not really co-author "The Plants of the Gods."

And yes, he is a friend of Albert's but that is as far as it goes,. And they have lectured together as have I with both of them.

Anyway he is cool.

And as noted above i 2nd the notion that he did not write this book. See belwo my comments.
Although his name is listed as an author on the cover and title page of the book, he only updated and re-edited the orginal book by Richard Evans Schultes and Albert Hofmann edition of the book. If you lay the two books out side by side and read into them, he really did not much add much of anything different except in a few places throughout the book with a paragraph here or there.

Here are the two books side by side

and here is an ad for the orginal German edition of the Psychoactive Plants book fromm Naachtschatten publishing in Germany.

I think you can also go to their website for info on this book. Probably very expensive in the English edition.

Here is a picture of R?tsch used with permission from my cd-rom Mushroom Pioneers.

mj
The URL for the German edition

http://www.nachtschatten.ch./nv_main.htm

And it is a great book at that, Only a little mis-information int he shroom section carried over from other peoples pu lications and re-wriotten without checking up on updated corrections of others works.

mj

It is a masterpiece of a book.

Luckilly I can get it from homestead Book company for cost. They are my distributors for magic Mushroms fo the PNW and Magic Mushrooms of the Hawaiian Islands and for my cd-roms.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Book [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3603723 - 01/09/05 01:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for posting that, mj. Can you tell us a bit more about this gentleman? He seems to have contributed quite a bit, especially considering this book is going to be 950 pages long, probably including recipes and dosage level results.

What's he like in person?
What's he like when active?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3604014 - 01/09/05 03:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

HE is a soft spoken peaceful kinda guy. Very intelligent as to psychoactive plants. Not sure about any shrooms in his plant book since they are considered as different than plants.

I first corresponded with him when I and mark merlin contributed a chapter to his yearbook for Ethnomedicine and the study of Consciousness in the mid 1990s. Met him and Roger liggenstorffer in 1998 in Amsterdam. He was pretty cool, they gave me an autographed copy of their Maria Sabina book (in German)

InvisibleSlite
Lost in Life
 User Gallery
Loc: UK
    #3607947 - 01/10/05 01:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I would love to own that book but the price is insane.. As much as I'd like to read and own it there is no way I am shelling out that much for a book I haven't even skimmed through.. I might change my mind if I could see what it contained but the chance of finding it in a bookshop over here is minimal.

Can anyone suggest a similar book on ethnobotanicals which has a lower price tag?

--------------------
"You can either believe you can do something, or believe you can't.... either way your right"

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: The Book [Re: Slite]
    #3608068 - 01/10/05 02:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Books in the fields of science are always expensive. Like doctors who pay a fortune to become a doctor, so do Botanists, chemists and all those who study in certain fields of research.

books on how to build bridges and structual engineering or building small airplanes also cost a fortune.

Actuall that is a very cheap book for the cost. And yes it will be sold in regular large bookstores and any book store can order any book which is listed in Books in Print with an ISBN number.

So it will be available in England or the UK.

As I noted above, I can buy it from my distribution at cost so it would be 40% for me of the cover price.

Another book, now out of print which was selling at $30.00 a copy (The Psychedelics Encyclopedia) by Peter Stafford is now out of print. IT is currently being reprinted as six separate books at $14.00 a copy each.

Ott's out of print Pharmacotheon is over $40.00 asnd well worth it and no pictures.

Guzman's revised edition of The Genus Psilocybe will be priced at about $125.00.

Albert Hofmann and Richard Evans Schultes book the Botany and the Chemistry of the hallucinogens is worth a few hundred on ebey. IT was 100.00 bbrand new.

Lioncoff and Mitchels Poisonous and Hallucinogenic mushrooms was $40.00 and the Salzman and Ruebert's Poisonous shroom book was sixty./

Such is the price of knowledge.

The only strange trhing about this book is it is written from a European point of view. Much different than an English language point of view. Still it is a monumental work.

I have the oeriginal Heim ANd Wassonn's The hallucinogenic Mushrooms fo Mexico.

made on hand-made paper and printed by hand, it is two large volumes detailing (in French) all of the research which brought about the discovery of the Magic mushrooms and all of the chemical research, cultivation and psychological research conducted in the mid 1950s. Somethimes these two volumes which dozens of colored plates is valued at $800 to $3000 dollars and there were only 1000 copies published byu Wasson and Heim. OF course, all of the articles appeared in several French Journals and then were later reprinted into several other French journals int he late 19050s and early 1960s.

If one wants to learn about the japanese magic shrooms species in Japan, thent he two volume set of shroom books by hongo are bout $150.00. They show sever4al varieties of magic shrooms never seen in western books.

mj

The cost of educating oneself is expensive but worth every penny to obtain the knowledge.

mj

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3608350 - 01/10/05 03:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

There are several dozen different books, perhaps hundreds if you include out-of-print copies.
The best thing to do is go to the www.bn.com or www.amazon.com or even www.walmart.com and look for books written by the following authors:
Peter Stafford
Andrew Weil
Ralph Metzner
Paul Stamets
Albert Hofmann
Richard Evans Schultes
Christian Ratsch
Jim Dekorne
Jonathon Ott
Rick Strassman
Aldous Huxley
Terrence McKenna
Timothy Leary
Alexander Shulgin
Robert Forte
Richard Glen Boire
Daniel Pinchbeck

There are other names, of course, and some books contain works by several different authors.

Personally, I would avoid Leary with a twenty foot stick, but to each his own.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3608970 - 01/10/05 05:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Leary's books on shrooms would include High Priest and Flashbacks. They tell of how he found the mushrooms.

While Wasson made the rediscovery popular, it was Leary who brought them to Harvard and to the psychedelic community as an adjacent to psychotherapy.

Without his work, it might have been years later that they became popular. Because Wasson wrote so eloquently about them, not much heat is generated towards the shrooms or those who use them ocassionaly.

Using them and selling them are two different outlets of interpretation.

Notice that the majority of people busted for shroom growing are people who grow 25 pounds or more up to over 500 pounds. This is evident from all of the news item reports posted by me at my site. mj

Which also needs a big update coming soon.

Have a shroomy day.

If you cannot afford R?tsch book then buy Schultes and Hofmann's Plants of the Gods.

mj

or the cheap Hallucinogenic Plants Golden Garden Guide by Richard Evans Schultes (OP) or the even cheaper Ronin Publihsers book Nine Underground Classics which include shrooms, peyote, San Pedro, Natural Highs Mary Jane Super Weed, Legal Highs, etc.

I think it is a $12.00 book.

mj

InvisibleSlite
Lost in Life
 User Gallery
Loc: UK
    #3609700 - 01/10/05 07:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks guys, I will have a look around amazon for the authors recommended. I already own the essential TIHKAL and PIHKAL and am in the process of reading Terrence Mckennas Food of the Gods (very interesting)... looks like I have many more books to find and read now!

I agree that the knowledge to be gained from these books is worth every penny.. I just wish it was more easily accessable to people who can't afford to purchase every new book on a particular topic. That is were the internet comes in I guess... Sometimes I prefer to have information on paper though; it's easier on the eyes and it will always be available to me (I have too many dead links I have in my bookmarks).

--------------------
"You can either believe you can do something, or believe you can't.... either way your right"

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3609982 - 01/10/05 08:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This is why a lot of us now want the Shroomery (please!) to put up three more things:
1. An online library like the Psychedelic Library website has
2. A MPEG mini-movie library to watch education films on identifying certain mushrooms, growing tips, hunts in general, etc.
3. A certification course (or multiple courses) where people can take their time and eventually receive a legitimate and thoroughly useful online mycology degree.

If you like articles and news check out the following sites:
http://www.psychedelic-library.org/
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lsd/bookmenu.htm
http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/books_online.shtml
http://www.entheogenreview.com/
http://www.maps.org/
http://www.hofmann.org/
http://www.csp.org/practices/entheogens/entheogens.html
http://www.lycaeum.org/
http://www.theforestfloor.org/
http://www.mycotopia.net/site/news.php
http://www.leary.com/
http://www.blotterbarn.com/history.html

And just as there are tons of books out there, there are also tons of websites. I couldn't even begin listing 1/4th of them. They're everywhere.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3610487 - 01/10/05 10:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Invisiblehellbender

#3610592 - 01/10/05 11:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The only strange trhing about this book is it is written from a European point of view. Much different than an English language point of view.

Could you expand on that a bit? I'm curious to hear more.

Otherwise, to anyone who isn't sure about buying the book sight-unseen: if your local library or bookstore doesn't have it, try getting an inter-library loan. A library somewhere will have it and you can arrange to borrow it through the mail. You should only have to pay shipping costs that way and you can then browse the book for a couple of weeks before you decide.

Edited by hellbender (01/10/05 11:25 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order