Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Asimo
    #3600788 - 01/09/05 12:15 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Asimo [Re: motaman]
    #3601704 - 01/09/05 03:31 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome-O

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Asimo [Re: motaman]
    #3602663 - 01/09/05 10:49 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome, they're definitely making a lot of progress. I wish I had one so it could get beers from the fridge for me.

OfflineShagshow
Sit on It

Re: Asimo [Re: daussaulit]
    #3603476 - 01/09/05 02:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Asimo and similiar projects seem like they are going to become a pointless venture. Their only true noble use would be to serve and protect the handicapped. However the first prototype models are going to be far too expensive for most physically disabled people. So a bunch of rich lazy bastards are just going to buy them and fire their butlers, causing another squeeze on the lower to middle class jobs.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Asimo [Re: Shagshow]
    #3603495 - 01/09/05 03:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

interesting, they have come a ways.

machines always replace human jobs.  production lines, cars/trucks pretty much every machine is meant for making things easier meaning less time used meaning less moiney earned by the worker.

personally i think its more for soldiers.  far better to have an Asimo army than a human army.  keep AI outa them and we should be good to go :grin:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleEvilEwok
Stranger
Re: Asimo [Re: kadakuda]
    #3605912 - 01/10/05 01:00 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Is anyone creeped out by seeing that thing run around besides me?

Don't get me wrong I'd still like to have one :grin:

--------------------
Now go Home.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Asimo [Re: Shagshow]
    #3606805 - 01/10/05 07:12 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Asimo and similiar projects seem like they are going to become a pointless venture. Their only true noble use would be to serve and protect the handicapped. However the first prototype models are going to be far too expensive for most physically disabled people. So a bunch of rich lazy bastards are just going to buy them and fire their butlers, causing another squeeze on the lower to middle class jobs.

*laugh*  People said the same thing about the first automobiles.  Who in their right mind would trade in their horse and buggy for a car?  Long list of gripes about a car versus a horse and buggy follows...

1) it is the research that is important, not what the thing can do
2) asimo able to perform as a butler!?  too much television for some of us :wink:
3) a drastic reduction in the number of butler positions isn't really going to squeeze the lower middle class of jobs.  How many butlers do you happen to know personally?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineShagshow
Sit on It

Re: Asimo [Re: Seuss]
    #3613725 - 01/11/05 06:37 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not sure about how much people cared about replacing the jobs of horses with automobiles so I don't know how to even respond to that point. The importance of AI/robotic ability research is very debatable. Asimo could be programmed to perform simple butler tasks right now I'm sure, these type of abilities were on television when shows like Lost in space were popular, the dreams are now the reality that's nothing new when looking at the progress of technology. Butler positions is the least of my worries, unskilled labor is the main concern. Granted Asimo isn't going to attribute to this technological overtake on some of our labor communities, it isn't going to help, the butler thing was more of a joke described the usefulness for those who will be able to afford it. Don't take me too seriously either I'm just rantin. Peace

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
Re: Asimo [Re: Seuss]
    #3614346 - 01/11/05 09:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

2) asimo able to perform as a butler!? too much television for some of us

I agree with the other 2 points, but you seem to contradict yourself with this one.  None of the people who saw the first car beleived it could replace a horse for the wrong reasons.  Tires vs hooves, gas vs animal power, etc.

But back then, they never knew that by today, we'd have thousands of kilometers of paved roads, that off road tires could do as good as a horse and move 20x faster, or that there would be a gas station every few KMs even in the suburbs.

A good film on this subject is I Robot.

I'm not sure i'd be too comfortable with robots around either.  Anyone could 'hack' a stolen robot to kill.  One strong jab to the spine and it walks away. Hell it can be programmed to erase its own memory and just sit there.  The Predator unmanned mini-planes are a good example of war without risk.  Think how easy it would be for rich countries to send its 'troops' out to fight or control the poor.

But then again, maybe im just being paranoid.

:sun:

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

OfflineKrazieH8er
Re: Asimo [Re: RuNE]
    #3620357 - 01/12/05 09:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

AMAZING!!!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology