Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIxIAcidReignIxI
Stranger
outdoor cultivation idea
    #3600008 - 01/08/05 08:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I actually prefer to hunt for my mushrooms as opposed to growing them.  I had this idea to get some fresh manure or compost, maybe mix in some straw or grain, mix up a spore syringe, pick a nice shaded area, and inoculate the compost mixture with the syringe instead of using substrate cakes.  I'm not worried about getting an amazing yield, just a minimalistic approach with the hopes of getting a few extra mushrooms. Of course, a large yield wouldn't be frowned opon either :wink: Would this be a complete failure? Or does anyone have any suggestions as how to improve on this idea? I'm not in the best monetary situation, so please remember that I'm attempting to be minimalistic and economical.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: outdoor cultivation idea [Re: IxIAcidReignIxI]
    #3600250 - 01/08/05 09:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

u should read some of the simple to do outdoor teks located in the FAQ at the drop down bar at the top of the screen!

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
Re: outdoor cultivation idea [Re: IxIAcidReignIxI]
    #3600280 - 01/08/05 09:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The short answer: if you tried to inoculate a compost or substrate pile outdoors it will almost certainly fail. There's a chance it won't, but not a very good one.

A much, much better plan would be to make some spawn (grain/corn/rye), inoculate and colonize that, then break it up and spread it in between layers of manure/compost/straw. That way, each bit of broken-up spawn acts as an inoculation point for the bulk substrate (man/comp/straw), plus it has the benefit of already being fully developed mycelium, ergo it won't contaminate as easily, especially outdoors. Do a search for Moe's Outdoor Tek, or Flower Pot Tek (very similar, just not in the ground!).

Outdoor teks work WONDERS, if the temperature is right and the conditions are managable (wet/dry enough.)

Hope that helped! Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

[EDIT]: A four-pack of quart jars can't cost more than $4, and rye costs next to nothing. For a cheap and easy method, make four quart jars (only uses about one syringe-worth), that should be plenty of spawn for an average sized hole that'll fruit several times.

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

Edited by Drink_Punk_Soda (01/08/05 09:57 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation